• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Names

IcePyro

I'll just not say anything
    Years
    I was looking at my brother write down fighting types the other day and came to a sudden realization, Hitmonchan is named after Jackie Chan and Hitmonlee is named after Bruce Lee. Is Hitmontop and Tyrogue named after anything? How many of you guys out there just had a lightbulb pop out of your head about pokemon's names?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Wow that is amazing!
    Seriously I never realised that at all.
    Hm, I don't think I have ever had an idea like that, maybe I have and forgot about it.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
    Well yeah. Hitmonchan means "The monster that hits like Jackie Chan." and Hitmonlee means "The monster that hits like Bruce Lee"

Hitmontop? No real correlation, except a spinning top...
    So
    "The monster that hits like a spinning top"...

As for tyrogue, that is a combination of a tyke, meaning a young and curious boy and rogue, which means someone who goes alone and trains by himself.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2010
    i knew bout hitmonlee and hitmonchan bu tit never accured to me bout tyogue or hitmontop =)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Actually people have said that is not where they got their names but I still think so.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Hitmonchan: "The Monster That Hits Like Jackie Chan"
    Hitmonlee: "The Monster That Hits Like Bruce Lee"
    Hitmontop: "The Monster That Hits Like a Spinning Top"
    Tyrogue: "The Rogue Tyke"

Tygnon, Hitmonchan's French name, also borrows from Mike Tyson (insert joke about ears here).

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I don't see the point in why that naming was chosen if there probably is no such thing in the Pokemon World as a Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee, and hopefully Chuck Norris.

Hitmontop ad Tyrogue were made in Gen II and GenII was semi-rushed.

Plus, imagine the show rating if they had named Hitmontop "Hitmonorris" instead, or Tyrogue as "Chuckrogue". It would've been very disturbing for Misty.

Candace

Beauty Trainer
    Years
    And the Japanese name for Hitmontop is "Kapoeraa" (Capoeira), which is a Brazilian fighting style (like Eddie's in Tekken III)

Carrots

Happy Holidays!
    Years
    IcePyro said:
    Hitmonchan is named after Jackie Chan and Hitmonlee is named after Bruce Lee.
    Wow, I never realized that. Where have I been?
    I guess Hitmontop is Dragoon. Y'know, Tyson Granger's Bit-Beast.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    And the Japanese name for Hitmontop is "Kapoeraa" (Capoeira), which is a Brazilian fighting style (like Eddie's in Tekken III)

Nice, I kinda always thought that but its sad how it knows one dance move.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Pokemon names most often refer to the Pokemon's origins or references. Example: Scizor (Scissor). Some names don't tell the Pokemon's origin or reference at all. One example is Meowth, the name's origin is Meow and the "th" possibly meaning mouth. However, the Pokemon's design is a reference to the Maneki Neko legend. Meowth is also claimed to based off of Satoshi Tajiri's own pet cat.

Does anyone know about any others? I know of course Muk and Grimer are pretty much muck and grime. Anyone know what Riolu and Lucario's are?

Riolu's name is merely Lucario's name with the last syllable placed in the front and the ca part taken out altogether.
    They probably thought up of Riolu's name at the last minute...

Lucario's name possibly derives from part of a Japanese spelling of orichalcum in reverse, reflecting its mythical design and Steel-type. It may also refer to Cairo, Egypt, hence "-Cario".

Last edited:

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Well why do you think they called them that?
    Did you think they just liked the ring of the names and decided to call them that?

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Well why do you think they called them that?
    Did you think they just liked the ring of the names and decided to call them that?

Basically, they think up of creative ways to express the origin or reference of that Pokemon in one name.

Reenactment

Creators:
    "Hey! I have an idea! Let's name this Pokemon after Bruce Lee. Now all we have to do is put it into a fitted name..."

[highlight][Enter hours of thought here][/highlight]

Creators:
    "I've got it! It should be called Hitmonlee!"

Last edited:

IcePyro

I'll just not say anything
    Years
    True, true. But I don't think Cairo has anything to do with Fighting ans Steel Types. I think this is really fun just trying to figure out where pokemons origins come up. But, don't you think it's kind of hard for people in Tokyo or somewhere to be guessing english pokemon like Muk and Grimer. Electric type pokemon are usually the easiest to see their origin. (Ex. Electivire, Manetric, Elekid, Voltorb, etc.) Magby Magmar and Magmortar are basically Magma. Magby means magma baby, I know that.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    But, don't you think it's kind of hard for people in Tokyo or somewhere to be guessing english pokemon like Muk and Grimer.

Well, Pokémon do have Japanese names first, y'know. We Americans dub them with the names you know as Muk and Grimer and Ekans and Arbok.

Yeah, we're so original. :D

Edit: I've now read through the whole conversation, and wonder why no one's ever noticed that.

Seriously, just about every single Pokémon is like that, with exceptions of ones that kept their Japanese names, such as Pachirisu and Lucario. For example, Squirtle is "squirt turtle", Bulbasaur is "bulb dinosaur", Purugly is "purr ugly". Just think about most of them, and they'll come to you.

Back