• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon League - Browser-Based Pokemon MMORPG

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
Years
  • Hello! welcome to my thread and thank you for your interest.

Introduction
    I am Silver and I present to you my pokemon fan-game - Pokemon League.
    Pokemon League is a browser-based MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) game and currently I am the only one working on it. Pokemon League is not a new concept/project, I started it around 2 years ago but I stopped developing it twice throughout this time, I have been actually developing it for around 6 months.

Now I started working on it again because I feel like a decent pokemon MMORPG is needed. I started Pokemon League 2 years ago for that same reason, I couldn't find any good enough pokemon MMORPG to play (browser or client based, didn't matter). I did develop another browser-based game before and that is how I learned PHP (also used for Pokemon League).

The Game
    Spoiler:

Preview
    This is the User Interface, compact & lightweight. Adding a mini-map, contact list and messaging system is scheduled for open beta 2.
    Spoiler:

The Pokemon Center, You deposit your pokemon and leave them to heal, 5HP every minute. Rate will probably change and become more complex and dependant on various factors.
    Spoiler:

Battling with wild pokemon is around 50% done.
    Spoiler:

Manage party. Pokemon in Pokemon League can learn 6 moves, but this is debatable.
    Spoiler:

Assistance
    I planned to make a thread for my game later but I need some help right now, to speed up progress and focus on what I am good at and let some other people (you) help with stuff that is not my strong point.

I am looking for:
    2 Testers.
    1 Mapper
    You should have experience with mapping, you can map with the program of your choice.

Communication will be done through an IM (skype/MSN/yahoo messenger, w/e)

Anyone that wants to help and knows that he has a skill that can help in some way should reply/pm me.
    I am looking for ideas, suggestions and feedback, always :)

My respects and appreciation to: (aka credits, w/e)
    Spoiler:

P.S: I love to answer questions.

Last edited:

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    Honestly it looks a bit too much like crater.
    Any chance of 4th and 5th gen pkmn?

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
    Years
  • Honestly it looks a bit too much like crater.
    Crater has old tiles, no animation and bad movement, bad maps, I find pokemon in non-grass areas, etc. Everything is kind of tiring, 'unsmooth' and 'unpokemonish'. Most pokemon browser games I have seen are like that.
    I am trying to make the difference with pokemon league, making it most natural and close to the official pokemon games.

Any chance of 4th and 5th gen pkmn?
    Yes, but most likely after the official, full-featured, launch of server 'Blue' (which I have scheduled for 1/1/2011).

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH !!! Niceness, it looks decent enough to me, i'd love to try it!

Glad to hear that mate! I will create some support banners for those that would like to help spread the world about pokemon league. The first beta test is coming fast!

(and) Once I have some maps finished, I will make a video to show you more accurately how pokemon league is different.

Some more information:

1. Update: I finished compiling that new tileset myself, took me a day, and still it's not perfect but good enough to make some satisfying maps.
    2. Update: Made a major update in the map editor, making it possible to add a second tile in the background, probably map editors in RMXP and stuff have this already but I didn't and it really is one big step.
    3. Items in the NPC Mart are limited to the very basic ones, that is to encourage item selling/buying between players (which is possible through the bazaar) and to make players that are 'Traders' have customers.
    4. There won't be any advertisements in Pokemon League.
    5. 'Breeders' will be able to learn moves to their pokemon, from their moveset, for a cost and according to their skill.
    6. EV and IVs are integrated, lvl up/learn move/battle mechanics are mostly like the officials

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • This laughs at that Pokemon Forces MMO on this page.
    I love what I'm seeing. I'm seeing real proof, real images, a nice interface and the 6 moves thing. I totally love it.
    But still, why does Charmander have Scratch multiple times in his moveset ?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Looks very interesting, and I wish you luck. Does the "group" button refer to the concept of playing in small parties akin to the anime?

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
    Years
  • Thank you guys for your kind works.
    But still, why does Charmander have Scratch multiple times in his moveset ?
    Don't mind that, I was messing around and I forgot about it :P. Charmander was my really commited testing pal, unfortunately he got wiped out in a test.

Does the "group" button refer to the concept of playing in small parties akin to the anime?
    Not exactly. I wanted to do something like that at first but I can't really think of how it would work (if anyone would like to share an idea, you're more than welcome).
    Groups / alliances are an organized group of players that generally work together. A group can control territories where they can have their HQ, Bank and group's trade center & bazaar and can also conquer other group's territories. I think it's a great idea, adding some strategy elements to the game and will be further developed until finally implemented.

Some updates:

• I implemented catching your first pokemon. It is always LVL 5 and you have 100% chance to catch it (generally catching pokemon was done long ago, this is special).
    • I implemented boat travel through the big 4 cities, still very basic but working properly, enough to do its job.
    • Blacking out works now.
    • Learning moves & overwritting if slots are full is done also.
    • Until yesterday I thought of launching the beta today - satuday 16th octomber - but now I decided to not to.
    • There are enough features for a beta but I wanted to program moves and make battles smoother. I didn't want some people to walk away dissapointed and never come back, also the pressure was affecting my work efficiency so I won't set a date now.
    • I will have the forum open for you that would like to support, contribute and follow the progress more closely.
    • I am still looking for testers though, and mappers too (more important).

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
    Years
  • I am still looking for mappers (you can map with the tool of your choice), game moderators (high availability required) and forum moderators (good english required).
    I could also use some help from a PHP developer now and then.

=================
    Updates: (copied from the minor updates log thread)
    =================
    16-Octomber-2010
    FORUM: Deleted 4500 acounts (95% bots)
    FORUM: Transfering wiki articles to forum posts
    FORUM: Putting up important information & preparing for launch
    17-Octomber-2010
    Redesigned maps & system, game is much faster now.
    Updated pokedex' design.
    Added a chance/rate to find pokemon in evolved forms.
    You can see more information on the trainer's window now.
    Some security improvements.
    18-Octomber-2010
    Programmed PP consumption
    Go into programming moves, now status moves are supported.
    Battle interface design improvements.
    Pokemon party interface design improvements.
    Laying out the foundations for move animations
    Pokemon League - Browser-Based Pokemon MMORPG

Redesigned miravya island's concept/design
    Learning moves & overwritting if slots are full is done also.
    19-Octomber-2010
    Updated stat calculation formulas.
    EXP related game mechanic fixes.
    Ability related game mechanic fixes.
    20-Octomber-2010
    PP are shown below moves now.
    status moves fixes.
    Damage formula updated to D/P
    security improvements.
    javascript code improvements.
    60% of surf is done
    21-Octomber-2010
    Finallized damage calculation for now.
    Added support for pokemon's status in the catch change calculation formula.
    Updated login & ingame designs.
    HP bars in battle now change color according to percentage.
    Location and pokebucks are now shown when you have the mouse over the map.
    Pokemon party: EXP bar is fixed.
    Pokemon party: caught with & caught on (date) is now shown.
    EV limits have been programmed
    Some other EV & IV changes
    Programmed critical hits
    database structure optimizations
    added more details in trainers sigs
    added number of seen&caught pokemon in pokedex
    22-Octomber-2010
    new forum design
    update sig issues with pokemon background
    you can now give nicknames to your pokemon (when you catch them)
    HP bar animation
    EXP Bar in battle
    total playtime counting
    added a bug to the known bugs thread
    now player will tose turn when he uses a pokeball and the pokemon is not caught.
    major interface update
    23-Octomber-2010
    introduced background feature, will add more options later
    change in the system that calculates level of wild pokemon you encounter
    added animation when you use an item in battle to heal HP
    added support for miss (accuracy & evasion)
    fixed the bug that wild pokemon didnt have & consume PP
    other bug fixes in battle
    I can add NPC now (NPCs: 15% finished)
    24-Octomber-2010
    fixed movement
    bag code optimization
    key-items can not be given to be held by pokemon now
    Added custom scrollbar in pokedex
    learning moves updated to support new system
    security updates for NPC services (pkmn center, npc mart, trade center)

25-Octomber-2010
    chat was designed (15% done)
    fixed forget & overwrite move
    wild pokemon consume PP now (overall: 80% done)

26-October-2010
    Major Update: Speed is now supported, faster pokemon attacks first, like in the official pokemon games. Organized and commented the 'attack' code more efficiently and started adding the foundations for NPC so I can use the same code.

27-October-2010
    Improved the foundation for coding moves individually.
    Wild pokemon battles sometimes give you items
    NPC battles give you pokebucks
    Wild & NPC battles give you REP ( reputation ) points

28-October-2010 - 29-October-2010
    I haven't been updating this post properly these days.
    Chat is 90% done
    Trade center, as of current specifications, is 90% done
    Started using git for versioning system
    UI update.
    Started implementing activity metering system
    bug fixes
    security improvements
    added Gen V sprites

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    I want to help!

First off, i wanna be a beta tester for sure! and second, i want to help sooo bad and be a part of this, but i don't know jack about php or anything :'( but i will be an admin or whatever.

Will94

Trainer Card Maker
    Years
  • This looks great!
    On the characters, will we be customising how our player looks? Just so that everyone doesn't look the same?
    Also with catching the starter Pokemon, what is the selection of starters??

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
    Years
  • First off, i wanna be a beta tester for sure! and second, i want to help sooo bad and be a part of this, but i don't know jack about php or anything :'( but i will be an admin or whatever.

You can send me a private message with your MSN address (if you have one, otherwise some other instant messenger id), so we can talk and see how you can help :)

hmm looks good :D keep working at it :D

Hey thanks :classic:

This looks great!
    On the characters, will we be customising how our player looks? Just so that everyone doesn't look the same?
    Also with catching the starter Pokemon, what is the selection of starters??
    Yes you will be able to customize your trainer looks :) (I have seen this suggested a lot of times and its a pretty cool feature so why not)

Those pokemon can be found at the starting towns/city
    Ironview City: Rattata, Eevee, Pidgey, Doduo, Elekid, Pichu
    Lavared Town: Charmander, Cyndaquil, Growlithe, Ponyta, vulpix, Magby
    Galletia Town: Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Oddish, Bellsprout, Caterpie, Weedle
    Corennia Town: Squirtle, Totodile, Poliwag, Azurill, Psyduck, Krabby

List might change, if you think a pokemon doesnt fit to be a starter or have a better one to suggest, I will be happy to consider it.

rockeymon

Real life Silver Shirubaa
    Years
  • Zeko, we are currently not looking for beta testers because we are working on getting the game even testable. For now just stick around while we get the game set up and as soon as there is an official beta launch that you can test we will let you all know :).

~rockeymon

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • really? doesnt he ask in the first post?

If someone has requested beta testers and your post is only going to be a response to that response then it would probably be better if you were to contact that person with a VM or PM to avoid cluttering the thread.

Back