• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon mutations (or whatever)

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I remember reading a Pokedex entry for Wheezing that said three headed Wheezings are possible (although rare).

Are there any other Pokemon with mutations or other "shapes" or whatever you'd call it?

And why don't they show up in the games? I feel like it would be a really cool thing to run into an extra rare three headed Wheezing, or make a gym leader have one or something.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Maybe an Exeggcute having lost one or more of its eggheads? Or a Clauncher with a mutated claw, so that they are both small or both really big. A source of extra annoyance in games would be if you had to stay in the area and try to find the rest of the heads if you encounter an incomplete Exeggcute, haha, or else the heads you've caught run away.

Mostly I think in the games they don't do much differences for convenience's sake. You know what you get when you capture a Pikachu or Wheezing. The fact that they can have different stats and personalities make them diverse enough in the games, imo.

The anime (and many manga) are a lot more liberate with uniqueness though, I'd say. A huuuuge Dragonite and a talking Gastly? And probably a lot of other examples of somewhat different individual pokémon can be seen.

Years
    With all of the Pokemon that we currently have, plus their shiny forms, alternate forms, gender differences, etc., we're in the range of 1750 different in-game models. So much like Rika said, the games don't need to get any more complicated than they already are.

The anime and manga doesn't have these same restrictions though, which is why we've been able to see more things like this than the games can offer. On top of that Dragonite, we've also seen giant Tentacruel, Claydol, Gulpin and Whiscash in the anime, along with things like the pink Pokemon of the Orange Islands. It'd be nice to see more things like this show up in the future, since it makes individual Pokemon a little more unique than they already are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    They weren't visibly mutated, but in the card game, they did a series of sets where you had Delta Species Pokemon that had been affected by Holon radiation. They became different types than they usually were, and had new move pools and abilities to reflect that. Like, the Charmander line was Electric, the whole Eevee line gained Steel as a secondary type, etc. It was really fun and I keep wishing that they'd do a new round of Delta Species sets so that we'd get alternate typings for Gens 4-6, as the Delta Species sets all came out between Gen 3 and 4 as a way to bridge the gap since they ran out of Gen 3-specific things to really do with the cards.

Also, Crystal Onix was a thing in the anime and it was pretty. It'd be nice to see them reference it again with a card or figure or special game release, etc.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I think they need more things like that. So many shinies with perfect EVs and IVs and stuff have been hacked in and made. It'd be nice to have a different type that was more special and couldn't really just be hacked in like that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    And so the potential of Mega Evolution is explored. I think these things could fit into the concept, ie. as the reason for the mutations.
    Otherwise, they'd be a nice alternative to shinies, not being mere palette-swaps.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mutations do exist in Pokémon, sort of, but they're just not referred to as such. Instead, they're known as alternative evolution. One example of this would be Poliwhirl, who's got two separate evolution forms. Poliwrath is its regular (due to having similar design), and Politoed would be its alt. Slowpoke would be another example, who also has two evolutions; Slowbro and Slowking. :P

Back