• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon NKP [v1.0 Available]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    Pokemon NKP [v1.0 Available]

1. Introduction

Hello PokeCommunity Oppenheimer here, and I'm presenting a hack I've been working on for about two years. The idea to make a video game hack came from a lets play I watched of Pokemon Sweet. Another catalyst was my fascination with video games ever since I was a kid. Since November of 2014, I've been learning how to hack Pokemon ROMs and creating different techniques.

After brainstorming I decided that the main feature of my hack will be dialogue options. I chose that because I want to give the player control over the story. My main goal is to make the game feel full of life with heavy character development. I'll accomplish this by creating original characters, cognitively interesting stories, varied overworld sprites, multiple story paths and redesign Kanto visually. Another goal is to enhance replayability. Because of the scope of such a project it has to be split into stages in order to maintain efficiency.

Pokemon NKP is a ROM Hack of Pokemon FireRed v1.0. The purpose of Pokemon NKP is to be a prototype/base for my hack. Im using this prototype to test added features, the difficulty curve, etc. On the technical side, I've finished: hexadecimal editing, ASM insertions, Hero/Heroine Sprites, Base Patches, & Engine Patches. The next stage of this hack will be; inserting Story Scripts, Expanding The Overworld Sprites, & Expanding the Pokedex. With version 1.0, the original story scripts are still there. Which means it has the original story and can be played till the end.

2. Summary Of Features

Unique:
    • Portable Storage - Gives you the ability to carry up to 12 Pokemon. If both the party and the storage is full then it will swap both. *Remember to always check and make sure the correct Pokemon are in your party.

Standard:
    • New Hero/Heroine Sprites
    • 5th Generation Pokemon Sprites
    • All Gen 1-2 Pokemon Available, With A Few Gen 3
    • Physical/Special Split
    • Iv Display
    • Nature-Affected Stats
    • X-Y Capture
    • New Type Effect Chart
    • BW2 Repel System
    • Running Indoors
    • Jynx Redesign
    • Pokéballs Reusable
    • HM's Deletable

Basic:
    • Player starts with: Portable PC, Macho Brace, & Moo-Moo Milk
    • Shiny Starters
    • Egg Hatch Level 1
    • Mew Obedience
    • Infinite Safari Time
    • Fast Text Speed Is Default
    • Common Glitches Fixed
    • New In-Game Trades
    • Skip Naming Of The Rival

Difficulty:
    • Saving Only Allowed In Pokemon Centers, And The Players Town.
    • Whiteout Reset
    • Set Mode Is Forced
    • Rival/Gym leaders/Pokemon League Will Have High Levels And Varied Teams
    • Item Use Is Limited In Battle
    • Items Will Cost More
    • Most Trainers Have EVs
    • Wild Pokemon Levels Are A Little Higher

3. Screenshots

4. Planned Story
    Spoiler:

5. Planned Characters
    Spoiler:

6. Downloads

7. Bugs
    Spoiler:

8. Promotional Graphics
    Spoiler:

9. Future Plans/Timeline
    Spoiler:

10. FAQS
    Spoiler:

11. Credits/Tools
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon NKP v1.0.ips
      1.2 MB · Views: 159
    • Pokemon NKP [v1.0 Available]
      Type Chart NKP.png
      44.5 KB · Views: 108
    • Pokemon NKP Pokedex & Guide Book.xls
      160.5 KB · Views: 137
    Last edited:

FelipeGazolla

I'm here just for Pokémon Adventure Red
    Years
  • Man, i love when a full game is released! And the features and story look incredible. I was playing Pokémon Crystal now, but it needs to wait, i have to play your game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    Updated the post with the following:
    Added Future Plans Section
    Added FAQS Section
    Added link for Document Of Changes
    Added the type chart
    Added more screen shots
    Added jynx sprites to promotion graphics

Here's another graphic I created.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I noticed in your screenshots that the Zapdos is female. Does this mean you can breed legendaries? They never had a gender in previous games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    I noticed in your screenshots that the Zapdos is female. Does this mean you can breed legendaries? They never had a gender in previous games.

Yes, the Johto legendary beasts, and the Kanto bird trio are breedable, all other legendaries will maintain there gender-less status. Originally I was going to have the Hoenn golems also breedable, but decided against it.

Man, i love when a full game is released! And the features and story look incredible. I was playing Pokémon Crystal now, but it needs to wait, i have to play your game.

I'm flattered thank you.

Black protagonists! That's awesome!

Seriously, the heck looks well done. I'll give it a shot when I have the chance.

Cool let me know how it goes.

Looks pretty solid; going to give it a playthrough.

I would be honored.

Last edited:

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Yes, the Johto legendary beasts, and the Kanto bird trio are breedable, all other legendaries will maintain there gender-less status. Originally I was going to have the Hoenn golems also breedable, but decided against it.

Called it! {XD}
    Which egg group are they in? Any egg moves?

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    Called it! {XD}
    Which egg group are they in? Any egg moves?

I actually didn't change any egg moves (re-pointing is a pain), but I used Aerodactyl as a template for the kanto bird trio, so they belong to the flying group. And I used Arcanine as a template for the johto beast, so they belong to the field group. *Side note: Arcanine is a pseudo-legendary in NKP.

Also right now in the process of creating a "famitsu style" graphic that displays all the Pokemon that have had major changes to them, look out for that soon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    excuse me how do you evolve starters do they have to reach a certain lvl or what?

All starters evolve at later levels, this is for balance. They've been beefed up a little.

Evolution Levels:
    Bulbasaur lv26, Ivysaur lv42, Charmander lv26, Charmeleon lv46, Squirtle lv26, Wartortle lv46, Chikorita lv26, Bayleef lv42, Cyndaquil lv24, Quilava lv46, Totodile lv28, Croconaw lv40, Treecko lv26, Grovyle lv46, Torchic lv26, Combusken lv46, Mudkip lv26, Marshtomp lv46.

Sgt. Heracross

I Heracross my heart that I'm better than the rest
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I tell you, this hack is harder than a rock. Maybe it's because I'm not very experienced at doing challenge runs, but all of the limitations are kicking me in the ass right now. Although I do like the Portable PC, it's a very neat idea and it'll definitely be helpful in certain situations. This hack looks very well executed, aside from the difficulty (but I mean, who said difficulty is a bad thing?)

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    I tell you, this hack is harder than a rock. Maybe it's because I'm not very experienced at doing challenge runs, but all of the limitations are kicking me in the ass right now. Although I do like the Portable PC, it's a very neat idea and it'll definitely be helpful in certain situations. This hack looks very well executed, aside from the difficulty (but I mean, who said difficulty is a bad thing?)

I'm glad you like it Sgt. Heracross, my goal was to create something difficult but not unfair.

Here's some tips for people who have a little trouble:
    1. One of the main Pokemon I used was a sweeper, and he basically got me through the game.
    2. It's possible to catch 3 pseudo-legendaries before Lt. Surge's gym, but they're super rare.
    3. There is a light ball in your item PC at the start, and Pikachu's are in Viridian Forest.
    4. You can save a lot of money by buying drinks on top of Celadon Department Store (Just don't give any to the NPC).
    5. I put a bunch of useful water Pokemon Cerulean City.
    6. There is an in-game trade that gives you a Beldum with perfect IVs.
    7. Smogon is a web site for PVP battles, and its also how I found out about the legendary CurseLax.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    This looks like a really good hack. I love the decision based story lines...truly something different :)

Thanks for the support. :)

Also I updated the guide books so they're 100% accurate, and updated the "famitsu graphic" to include more information.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2021
    Are there any actual Decision-Based choices in the hack as of yet? I wasn't quite sure and would rather completely make progress when I know they are in.

No story scripts have been entered yet, but for the next update I do plan on putting some in. The 1.0 release focuses on the fundamental game play. This way you guys can play something, without having to wait an eternity.

Years
  • No story scripts have been entered yet, but for the next update I do plan on putting some in. The 1.0 release focuses on the fundamental game play. This way you guys can play something, without having to wait an eternity.

I see; well, I won't be progressing any further until some story scripts are in place; i'll probably restart honestly. In the state the game is in now, it's a challenge run purely with very little else. No offense to you; I do like what your intending to put out, but i'll be waiting for future releases. I got to the third gym, and I can say the challenge isn't ridiculous or anything, but i'd suggest balancing some of the wild levels and not jumping a NPCs levels to ridiculous portions for the few and then lowering it for others. Like; on Nugget Bridge you face the rival; he's got level 26's or something and then the 5 on the bridge jump back down to 18-20 and that should really be reworked a bit to at least even it out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back