• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Orange

Imakuni ?

Who is cuter? Pikachu or me?
Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Hello, and welcome to my thread...

This is a hack of Gold or Crystal.

I thought of an idea that's a bit different, an orange islands hack! ...Wait, why are you all laughing? That's not original?

Well, no, it's not, but how about a hack where you play as Red or Green in the Orange Islands, in events set between the first gen and second gen of Pokemon? Instead of playing as Ash in some anime-based hack, why not directly continue your Pokemon RBY adventure?

Pokemon Orange

This fantastic map I requested from Pia Carrot is a perfect example! What's that? Where are the routes, you ask? There are none. This will be 100% exploration! Now, how, Imakuni?, will you balance this out?

Well, in the story you will leave all of your Pokémon with Professor Oak, except for your starter, which is a choice between a level 40 Charizard, Blastoise, or Venusaur!

The game will begin with the set up being explained in the intro, and you will begin your actual journey in Valencia Island. You will of course, start with all eight badges from Kanto, so all HMs will be usable, you just need to find them!

After meeting Professor Ivy, you set off on your journey to defeat the Orange Crew. It seems hopeless at first, but with a ferry lift to Tangelo Island, you receive your water-born friend Lapras, as well as the Surf HM!

After this, you explore the Orange Islands as you please, some of it will be barred off until you receive an item or complete an event, but aside from that the world is open! The endgame consists of the Orange Crew Supreme Leader on Pummelo Island and a special event at Shamouti island. And of course, lots of side missions on many of the lesser known islands.

Wild Pokemon include Kanto, Johto, some regional varieties and also some of the alolan formes being revealed in gen 7! There will also be a cameo of Samson Oak, Professor Oak's cousin. Maybe I should make an appearance too?

So tell me what you think, what are some things you'd like to see and how can I make it better? Thanks!

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Ah, it's good to know Pia Carrot is also helping, he's great at GSC stuff. I can help with devamps of tiles and battle sprites (and edits) if you need it. I'm sure you can handle it, but I'm almost always available. I don't know about starting off with such high level Pokemon though, I suggest you add a move relearner so the player can get some earlier moves if they want to.

Imakuni ?

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Ah, it's good to know Pia Carrot is also helping, he's great at GSC stuff. I can help with devamps of tiles and battle sprites (and edits) if you need it. I'm sure you can handle it, but I'm almost always available. I don't know about starting off with such high level Pokemon though, I suggest you add a move relearner so the player can get some earlier moves if they want to.

Yes, I realize that could be a bit of a concern. I was thinking of editing learnsets to help with this. Since I don't think the game will be too terribly long, it's also to help combat some of the early game troubles one may have, such as type diversity (so starting with a lvl 5 squirtle isn't just a huge kick in the balls when you encounter nothing but grass and water types).

Another option is having new characters essentially going on their own journey, but I believe that breaks the theme of a continuation of Gen 1 and the Orange Crew being more difficult than the Indigo League (as they say in the anime).

Oh, yes. Pia Carrot is actually a friend of mine irl, he's helping me a lot with this project :D

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Even the Gen VI movesets for the starters are very limited and have little to no type coverage. It'll be almost a necessity to change their movesets, maybe add all their egg moves, event moves and a few TM ones? Also, are you planning on adding newer moves+the Fairy type? I also think you should add some Hoenn Pokemon if you can replace some/expand the Pokedex, like Tropius. And you should totally add a small chance for Imakuni? to appear in a center, like how they did it in the TCG Game Boy game where you can battle him for a chance to get a rare card.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I've just about finished the code for Pinkan Pokemon, although it's proven to be quite a pain in the butt. All that's left is fixing the check to make sure the Pokemon is in fact supposed to be pink, because right now everything is pink by default.

I hate z80

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • (Stupid comment? Jeez.)
    The Pinkan effect looks amazing, it'll definitely make some Pokémon more appealing, keep up the great work! Also, I suggest the level for the starter is lowered to 30, the game doesn't look that short in length to me. Also, do you plan on adding any of the gyn mini games from the anime, or will you try incorporating elements of them into the typical gym formula?

Imakuni ?

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    Pokemon Orange

Testing out some new tiles! (palettes not final)

Pinkan effect is still not quite ready, but I there's plenty of time since I'm nowhere close to Pinkan Island. It's nearly done, we're just working out the battle palette issues now (it works fine in status as shown in Pia's post).

As for lowering the starter level, I have been considering going for a more traditional start, and perhaps borrow the idea XD:GoD has by giving the player a level 10 starter. This allows a little more team customization, and although it wouldn't make much sense seeing as you are the champion of kanto, I would totally be willing to explain it as Ivy asking you to raise her Pokemon to give them experience. These starters would be Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle and I'd love to give them specialized movesets, such as egg moves or TMs already learned.

Ah, for the gyms, they will be traditional but expect some fun puzzles in them :)

Last edited:

SubstituteCreature

Fakemon Novice
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2017
    Everything about this ROM hack is awesome! You might want to consider modifying the name a bit so it doesn't get confused with preexisting ones. I'm definitely interested in hearing about what kind of side quests you had in mind though. Honestly that's something the real games could use more of, being in the RPG genre and all. Can't wait to hear more :)

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • This is awesome! I was planning on starting a playthrough of every game to assist in my hack. Maybe this would be helpful! I haven't seen the Orange Islands implemented in anything other than Liquid Crystal (Which I still have yet to go too far in)

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Pokemon Orange
    Pokemon Orange

Pokemon Orange

The baton for this hack was passed to me about a month ago, but I had to go to the hospital for urgent care surgery. Anyway, I've been working at it furiously since I've been discharged.

I'm changing some things, I won't be posting again until it's ready for a beta release and a proper thread, but know this hack is not dead.

Spoiler:

the story:
    Set half a year after the events of Red and Blue, you are a kid from Valencia island who dreams of taking on the Orange Crew and become a Pokemon Master. You heard of a trainer named Red who recently defeated the Indigo League, and are inspired to begin your own journey. The local professor, Ivy, gives you a Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander), and asks you to make your way to Kumquat island to deliver a mysterious Pokeball, called the GS Ball, to the esteemed Samson Oak, who is related to the infamous Professor Oak. She reveals they have been working closely together on Pokemon with regional differences, and that the Orange Archipelago is teeming with rare and unique Pokemon. After being sent on your way, you head to the north end of the island and take a Ferry to Tangelo island, eager to begin your adventure.

Features:
    -Fairy type (I know, kind of a must at this point)
    -More water routes than Hoenn
    -Shamouti Island events
    -Several Pokemon from other generations, namely Gen 4 evolutions and tropical Pokemon such as Tropius and Toucannon.
    -HMs will not require badges
    -Pinkan Pokemon, Crystal Onix, Alolan Formes, and Orange Islands variants
    -Several easter eggs and references to the newer games
    -More uninhabited islands will have lots of postgame events going on

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Pokemon Orange

WIP of the trainer card.

Pokemon Orange

Majority of the new tileset shown here

I was asked to update here as well, so I'll just upload progress if I think it's good to show.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • The new tiles look wonderful! I'm glad to hear you're better and that the hack is still alive, it must have been really stressful to go through surgery! Regarding Misty, I think she could be related to Surf or Dive, if you intend on adding it.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thanks Kabocha, we are thinking of having Misty give you the Togepi egg at the moment, after watching the anime I realized it wasn't just Rudy that hits on her but Danny as well, so I can actually give her multiple events now which means more free stuff for the player. I am considering Dive, but if I do it won't be for a while.

Pokemon Orange
    Pokemon Orange

Dewford Town Roofs added

Also, the entirety of Valencia Island is nearly scripted, I will be releasing a Proof of Concept alpha once Tangelo is mapped and the player can reach it, just so you all know I'm not jerking your chains ;)

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'm surprised you haven't put up a thread in Progressing Hacks. It seems like you have enough progress to do so!

Back