• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Liberation

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2015
    INTRO
    I'm new to the site and to ROM hacking entirely, but I decided to make my own game and see how it went. Because I have no interest or skill in scripting the game, I did everything else I could instead. So without changing the general game flow, I've drastically altered the story and battles to the point they feel like a new gameplay experience. I'm not going to say the game is perfect, and I know of a few bugs (none that crash the game though!), but if you can overlook a few technicalities I'm sure you'll find an enjoyable and new-feeling take on the Pokemon games. Enjoy!​

STORY
    This is by far the most changed area of the game. The story starts in Kanto (locations are not changed whatsoever in this hack), but Team Rocket has taken over the region and enslaved both the population and the Pokemon. Because of this, the trainers you encounter are mostly Rockets and the gyms have also been taken over by Team Rocket. You must travel the region, saving the towns and, ultimately, defeating the Rocket bosses now staying at the Indigo Plateau. The story is a big change from the ancient feel of Pokemon games where you ALWAYS DO THE SAME THING AGAIN AND AGAIN- BEAT GYMS AND BECOME CHAMPION. In this hack, you actually have conflict and an enemy to overcome; you know, like in a real story. You're also a major underdog seeing as how Team Rocket was strong enough to take over the region. The gyms are A LOT tougher than in the original games, and no one uses one set type of Pokemon.

FEATURES

• Greatly increased difficulty (Final boss uses lv. 100 Pokemon)

• All Pokemon in Gens 1-3 can be found in the wild.

• Pokemon who evolved by trade or something now level up by other means. A spreadsheet with each Pokemon's location/how they are obtained will be attached with the download.

• The Bug Type is gone. Every Bug Type Pokemon and Move has been changed to the Grass Type.

• A few Pokemon have had their types adjusted. Ex. Gyarados is now Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying. Mewtwo is Psychic/Dark and Pinsir and Heracross are Grass/Fighting. There may be others I'm forgetting. Also, some stats have been increased to make some weaker Pokemon more useful in the game.

• Every single Pokemon has had their movesets altered. Many Pokemon now learn moves all the way until level 90 or so.

• Every 'gym leader' (now Rocket Admins) has 6 Pokemon, but do not use one specific type (because that makes things too easy!).

• New starters, with brand new moves (Scyther, Absol, Chansey).

• The Orange Islands are NOT ALTERED SO DON'T BOTHER GOING THERE! I HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON CONTINUING WITH THE HACK SO THEY WILL NOT BE CHANGED IN THE FUTURE!

• When raising Pokemon, evolve them by level as soon as possible. They no longer learn unique moves in pre-evolved forms. For Pokemon evolving by Stone, evolve them around level 36-40 to learn all their moves.

BUGS

• I could not remove Bill's offer to take you to the Orange Islands after Cinnabar Gym. He and the ship were deleted, but the text remains. Just refuse to take the trip and all is well though.

• Cerulean Cave is no longer blocked (as I intended), but if you pass it and go onto the nearby land Route, then return, a person will be blocking the entrance again. Oddly, he can be cut down. No clue what the deal is, but if you leave and return it's fine so just don't interact with the guy if you see anyone blocking the cave.

• The images of the Elite Four that flash onscreen as you enter battle with them are still there. No idea how to get rid of them, so just ignore them.

• When fighting the final boss, he still has the Rival's name because he originally is the Rival in Fire Red. Unfortunately, I can't get into his script to change the name. He tells you his name outside the battle though.

CREDITS
    Although I edited everything in the hack by myself, I used a lot of tools from other people. Without them, this hack would not have been even remotely possible. So, thanks go out to the creators of:
    • a-Text
    • IntroEd
    • ItemEditor
    • Advance Map
    • a-Mart
    • a-Tack
    • Free Space Finder
    • XSE
    • A-Starter
    • YAPE
    • A-Trainer

Last edited:

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • So I've noticed a few flaws. Why would you get rid of the bug type? It makes no sense whatsoever and makes the Psychic Type waaay too overpowered.
    Second, you can't link the ROM, you have to upload a patch. It's against the rules and the law[/B] to do that.

Edit 1: My Absol gained 5 levels from beating the rival's Chansey. You should probably fix this.

Edit 2: Just beat the Pewter City Gym. My Absol is at level 25. This game has quite a bit of balancing issues. I'd recommend changing some of the wild Pokemon and Trainer Pokemon. In the first route, Pinser and Seviper give tons of EXP.

Last edited:

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    What's with the Bug Type Removal?

Did you at least replace it with a better type?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2015
    The hack is complete! Not perfect, like every other hack, but good enough and original enough with its story.

Bug type was removed for its general uselessness and the odd fact that it's only super effective against the super strong types like Psychic. Makes no sense to me, and grass seems similar to bug. Mainly, the final boss uses a Lv. 100 Mewtwo who is now Psychic/Dark, so Bug would annihilate him. Seems moronic to have a Caterpie be able to slaughter a Mewtwo...

The fast leveling and starting with a lucky egg is on purpose because level grinding is a waste of time that detracts from continuing the actual game, especially with the turbo mode on the VBA to hasten things anyway. Plus you'll need a full team in the long run, so you'll be doing a lot of raising.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    You can't link directly to a ROM download, you'll have to provide an IPS or UPS patch file instead.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Looks like you didn't remove all the Bugs then *snickers Blue-ly*(jk)

But why do you think bugs are useless? I like the fact that they're strong against Psychic and Dark and can hold their own against Fighting..... And they're only as close to Grass as Dark is to Ghost. Only a couple shared Weaknesses really.
    And I mean most Champions could be crushed by a single type anyway. A good leveled/trained Camerupt could annilhate Steven. A single Jynx could push over Lance.

I guess I'll have to start the game to see everything though. .-.

dwib

I Play Sports
    Years
  • Ghost is pretty useless too because it is similar to dark and only hits Psychic and itself super effectively which Dark already does both of those... Normal isn't super effective against anything... didn't take those out? You just kind of have weird reasoning for taking out an entire type without even replacing it with Fairy or something.

If bug type was still in this hack, I would probably play it

Years
  • Everything I saw I liked and then I jumped ship when I saw that you removed the Bug type. If you regard the bug type as useless, buff the moves and pokemon rather than remove it completely.

Back