• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon rarity levels in the originals

Years
  • If you guys remember, in Ruby and Sapphire, there were a lot of hard to get pokemon.

1: Feebas, with only 6/4000 tiles randomly chosen in a giant pond having them.

2: Bagon, taking all 8 badges to obtain, you have to waterfall to the top of the meteor falls to get it.

3: Beldum, only obtainable after beating the game,
    Spoiler:

4: Latias and Latios. At least in Fire Red and Leaf Green, the map was smaller, and HGSS, you could track them.

Considering nintendo is trying to tone down difficulty, do you think any of these will change? I mean, most people had more legendaries than any feebas. That was rare before GTS and black and white.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • There will probably be an event for Latios and latias so that'll make it easier to obtain them, but you'll probably still have to chace them

Feebas may be changed because of the tile system changing but idk

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • If you guys remember, in Ruby and Sapphire, there were a lot of hard to get pokemon.

1: Feebas, with only 6/4000 tiles randomly chosen in a giant pond having them.

2: Bagon, taking all 8 badges to obtain, you have to waterfall to the top of the meteor falls to get it.

3: Beldum, only obtainable after beating the game,
    Spoiler:

4: Latias and Latios. At least in Fire Red and Leaf Green, the map was smaller, and HGSS, you could track them.

Considering nintendo is trying to tone down difficulty, do you think any of these will change? I mean, most people had more legendaries than any feebas. That was rare before GTS and black and white.

I actually underwent the painstaking arduous task of manually searching for Feebas tile by tile.. I kind of want Feebas' availability to stay the same (seriously, every single Pokemon Trainer needs to experience true dedication in the pursuit of catching a given Pokemon, not this "GTS" crap. :P Plus, Milotic is arguably worth all of that effort with its sheer beauty and competitive awesomeness! Recoverin' for days..).
    A minor tweak needed is that the Feebas tiles should guarantee a 100% encounter with Feebas, not that "maybe you'll see it!" stuff (as in, even if you were fishing on a rare Feebas tile in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, you could still end up with a Carvanha or some other non-Feebas Pokemon, meaning that you have to be really persistent and potentially fish on the 4000+ tiles more than once).

Bagon's availability should stay exactly the same; the raw power of Salamence should be reserved only for the elite! And if you stomached enough Surfing and climbing to get all 8 Hoenn Gym Badges, getting to Bagon's area is practically a piece of cake. And its encounter rate in Meteor Falls is fair, in my opinion.

The Beldum gift in Steven's house should stay for the cognizant Trainers (with Metagross being as smart as a supercomputer, I would think that it wants its Trainer to be similarly attentive..?)... I think an area full of Beldum (similar to Bagon's area) could open up in Granite Cave or Victory Road or something, for Trainers who don't want to breed it, though; I'd be perfectly fine with just the gift Beldum, though.

Roaming Lati@s should stay the same, although a quicker tracking method would be much appreciated (as opposed to loading up the Pokedex, jumping to the bottom of the list, then going up a little to select Lati@s, then going to the "Area" section of its entry each time you soft-reset the game or switch locations). It would be even better if Southern Island was made available during normal gameplay; have the Eon Ticket require a difficult-to-achieve-yet-reasonable feat or something.

And OP, of all Pokemon, you forgot Chimecho? {XD} That thing rivals or even surpasses Feebas in terms of availability. Although in a way I kind of like the challenge of finding it, spending an hour or 2 doing nothing but mindlessly running from Shuppet/Duskull on Mt. Pyre is not exactly my idea of fun. XD I feel like it should be made slightly more available (like Relicanth or Luvdisc rarity); there needs to be an easily-accesible NPC that uses it in battle so the player can look for it, at least!

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • I remember when I spent at least three days searching for a Relicanth underwater in order to get to the Sealed Chamber. And now everyone has a shiny Relicanth in X/Y. Things certainly have changed...

Seeing as so many pokemon are easily accessible in X/Y, I don't really see any point in making them more rare in OR/AS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    As I've said before about Feebas. I don't like that the tiles are completely random. It's not fun. Playing a game of pure chance is a waste of time in my opinion. If they are going to do the Feebas tiles I think there needs to be a 100% encounter rate and make it so that there is some sort of strategy to finding the correct tiles. Maybe the tiles could spell out the Dewford trendy phrase in braille or something? And there could be some NPC who mentions how the puzzle works.

I feel the same way with the roaming Pokemon. I would prefer they start at a random location and then follow a strict pattern that if you account for will always lead you to the roamer.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I remember back then that even getting a Wailord to me was tedious and Ralts was praised upon for it's rarity early and strength later on. Feebas, too, I considered a Phantom Pokemon cause of how elusive it is and how difficult it is to get mostly because I knew few about how to get it. Now the internet has been well established, finding info on a specific poken has made Pokemon rarities and values less valuable compared to when everything spoken about the game was still considered a rumor. I missed the old days :(

Years
  • I remember when I spent at least three days searching for a Relicanth underwater in order to get to the Sealed Chamber. And now everyone has a shiny Relicanth in X/Y. Things certainly have changed...

Seeing as so many pokemon are easily accessible in X/Y, I don't really see any point in making them more rare in OR/AS.

Woah. I must have been really lucky, I found a wailord after 20 minutes, and relicanth with my first encounter underwater.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • I feel the same way with the roaming Pokemon. I would prefer they start at a random location and then follow a strict pattern that if you account for will always lead you to the roamer.

Well when I find Latios I'll be sure to tell him to follow a pattern in his movements.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Lol, I think it'll be best if the roaming Pokémon kept moving they way they did in the originals. It would be plain dull if they had an easy pattern to follow.

I hope they keep the rarities the same as in the originals. Besides Bagon isn't so rare if one visits the only part of Meteor falls with it, they could even add in a Salamencite to it to make it worth more of the effort.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Lol, I think it'll be best if the roaming Pokémon kept moving they way they did in the originals. It would be plain dull if they had an easy pattern to follow.
    The pattern doesn't need to be easy. Just consistent. Roaming Pokemon aren't hard to find, I found Zapdos quite easily in X and Y.

I don't like chance if it's not being used, mechanically, as an equalizer. It's lazy.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    You could track down Lati@s with the Pokédex, right? Though flying around usually changed the location. As for Feebas, they'd probably use the BW mechanics and make fishing a lot easier. Bagon was not really that hard to get IMO. The location just said Meteor Falls and there should have been some use of the location, and besides, where would you expect to find a really strong dragon type? Beldum, too, really. It should stay as postgame Pokémon.

Years
  • The pattern doesn't need to be easy. Just consistent. Roaming Pokemon aren't hard to find, I found Zapdos quite easily in X and Y.

I don't like chance if it's not being used, mechanically, as an equalizer. It's lazy.

I wouldn't mind something like what they did with the bird trio in XY. It was somewhat easy yet difficult at the same time. Hey, perhaps they'll have us encounter them a certain amount of times like with the birds. Then they'll be found in Southern Island. Then they can include the event with it's Mega stone into it too.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't think they'll change it.

Besides with the GTS and Pokebank, getting your hands on a Feebas or Surskit will be a piece of cake.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    On the subject of Pokémon rarity, I presume you're looking only at the Hoenn Dex. However, look at other Pokémon from the earlier two generations as well, Meowth is uber rare, not seen often in the wild. Other than being common in FR/LG, which might be considered "obsolete" as it's the only region NOT on a DS-style or 3DS-style cartridge as of November, the only wild location for it was in SoulSilver; HeartGold players have to trade it, or you get it from a Battle Frontier trade in Emerald (again, older style cartridges), or from Yancy in Black 2/White 2 (only if you're a male).

So I consider Meowth among the uber rares, and I'm currently breeding a bunch to spam on Wonder Trade for that very reason. I guess I'm nice that way. :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I would not be the least bit surprised if the Hoenn Dex and Pokémon distribution had zero changes from RSE, except for newly introduced evolutions.
    I doubt they'll try to put too many Kalos Pokémon in. They might adjust some higher rates down slightly to add a few (see Fletchling and Bunnelby), but they won't remove a habitat in the new version of the games. At most, you might see one or two new species in an area, I would think. And any new additions would be 4th or 5th gen. and might include the 4th gen. baby instead of the earlier-introduced middle evolution in some cases.

Years
  • I doubt they'll try to put too many Kalos Pokémon in. They might adjust some higher rates down slightly to add a few (see Fletchling and Bunnelby), but they won't remove a habitat in the new version of the games. At most, you might see one or two new species in an area, I would think. And any new additions would be 4th or 5th gen. and might include the 4th gen. baby instead of the earlier-introduced middle evolution in some cases.

Well Cerberus said evolutions. Which one could include pre evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon like Budew and Chingaling. I hope they make Chimecho's pre evolution less hard to find should they decide to add it to the dex. I'm hoping they only add in evolutions and pre-evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon (which will mean there'll only be Pokemon introduced in Gen's I-IV available, but that's possible and fine seeing how only Gen I-IV got Megas in XY).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Well Cerberus said evolutions. Which one could include pre evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon like Budew and Chingaling. I hope they make Chimecho's pre evolution less hard to find should they decide to add it to the dex. I'm hoping they only add in evolutions and pre-evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon (which will mean there'll only be Pokemon introduced in Gen's I-IV available, but that's possible and fine seeing how only Gen I-IV got Megas in XY).

If there are Incenses there are preevos. HGSS had evolutions of everything Sinnoh introduced pre-E4 (so Tangela could evolve if it learned Ancientpower), which was a better system than FRLG (which denied you Crobat and others pre-E4).

There's always the question of whether Magneton and Nosepass will be able to evolve in the game, though. In HGSS they couldn't (nor could Eevee into Leafeon or Glaceon).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I guess the game will mostly get pokemons that were not available this gen in XY.
    That is my guess. Hoenn got ignored a lot in X/Y, another hint that remakes were coming. I'll even say that the Event Torchic was another hint.

Back