• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawhat_luffy

Teh Captain
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 12, 2008
    yeah, I wanna add to the bit about adding the other parts of the numbers(the parts of 8 that aren't used) darker. you can't see them very well as of now. maybe just a few shades closer to the black?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    @ Atomic_Reactor: I'll probably just end up putting it as "Grandpa" with the D just because after the game comes out- people will ask e the same question since they won't have seen that post lol. So I reckon tomorrow, I'll edit it all back to that spelling ha.

Yeah, I want people to notice I'm doing this with Rm2k3. I've said many times I'm a Rm2k3 fan-boy, but some people are fan-boys of RmXP and follow it blindly and say Rm2k3 is crap(without even trying it) just cause it's older and has no scripting.
    So, I want people to notice, you can make a game with the quality of Protectors with Rm2k3.
    @anyone who requested the number change:
    Making the keypad numbers bigger isn't really something I want to do, since I'll have to re-code the menu just to display the cursor moving and other stuff like that- that's pretty time consuming.
    I can make them darker, like this:
    Pokemon Protectors

(Keypad numbers are darker).
    What ya think?

*Edit: Notice the spelling of "Grandpa" in the screenshot? Yeah I updated it :P.

Last edited:

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Yeah! I agree! With rm2k3 you can do a lot of things even making a CBS ( Pokemon Protector as a proof ). But you need to put tons of effort into it. Because it was really hard to make such a good quality pokemon game like Pokemon Protector ( and for sure Pokemon Flower of the Moon ).

strawhat_luffy

Teh Captain
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 12, 2008
    IMO, it looks a lot better with the numbers darker, and a little thinner too it seems. great job :D

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Yeah, I'll keep it darker.
    So,
    I was bug testing what I've coded so far with the storyline and I took this really cool screenshot, so I taught I would post it lol.

Pokemon Protectors

It was taken right beside Oak's lab in Nutleaf town.
    The menu frame was changed in the option screen.
    The frame itself has that menu boarder that is seen in each menu of Protectors (it's menu boarder 4 in the option screen).
    The menu is also set at transparent.

I picked Bulbasaur as my starter, and- as you can see, its after midday on Wednesday ha.

Waudby

So,
    I was bug testing what I've coded so far with the storyline and I took this really cool screenshot, so I taught I would post it lol.

Pokemon Protectors

It was taken right beside Oak's lab in Nutleaf town.
    The menu frame was changed in the option screen.
    The frame itself has that menu boarder that is seen in each menu of Protectors (it's menu boarder 4 in the option screen).
    The menu is also set at transparent.

I picked Bulbasaur as my starter, and- as you can see, its after midday on Wednesday ha.

The font which is used for the day of the week, is that the D/P font?

It looks really good.

I can't wait to try this out.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Yeah, Waudby, it's the D/P font. I like the FR/LG font more, but I use the D/P in some menus.....
    Like this:
    I've now also added a cut scene skipping feature.
    It's just an option that comes up before certain cut scenes.
    Mainly stuff that involves the story, but does not always involve the player.

Pokemon Protectors

Yeah, it's bland and basic, but hey, it's a cut scene skipper lol.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    Yeah, Waudby, it's the D/P font. I like the FR/LG font more, but I use the D/P in some menus.....
    Like this:
    I've now also added a cut scene skipping feature.
    It's just an option that comes up before certain cut scenes.
    Mainly stuff that involves the story, but does not always involve the player.

[--- Image is in the post above ---]
    Yeah, it's bland and basic, but hey, it's a cut scene skipper lol.

Very nice idea dude. I love the updates^^

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Yeah, nice idea! Looks great with the graphic! Keep it up with the good works!^^

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Thanks you two.
    If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    I have a small update (well it took ages to code lol), but no screenshots yet.
    I have now stored 371 attacks (all attacks from the 3rd gen games) into Protectors database, and of that, around 50 ar fully coded.
    There will be NO battle animations for the first Release.
    And another thing, the look of the attack menu in battle has changed.
    I'll show a screenshot of it some other time.

But now, I have a request.
    This is the first time I'm asking for this.
    I'm looking for.... a mapper!.
    Yup, I'm looking for someone who can design nice maps in Rm2k3. If I have any takers, could they please leave a comment or PM me some examples of what they can do.
    I'm unhappy with the maps of the first region (I hinted that there will be more regions in the past). The later regions are fine, but the first region I want redone.
    I would revamp the maps myself, but I want to finish off all those attack codes.
    Cheers.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Ah crap. Sorry for double posting. I posted the same post twice, I was having a problem when I went to first post.
    I guess I'll post that screenshot lol.
    It's the usual. On the test map, so just ignore it. lol
    Also, the screenshot was taken around 7PM game time, so thats why it's dusk lol.
    Pokemon Protectors

Okay, so compared to the last attack menu, this is a huge step down. But in terms of coding, it's a huge step up.
    The last menu needed pictures, this is the text in the choice box, and the way I've coded it, it can show any attack name out of the 371, so it was just easier. Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    You should make it so that the Attacks are in the battle screen and splitted like in normal Pokemon games so 2 left and 2 right. I dunno if you don't want it like that but it would be better.
    But if you learned something while coding that, then it's of course prefect^^
    Learning is the best way to make something better. ;)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    I can't spilt the attacks. I did. Look at the older posts and you will see it, but all of the attack names were sprited in paint, letter by letter. And to do 371 would just take forever. So I'm using the default RM2k3 choice system, and you can't change the position of text or anything.

Atomic Reactor

hey, i could maybe help you out with mapping.
    i have rm2k3. and in my opinion, im pretty good at mapping.
    i would just need your tileset?

other than that im likin the fact that the CBS is coming along nicely.

EDIT: PM me if you want some examples

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Well, I think I should point it out. This is just my opinion, I think the older one looks better. It looks more interesting and special but the default show choice system look sucks.>.<
    Hope you understand. ( My opinion, nothing much )

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Yeah I do, and I, 100% agree with you. But as I said, it's a coding matter.
    The last attack choices was a nice menu- in the battle window, and the attacks were done in paint. What I mean by that is, since Rm2k3 won't let you put text anywhere on the screen, I had to "sprite" the attack names. I done it in paint, letter by letter.

Now, the coding is still there, I didn't delete that event, so I could still use it. But as I said, I have around 360+ attacks (all 3rd gen including the shadow attacks from the gamecube games). I don't have time to sprite each attack word letter by letter in paint. It would take ages ha.

So I came up with a system where I could display ANY attack name in any 4 of the slots in the choice box- and each attack would work right. But because the coice box it stuck on the bottom, and it's a default RM2k3 thing, it was just easier for me to do rather then do it the long way.

Again, in time, I can go back, sprite out attack names and use that menu.
    BUT, FOR NOW, I need to keep that ugly choicebox attack menu just to hurry the dev process.

So, I want to say sorry to you guys, cause I've tried to be slick with all my menus and windows in the game, but this one just takes the look off. But please bare with me for now.
    Cheers.

On a side note, Don Patch and Atomic_Reactor have been added to the team as some map makers for me.
    I've already used a nice little map from Atomic_Reactor which is Vanmir, the 7th place you will visit. I added in a boat and dock just to fit in my plan of the region. I'll have some screenshots later.

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
    About that battle system screenshot; yes, I do know that using the Show Choice command is a lot easier and all, but this terribly reduces the quality. It just doesn't look as awesome as it looked a week ago. I've got a suggestion though...
    Why don't you make a blank show choice command (which shows no text) and put pictures containing the text at the correct co-ordinates over it? That way, the interface will look good and it'll be as easy as a normal show choice command (apart from the fact that you'll have to erase those pictures).

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    No, see it's nothing to do with the menu at all. It's the words themselves. They WERE pictures. But because I've added in all of the attacks, it means I would have to make all those pictures of the words.

I'll show ya,
    This is a screenshot of the old attack menu:
    Pokemon Protectors

Each word was a picture like this:
    Pokemon Protectors

See, the coding is still there and it works perfect. But I would have to make each attack name a pic. And since I was doing it letter by letter in paint (like copying and pasting the letter in position to make the word), I think it would take too much time.

If people want, I can keep this menu, as it is so much better, but it will take me ages to make the words.
    If someone wants to help, be my guest, here is my sheet I was working off.
    Pokemon Protectors

It would be a huge help, and I would put that menu back in the game.
    Also, every attack is stored alphabetically, so if someone will do it for me, start with "Absorb" and work your way down.

Waudby

https://rapidshare.com/files/119551176/images.rar

I hope these are how you wanted.

E
    njoy your old battle system again Neo-Dragon.

I've done all the attacks up until D/P. I don't have the names for the Gamecube ones. But this should suffice.

If you can get me a complete list of all the gamecube attacks I can make those as well.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Waudby, you are kidding me. That is amazing! No like seriously. Thanks alot for these. You just saved me A LOT of time spriting! I guess I will be using the cool looking menu again. I'll start importing them into Rm2k3 and see how things go. I'll keep you all posted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back