• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon perception. Do you prefer anime or games?

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    All depends. Games for being able to control a character's movement. Manga due to its art (the overrated storyline of Special doesn't exactly scream awesome at me). Anime for the animation, even then its for the special effects in the movies. Note that games come first on my list.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    A bit of both really. Pikachu, Charmander and a few others look way better in the anime. Others such as Marshtomp look better in the games.

Years
    Putting all plot and characters aside, I think the anime depicts pokemon a lot better. It's nice to see the monsters from all angles and actually see how each one forms it's attacks and moves around in battle.

Though one person did mention the manga. I agree that most pokemon are drawn the coolest there, haha.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Games makes the people percieve pokemon as an object, anime/animations makes people percieve it as a thing that's alive and makes their imagination quirk.

So I prefer both.

B_B

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2009
    i prefer anime :P when it comes to beauty contests the game sucks at this

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I prefer the games because I dont like the anime. Besides the games are more fun to play than watching the anime.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    It depends. Let's put all plot/character/etc. issues aside. Let's talk about pure looks. For some Pokemon, they look better in the anime. Others have better in-game sprites. I personally think that Leafeon's sprite is adorable. On the other hand, I'm not fond of its looks in the anime. Then there's Scizor. It looks awesome in the anime and the recent sprites, but its bright orange-ish ones from the 3rd Generation are a bit frightening. Then again, I dislike most 3rd Gen sprites, so I'm really biased.

However, I love the anime's ability to make the monsters seem real and it's also fun to see their attacks, which I like. They also give a personality to most Pokemon, which is also nice.

But, of course, the games are more fun in general.

Let's talk attacks again. It's great seeing what the attacks look like in the anime. But a lot of it isn't logical. (AIM FOR THE HORN! THUNDER ARMOR! EVERY ATTACK SPARKLES IN A POKEMON CONTEST! MY THUNDERBOLT BREAKS YOUR SPRINKLERS AND PWNS YOUR ROCK POKEMON!) You get my point.

I'd have to say... Sugimori art wins?

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    I prefer the games WAY better than the tv show. The tv show has a lot of reasons not to like: most of the moves just look like light, a lot of pokemon moves would have killed people instead of making them look brown or frozen, ect., and it is kind of sucktacular now that im older.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    IMO, while the gameplay and the so-called "plot" is far superior in the games compared to the anime, they cannot simply stand up ascetically to real animated & drawn pokemon that are moving and actual backgrounds that doesn't look like trees made out of bubbles of leaves. Anime ftw, even though it hurts.

Years
    Sure, Pokemon look better in the anime, but I prefer how Pokemon are portrayed in the games. Why? I like how the games make the Pokemon more animal-like. The anime now makes Pokemon seem almost human, which bugs me. For instance, in the games wild Pokémon are portrayed as eating one another. As the anime progresses, Pokemon become more and more human-like, with personalities which make them eating each other seem morally wrong. Aren't Ash's Gliscor and Sceptile more human-like than Bulbasaur and Totodile? Don't they have more human-like personalities? I personally prefer Pokemon being more like animals, but that's just me.

Last edited:

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
    I like the anime more, but I reaaaally love Jessie, James, and Meowth, so that's pretty much the only reason why. If it weren't for them in the anime I'd probably just be a fan of Team Rocket in the games.

I guess there's also the whole fact that the anime was like, my childhood, but now it's more just for JJ&M. :P

Last edited:

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
    I like the anime, because it brings the Pokemon to life,
    but I also like the games, because you play as a trainer...
    So I actually prefer both.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Just basing it off on perception of Pokémon and not what the anime and games stand for, I have to say that both versions of the franchise give certain Pokémon a good look in perception while certain others may not, depending on whether it is the anime or game.

Like mentioned, with Ivysaur, he does appear very appealing in the game while in the anime he may appear as a turn off. It is this same case that I believe applies to all other Pokémon as well varying on the genre it is looked at.

I can say the anime does give a better perception for most of the Pokémon however. Only because it gives not only a different appearance in angle, but also in character and animation. The game restricts this vast perception, but still gives a good eye on a certain select of known Pokémon.

Jemzx

Guardian Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    I prefer the games by far... Well the anime is just cool to see the pokemon fight... but the plot of the story sucks

Back