• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Orange

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
  • I'm surprised you haven't put up a thread in Progressing Hacks. It seems like you have enough progress to do so!

Very soon, just don't want to end up making people wait nearly 3 years and still waiting for something like my other hack lmao.

Hack is still very young in nature so once I get some more things solidified like the Pokedex and scripting it will be posted there in a new thread.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I'm so excited to play this, always wanted to make an Orange version myself but I doubt I'll ever get around to it. KUTGW.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Pokemon Orange

Tangelo Port entrance

Pokemon Orange

Southernmost point of Tangelo Island

Pokemon Orange

Annoying cut tree blocking access to an item ball

Pokemon Orange

Pond where the Lapras event will be

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Another thing I wanted to bring up is difficulty and grinding in Orange. Due to the nature of the high density of Grass and Water Types in the beginning areas, Grinding early for an edge will be encouraged, getting your starter to at least 16 will help. I made this very easy by having wild pokemon such as Bellsprout in the first route for high experience yields.

The first battle with Tracey is very early on, and he only has a 13 venonat and a 12 marill, so that should give you an idea of the difficulty I am going for. At start, Squirtle probably has the most trouble with being countered by grass and not much to train on easily. On route 50 I plan to have a couple fire types appear commonly, to help with this. Route 50 is available before the Tracey battle so I hope this will help.

I will also be giving the player the Surf HM at the same time as Lapras, which while questionable as it's a powerful move, I think the first gym being Water type will balance this out anyway. If the player for some reason decides to release Lapras you will not get stuck this way.

EDIT:

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I hope you do add Dive areas. They're very appropriate for a region with so much water, and they make the ocean feel more 3D.

Glad you got the Pinkan Berry working. And the battle with Tracy looks fun. He's a recurring character, right?

Getting Lapras early on is a good idea, if you want an exploration-based game. If you think Surf is too powerful to have that early, you could make it weaker (60 power?), which would also encourage the player to use more diverse Water moves like Scald or Brine (if you add them). Or have a ferry between the first two or three islands, so they can get Surf later.

The GSC-style Cut tree stands out among the other new tropical plants. What do you think of these from RSE or FRLG? Or maybe use a different plant entirely; a coconut tree, or a different kind of vine.

Pokemon Orange

More graphical nitpicking: there's nothing wrong with GSC's quad buoys, but I personally like the rocks from Pokémon Christmas. Just my two cents. Maybe have buoys around inhabited islands only?

Pokemon Orange

Also, larger whirlpools would look pretty cool. Here are the ones from Pokémon Pinball RS, looking similar to the HGSS ones:

Pokemon Orange

Picking four of the five frames, they can sync with the 8-frame water animation either at half the speed:

Pokemon Orange

or by repeating twice:

Pokemon Orange

Last edited:

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thanks Rangi,

For now I'll use the tree in the 2nd image there, since it should still look fine with the cut animation.

As for the water tiles, I'm pretty happy with the GSC whirlpool, I'll probably stick to that. I'll ask Mateo if it's fine to modify those border tiles, though, since they look pretty sweet.

That whirlpool might be really cool to use for the Shamouti events or the island plagued by whirlpools, so I might find a use for them for visual appeal.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks Rangi,

For now I'll use the tree in the 2nd image there, since it should still look fine with the cut animation.

As for the water tiles, I'm pretty happy with the GSC whirlpool, I'll probably stick to that. I'll ask Mateo if it's fine to modify those border tiles, though, since they look pretty sweet.

That whirlpool might be really cool to use for the Shamouti events or the island plagued by whirlpools, so I might find a use for them for visual appeal.

If you do change the Cut tree, just edit gfx/misc/cut_tree.2bpp to match. You'll need to do the same with gfx/unknown/08c893.2bpp (why isn't it gfx/misc/headbutt_tree.2bpp?) to match the new Headbutt vine.

Last edited:

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Alpha is here! Game ends after the Lapras event, Route 50 is not scripted yet.

Pokemon Orange

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ccrqj1ayjypo0w/Orange%20Alpha.ips?dl=0
    Patch is for a clean Crystal (USA) ROM

Before the beta release, I have some benchmarks:
    -New titlescreen
    -Atleast 2 Gyms complete
    -Complete Pokedex
    -New male and female PCs

I should also inform Town Map crashes the game, so don't use it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    So, I patched the same Crystal ROM that Polished Crystal uses, and played up to Violet City, aka Mikan Island. I'm sure you know about many of the issues already, since it's an alpha release, but I'll just go ahead and list everything.

• Great sprite designs, of course.
    • Route 49 has a good variety of wild Pokémon for building an early team. After you get Surf, having Remoraid that early is nice too.
    • Prof. Ivy's three assistants were neat to see, but why is their house so small? And I assume their identical dialog is temporary?
    • The town and Route 49 use the same music; is that also just for now? (And this is just my opinion, not a bug or actual issue, but the Gen 1 melody sounds repetitive compared to demixed Gen 3+ or even some Gen 2 tracks.)
    • The Tangelo Mart is out of Poké Balls, even though you were given some before and there's no need to make them unavailable.
    • Tracey's "Could you deliver it for me?" needs a pause after it.
    • A couple places of dialog have an extra pause: after getting the GS Ball, during Ivy's email, saying no to the ride back to Valencia Island.
    • The sign on Route 50 still says Route 30.
    • Wild low-level Pidgeotto are a bit much. You can't always run away from them, and defeating one raised my Bulbasaur from level 5 to 11 (skipping the attacks it would have learned along the way). Level 6 Pokémon on Route 49 are also pretty high, compared to 2−3 in RBY/GSC.
    • There's a missing shore corner on Route 50.
    • Ivy's GS Ball speech says "un-/-cover", with two hyphens.
    • Why doesn't Lapras's sprite disappear right when you take it, with no full-screen flash, just like your starter's Poké Ball?
    • Wingull's sprite is a broken Sentret.
    • The water pattern under the piers is broken.
    • I miss Running Shoes...

Edit: This should probably be moved to Progressing Hacks, right?

Last edited:

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Thanks for the report, will fix most of that stuff immediately.

The Pidgeottos are placeholder encounters, I really should have blocked off route 50 since 90% of the reports im getting are from there and Violet City (due to me leaving the warp there).

Issue with Wingull was from data loss, I will fix it shortly, along with the other island variation sprites like the intro Butterfree.

Ivy's assistants will have new events, I needed to make a sprite for them:
    Pokemon Orange

The Route 49 levels are meant to be that high, your starter is level 10, I thought it would be appropriate especially if you love grinding early like I do (Charmander + Bellsprout/Oddish/Paras = Fast Evolution).

I'll go ahead and replace the Cinnabar theme with the HGSS demix from TPP Anniversary.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I can move this over to Progressing Hacks once you get the first post updated!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I can move this over to Progressing Hacks once you get the first post updated!

I'll have to get some css prepared, also the op is inactive for this thread so I can't update it myself. Would probably be better just to make a new thread, no?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Rangi said:
    • The Tangelo Mart is out of Poké Balls, even though you were given some before and there's no need to make them unavailable.
    • Tracey's "Could you deliver it for me?" needs a pause after it.
    • A couple places of dialog have an extra pause: after getting the GS Ball, during Ivy's email, saying no to the ride back to Valencia Island.
    • Ivy's GS Ball speech says "un-/-cover", with two hyphens.
    Fixed the following. Rest of the report is either intentional or Route 50 stuff.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Wow a hack of orange islands for Pokemon crystal? Does it feature wild Jolteons like Pokemon red's Orange island?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Wow a hack of orange islands for Pokemon crystal? Does it feature wild Jolteons like Pokemon red's Orange island?

No, that hack isn't very balanced and has really crazy encounters. I won't be using anything from that hack at all. All eeveelutions are obtainable, though.

Back