• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Red and Green 10th Anniversary Today!

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    The games that started it all have just turned 10 years old.. Pocket Monsters Green version and Pocket Monsters Red version were released in Japan 10 years ago today, starting the Pokemon craze we all know.

Pokemon was created in 1996 by Nintendo for their best selling portable video game system, "Game Boy". Originally released in Japan, Pokemon are a class of unique little Pocket Monsters that battle each other when instructed to do so by their trainer. The original term for Pokemon was "Poketto Monstaa", the coined Japanese term for Pocket Monster. Soon the Japanese shortened the name to "Pokemon". A Japanese game designer named Satoshi Tajiri invented Pokemon based on childhood memories of collecting bugs in jars and wishing he could make them fight like the monsters in his favorite science fiction movies. The game was so intricate that it took Tajiri six years to develop the Pokemon game. Once released, the rest is history. The overwhelming popularity of the game prompted the creation of a Japanese Pokemon television series and a Japanese Pokemon CollectibleTrading Card Game, both of which also became tremendous successes.

The Pokemon phenomenon began in the U.S. in 1998 with the release of the original Red and Blue Game Boy games, the debut of the animated Pokemon television series on Warner Brothers, and the release of the English version of the Pokemon Trading Cards. The Pokemon television series immediately catapulted Kids Warner Brothers to the top of the cable ratings for kids shows.

Starting on February 25, through July 22, 2006 the Pokemon Journey Across America tour, celebrating the property's tenth anniversary, will visit numerous cities across the United States. In addition to a Pokemon tournament, the events will include numerous on-site activities including live costume characters,, a Pokemon Trading Card Game play area, exclusive character downloads for Pokemon video games, and a 10th anniversary lounge to offer fans a look back at Pokemon through the years.

Happy Birthday Pokémon!!

Pokemon's success can be attributed to Pokemon's incredible appeal to children from diverse cultures and across sex and age barriers. Although originally designed for adolescent boys, Pokemon's popularity quickly spread to include girls, elementary age school children and even preschoolers. As summarized by Galil Tilden, Nintendo's Vice President, "Pokemon is much more than a phenomenon – It's now a children's entertainment staple here in America and globally… From the video games, to the toys, to the TV series, Pokemon's staying power is evident in its multifaceted appeal to its broad fan base."

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2006
    10 years????? I was only a lad... Never did get red and blue (or green in Japan)

Years
    Wow. I clearly remember when Pokémon first took off with the release of Red/Blue. Hearing the responses here, it makes me feel old. @.@

Me: "What game's that you got there?"
    Friend: "Pokemon."
    Me: "Oh? What's that about?"
    Friend: "Well, you have to collect these critters called Pokemon so you can use their powers."
    Me: "Sounds pretty strange if you ask me..."

Too bad my original Blue cart (and my first GBC which it was in) went missing... T_T I actually got another Blue cart, since it was still hugely popular and EVERYONE had Red version...

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Coolie. It 10 years old today? That is a long time. Still I thought it came out a little later. Still it is now 10 years old. YAY!!! Let party to celebrate. I never played the japanese games but I bet they were just as fun as the american ones.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    Johto Boy said:
    Are you sure it was today? IGN said that it was released February 27, 1996. They are sometimes wrong though.
    yup... positive.. based on current time in Japan of course.
    Green (and Red) was released in Japan 10 years ago today, Feb 26, 1996

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Yay! Pokemon is 10 years old, wow. That is so wonderful. I remember the first time I heard about it. It took USA by storm. I want to thank Japan of giving us a chance to know about Pokemon. The games and the anime. Thanks Japan! ^^ I hope Pokemon will make another ten years..if not five years will be fine. :3

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2009
    Wow it was today 10 years ago!!!
    IT SEEMS LIKE ONLY YESTERDAY

i had to wait until it came out here and the first time i played it was when my nephew said to me here try this game i tried and nevermturned back.
    I can quite honestly say that it was pokemon that got me back into video games full stop as the only console i had before that had been my megadrive
    Thank you pokemon
    for the years of enjoyment
    the amount of frustration betaing the elite four
    and many more years to come
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY POCKET MONSTERS

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
    Wow pokemon....i dont know what to say...but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! im so glad i got ya and wow it dont seem like that long ago..time really flies...but happy b-day!!! have a awesome and great gamboy day

MAR Heaven

No Comment
    Years
    Wow Ten whole years I remember the first time I saw pokemon it was the first episode I had ever seen. The one with the Ponyta and Ash in the race!

Then I saw a commercial for the cards so I started collecting.

Finally I went to Toys R Us and I bought Red and Blue!

Great days.

Years
    10 years of standing, and Pokemon has gained a reputation beyond most others that have lasted for even more. It's brought atleast some joy into our lives, so Happy Birthday, Pokemon, may you live on! =D

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    *Pops out of the cake dressed as himself.* X3 Happy Anniversary Pokémon! X3 Wow it's been ten years, huh sweeties? It almost feels like yesturday when I stayed home from school, sick, and saw the first episode of Pokémon. Good ol' dayz! Long live Pokémon! X3

Back