• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mapping Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
Years
  • Yeah, is this chipset in the new resource thread yet?

BTW, though those are older now, they rawk. Seriously.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
  • why not. Personally, i wouldn't get mad, it'd save me some time not having to do it.
    And the tut in the house is pretty awesome. the only thigs I can say is move the stairs over to the left and take out the blue rugs, it looks crowded with them.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
  • sorry for double posting but here it is:

How to make an island (small one):

let's start with the obvious, we need water, use the deep water autotileset for that:

1.png

now we need to make the island, islands are irregular due to the sea, etc so let's make an irregular island... do't forgetto put some grass in the middle if you want as you might use it later and put light water around the coast as it has sand under it should get lighter near the cost (if you get what I mean):

2.png

I told you I was gonna use the grass for something, a little garden... and don't forget to add the parasol shadows in some random places... cause people are random!

3.png

After that just add some houses, pokecenter and mart in the third layer, also add the parasols, etc and here it is how it should look like:

4.png

and there we have our final product:

5.png

then if you want you can increase the brightness a little so that it looks like the sun is really shinning but that's up to you. :)

MasaXGPMat

Super Transcedent Milenio
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    Bravo Bravo (claps) really good tut on how to make an island might make ppl think before they map lol :D

fightingdreamer

What a drag.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2009
    hey whenever Itry to map a pokemon game my charactr can walk over the buildings can someone tell me how to fix that btw it is on rpgxp

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
  • when u add a new tileset you have to configure what will go over your character and what will go under, as well as what your character will be able to walk over and what he will not.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
  • Ok, well... I had time to do another tut. This one is about creating Routes. In this tut, I used Fangking Omega and Mateo's tileset, and a 20x15 map.

STEP 1
    First, you need ground. Let's add grass to the entire map, but remember, to make maps more 'interesting', you can create different grass patterns on the ground.

Routetut.png

STEP 2
    We'll need trees next. If you look at almost all the routes in the pokemon games (excluding water routes), each route almost always contain trees.

Routetut2.png

STEP 3
    Paths are what connects a route to a city, town, cave, to the sea, or to another route.

Routetut3.png

STEP 4
    Detail. Let's first add the basic details. Flowers, light grass patches, and... water! Try and scatter them, because you want to make the maps seem that nature created them.

Routetut4.png

STEP 5
    More detail XD. Don't ya need grass?? Of course... If you need to rearrange anything, do so. Also, try adding the ledges, but again, randomize them... and don't try and make the ledges in an organized pattern...

Routetut5.png

THE FINAL RESULT
    Add in the events now. Focus on the trainers and make them face a certain way so if you try and walk right by them, they'll battle you. Get the big events out of the way first, then focus on the little details. Finally, add some darkness, some rain, and voila!... a masterpiece. :)

Routetut6.png

~Jeff

EDIT: Whoops... placed a sign over grass XD

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    The tut(and map) look really great. Thanks for yet another, Jeff. xD

Dream Illusionist

//Teenager with S.T.Y.L.E.//
    Years
  • Ok... so I got in the tutorial buiseness too, and starting with a village mapping tutorial.

First, let's start with a 20x15 map, and fill it with grass.

Town01.png

Yes. That's it.
    Now, as it is empty, you should add trees and water, to make it more lively. But, in the contrary of Route maps, don't make the trees fully dispersed, as they have been cut and planted by humans to their liking of the town's beauty.

Town3.png

There. Now, for the important part: the houses. Humans live in houses, so villages have houses. Else, it would be a tourist spot. Houses would be preferably made in two ways: or together, side by side (and in this case, house appearance should be the same in a village, not required in town), or spaced, and must be two tiles (at least) distant from the other houses.

Town4.png

Done. Now... you don't want the townsfolk to walk barely on grass, do you? You should add some pathways to the village, connecting the houses, and to the path that leaves the village. Also, this is when details come into action: add some other trees, rocks, flowers, lakes... all depending on the location of the town. If it's on a moutain, for example, it should have a majority of rocky decroations. In a forest, trees. You got the idea, right? :)

Town5.png

Keep adding a few decorations, and the town will be *almost* ready. Only the final step remains, and also the most important one: people. They're the ones that live on the village, so you should put a few on the map. And put reasonable sprites too. You shouldn't put beacher clothes on a person in an icy village! It would freeze to death! (Unless it's there for a certain special event)

Town6.png

And there. You got your nice looking village ready for action! ;)
    Adivice: You should NOT make a 20x15 village. It's way small. Just learnt that... by doing this tutorial. It should be at least 30x25

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2006
    Did you create these tiles or is there a website where i can download them?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back