• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Obscura

Years
  • Pokemon Obscura

Do you like custom Pokemon games with original designs? How about surreal horror-esque indie games? Well boy do I have great news for you.​

Pokemon Obscura is my latest project. It's loosely a spinoff sequel to my first Pokemon/Yume Nikki-themed game, Cyclical Recurrences, but this one more heavily focuses on the Pokemon aspect. Featuring 100 new fakemon designs that range from "could be a Pokemon" to "surreal abomination", there's bound to be something for everyone.

Pokemon Obscura takes you to the region of Limbo, a place where departed spirits go before their eternal rest. One lucky soul is promised to be reborn if they can fight their way to the top. Corruption, a fierce roster of competition, and an evil team all stand in the way of you making it to #1. But is your rebirth guaranteed, even if you do make it?

CURRENT AND PLANNED FEATURES:
    Spoiler:

Pokemon Obscura

Here are the starter choices :)

Pokemon Obscura is being made in RPG Maker XP with the Pokemon Essentials GSC (v1.3) base expansion. It's a gen 2-styled game with updated mechanics and quality of life features seen in later games. The music is all from the GBC era, borrowing from other Pokemon games and RPGs. It's still quite early in development, so more screenshots and fakemon will be posted later, but progress is being made!

Pokemon Obscura

SCREENSHOTS (more to be added as the project progresses!)
    Spoiler:

CREDITS:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    can i help with this game s developement i would beta test it if you want it

Years
  • can i help with this game s developement i would beta test it if you want it

Thanks for the interest! I'm super early in development still, so I don't need any beta testers yet, but if I do in the future I will let you know :)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Really digging the concept of this, I High-key love how one of the starters is literally an epitaph, it fits perfectly with the theme!

Years
  • Really digging the concept of this, I High-key love how one of the starters is literally an epitaph, it fits perfectly with the theme!
    Eee thank you! It'll be hard to pick my favourite starter, still haven't sprited one of them, but Epitaph might be a top contender for sure ;D

this is so cool! I can't wait for what's to come and lmk if you need another beta tester as well :)
    Thanks for stopping by, and thank you!! I'll be sure to let you know if I do :)

Years
  • Small little update since I've been working through more sprites! Here are the finalized starters:
    Pokemon Obscura

(Ice, Rock, and Ground, from left to right)

As well, here's a preview of the Pokedex pages with Limbo's own first-route-Normal-type, Tottusk!
    Pokemon Obscura

Years
  • Pokemon Obscura

Introducing Variant Forms to the game! Much like shinies, variants can appear in the wild with various odds (as depicted above). Each Pokemon will have 0-3 alternate forms, and if you're lucky, you might even find a shiny one!

Deltas show the most promise for being useful, as they add some extra type diversity and even come with tweaked learnsets. Glitches end up with really bizarre moves, some of which may be more helpful than others... And Poke Balls? They do nothing, they're just for prestige :)

N30NL4Z3R

Your Local Anxious Bean
    Years
    • They/He/Them/Him
    • Seen today
    I like the concept of alternate forms of the little critters! Especially the delta ones, even if they aren't the rarest form of the bunch, since they seem so cool to collect with how different they look to the original in more ways than one! This also gives me the vibe of an underworld, similar to Giratina's realm but with more of a twist leaning towards absurdity and dark design. I can't wait to see this game come to fruition, since it seems like it would be fun for a creature collector! Also poor narwhal ;w; It clearly is the outlier of the bunch with it's tearful yet adorable face.

Years
  • I like the concept of alternate forms of the little critters! Especially the delta ones, even if they aren't the rarest form of the bunch, since they seem so cool to collect with how different they look to the original in more ways than one! This also gives me the vibe of an underworld, similar to Giratina's realm but with more of a twist leaning towards absurdity and dark design. I can't wait to see this game come to fruition, since it seems like it would be fun for a creature collector! Also poor narwhal ;w; It clearly is the outlier of the bunch with it's tearful yet adorable face.

Ahh thank you so much! I wanted to make the deltas something that a casual player would probably encounter a couple of per game, just to spice things up and encourage encountering wild 'mons :)

I'm glad you're excited for it! I'm a huge creature collector at heart (especially a shiny hunter), so it's gotta appeal to that haha.

(It's okay Narwail baby, you'll turn into a beautiful creature some day :') I promise)

Years
  • Pokemon Obscura

Feeling overwhelmed by battling, or collecting wild critters? Take a break and decorate your own place! The possibilities are endless :)

Years
  • Pokemon Obscura

Spent the afternoon spriting out Limbo's region map! Originally made it too large for the GSC Essentials-sized screen, woopsies. But after some retooling, we're back in action :)

Back