• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow...what've they become?

YesMyGengar

loli'mnew.
Years
  • What have the original Pokemon games become? Everyone says "Oh yeah I am such a Pokemon fan, I used to play Pokemon Red/Blue all the time."
    But did they really? These games were my childhood, and now everyone claims that they love it, when they don't.
    "I'm such a Pokemon fan!" "Oh yeah? Cool! With what Pokemon did you start as a kid?" "OMG I totally remember starting out with Pikachu in Pokemon Blue."
    (I'm not kidding. I heard this. I asked if it was Yellow, and no. She kept insisting it was in the Game with the GIANT TURTLE WITH GUNS.)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • ..Don't particularly know what this thread is supposed to discuss but;

In all truth, I did pay the original Pokemon Games way back when I was a kid. I always kept my precious level 80 pikachu in my Pokemon /Blue Yellow, not to mntion by dominating hypno.

YesMyGengar

loli'mnew.
    Years
  • ..Don't particularly know what this thread is supposed to discuss but;

In all truth, I did pay the original Pokemon Games way back when I was a kid. I always kept my precious level 80 pikachu in my Pokemon /Blue Yellow, not to mntion by dominating hypno.

What I did was I copied Ash's team. I got lucky and caught a Pikachu 2 minutes into Viridian Forest, and then I got the idea and begged my brother to send me over his Charmander and Bulbasaur.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • Mmm...

Well, I got into Pokemon when the Diamond & Pearl games came out, but, my neighbor gave me his Red. I have had some experience with it, but I never really liked it (besides the Mew Glitch! That was awesome!:D).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's true that nowadays it's "cool" to like the original Pokemon but hard to find people that actually remained fans. It does get rather obnoxious when people know the basics of Ash, Pikachu, Red, and the starters, and then don't really know anything else about the games but because the old Pokemon is a good thing to like but not to be particularly knowledgeable on.

Super Red

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I first played Red and Blue when I was at my uncle's house (He was 12 at the time. We are 5 years apart.) Actually, the first game I played there was Yellow, when I didn't know what I was doing at all. After playing around for about 2 hours I actually figured out how to play. A couple years later, after getting Ruby version, my uncle decided to give me Red and Yellow. I will always remember those games because they were the games that got me into Pokemon and Gaming itself.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Memories. Sweet sweet memories. Started playing Pokemon Yellow as my first game when I was 5 years old. Put so much blood sweat and tears(literally tears) into that game. Its funny, I was 5-6 years old, and have the time I had no idea what I was doing. By the time I got the Rainbow Badge I got stuck because I had no idea how to get the PokeFlute so I spent the longest time running around everywhere, just doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

It wasn't until I got Pokemon Blue that I figured out what I had to do. I never really beat the Pokemon League in Yellow version or Blue version but by the time I got to Giovanni in Yellow version, my Pokemon were borderline 60s.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2011
    I'm a hardcore RB fan. Ive seriously not put the games down in 13 years now. In fact, i started blue again for the 24th time yesterday. :)

Contrary to the naysayers, the originals are the best. The irony is that their longevity is thanks to their poor coding - thanks to the glitches, i've spent years finding new ways to exploit the various holes in the code! :D

Gold and Silver aren't bad, but i've played them to death. Ruby and Sapphire were good, but i find it hard to muster the willpower to see a new game through nowadays. LG/FR - meh, to me it was the same games I still play to death, without the code holes that made it so exciting. D/P... ew. Please gamefreak, no more lazy ass prevolutions and evolutions. B/W, an improvement on the last generation, but the charm of the series is shot now.

So yeah, i'll keep on glitching till my cart fries. It's already been through the washing machine twice, and with red version I now need to jam a magnet in the back to get it to work, but 13 years enjoyment for £25 isn't bad at all. ;)

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    POKEMON YELLOW is easily my favorite. I played Blue a loong time ago and I actually remember, I was with my cousin on our way to a local camp site with his mom and dad and he was playing it and it just caught my eye at first I didn't know how to play and my first pokemon caught was an Abra but it could only teleport and it didnt discourage me I taught it Mega Punch. But, that was all I played of Blue, The real Excitment was when I first got that big frikkin Gameboy and my first pokemon Yellow Game. I was so happy that I didin't care how many batteries it took to play the darn thing. There's is one memory I will never forget and my older brothers never let me live down I think I was 9 when it came out or 10, but I didnt know the nooks and cranny's so I got the masterball and then I got an old rod and then you can imagine where this is going I fished for the first time and got a magikarp and used all 4 of my pokeballs top catch it thinking it would be awesome bc my brothers had blue and red and they didn't have it so I used the masterball on it not realizing that the MASTERBALL was the ultimate pokeball and that Mewtwo was able to be caught.(who woulda knew) I trained that Magikarp until it evolved and then I was like booya take that Adam.(My older brother that i couldn't beat at the time) Now they like pokemon but not that hardcore and they can't keep up with the physical and special aspects of their attacks they still think razorleaf is special and not physical in BW. But, the best years of my life.(In games)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Personally, those that say Gen III was the best but haven't played Gen I or II really don't know what they're talking about at all.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Pokemon Red and Blue are just Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen now :)

Good: Gitches

Bad:

The Bag
    It seems quite slow before you get the bike

:)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Now looking back at the 1st Pokemon games after playing one of the best Pokemon games in my opinion (Pokemon Black and White), I just love looking for the Glitches in these Pokemon games.

:t354:TG

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Personally, those that say Gen III was the best but haven't played Gen I or II really don't know what they're talking about at all.

I've played both gen 1 and 2, but long after their release, and without nostalgia. Honestly, I don't really have nostalgia for any of the games, but I think that Gen. 3 is the best. I like how the Hoenn region is a very interesting region with many different areas, good legendaries (although Ho-Oh remains my favorite legend), and the many cool Pokemon such as Sceptile, Flygon, and Salamence keep me playing them. I liked the Secret Bases because they let me set up trainers to fight to gain Exp. and EVs for my Pokemon. Gen. 4...well, that was a bit of a letdown, but HG/SS made up for the horrors of DPPt. DPPt as a whole seemed uninspired, with only Drapion, Honchkrow, and Weavile (yes, I know I am a Dark-type nut) being very memorable to me (although I thought Gliscor wasn't too bad) Gen. 5 was only okay, what with the feeling that it was purposely unfinished so that Game Freak could rake in the cash with the inevitable "Grey Version" I mean seriously, I've found tons of glitches (and not fun ones like Missingno. or the Mew Glitch, ones that will force you to restart from your last save, such as the "1 HP" glitch), and quirks like the Double Battle "Both Pokemon Fainted" method. I mean that's not a glitch per se, but it's hard to figure out. Overall, I think RBY has aged poorly, with only the glitches being fun these days, GSC has aged okay, with nostalgia being the major reason it's popular, and RSE has aged well, and it's MUCH better than Gen. 4. Hell, I'd even say that RBY WITHOUT the glitches would be better than the Sinnoh misadventures. Gen. 4 has aged poorly, and it's almost unplayable these days.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've played both gen 1 and 2, but long after their release, and without nostalgia.

This is the big problem. There is absolutely no one I've ever met who can tell me that they think R/B/Y are the best in the series. I used to love Crystal more than anything and think it was the best, but Generation 1 is only a favorite from people just because of nostalgia. Sure, there are good points about it, I love Gen 1 as well. I mean, my theme is Mew and all. But claiming that those games are the best in the series is never not motivated by nostalgia primarily. The graphics are certainly not the best, the plot isn't even attempting to be inspired, there's no postgame outside of one dungeon, it's glitchy (fun but not the makings of a "good game"). What is there that makes people say something like it's the best game, other than "I played it when I was 10 and it was fun then!"?

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    What is there that makes people say something like it's the best game, other than "I played it when I was 10 and it was fun then!"?

Nothing, it's obviously just nostalgia from playing as a kid. Not that nostalgia isn't a legitimate enough reason to like something.

As for the topic I've never met anybody who said they were cool for playing red, yellow or blue.

Years
  • Nothing, it's obviously just nostalgia from playing as a kid. Not that nostalgia isn't a legitimate enough reason to like something.

As for the topic I've never met anybody who said they were cool for playing red, yellow or blue.

I'm sure he was referring to being "cool" among the fan community, and the fact that older Pokemon fans tend to look down on those who haven't played the originals. To address the OP, they've become a symbol of childhood nostalgia and something than one can feel proud of to have played when it was first around.

magikarpower

Experienced Collector
    Years
  • RBY

This is the big problem. There is absolutely no one I've ever met who can tell me that they think R/B/Y are the best in the series.

Actually I think they are probably my favorite games of all time. The pokemon series probably isn't my favorite series (I fell Zelda beats Pokemon), but RBY had such great programming despite what people say. I always find myself looking for the source code of the game or ways to find it. THe bits of code I have found have such great algorithm to them I almost can't believe it. It was set up so nicely and some glitches are hard for me to believe are glitches. Mew I believe was set to be put in there. After all, Mew almost wasn't a pokemon but put in only a couple days or weeks before the game was complete. Missingno just brings about the cubone marowak kangaskhan rumor. Its not the memories for me. Its the setup. it was a setup to start a major series that still impresses me but RBY started it making it my favorite.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I started out with Red and Blue when they first came out. Yes, that's how long I've been into Pokemon. Back when they came out, they were awesome. They may not be as good as newer games by today's standards, but those are the games that set the standards for new Pokemon games. Personally, my favorite set of games is GSC and HGSS. However, we just have to remember that RBY is where it all began and it's where everything we see in new Pokemon games gets its inspiration from.

To answer the question "What have they become?", I guess they've become the grounds for all Pokemon games and a lot of the very successful RPGs out there.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2011
    I played Pokemon yellow but I did not really like it. I prefer Gold because Ho-Oh is caught relatively early in the game and it's my favourite legendary :P I know a lot of people who pretend to like it (maybe under a pseudo-hipster guise), but I also have some friends who play the old games all the time. Maybe I will get a new Yellow soon (the battery's failed :() so I can g et a bulbasaur for my crystal save

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2011

This is the big problem. There is absolutely no one I've ever met who can tell me that they think R/B/Y are the best in the series. I used to love Crystal more than anything and think it was the best, but Generation 1 is only a favorite from people just because of nostalgia. Sure, there are good points about it, I love Gen 1 as well. I mean, my theme is Mew and all. But claiming that those games are the best in the series is never not motivated by nostalgia primarily. The graphics are certainly not the best, the plot isn't even attempting to be inspired, there's no postgame outside of one dungeon, it's glitchy (fun but not the makings of a "good game"). What is there that makes people say something like it's the best game, other than "I played it when I was 10 and it was fun then!"?

You make some fair points, but Nostalgia aside, it's still the game I keep going back to. Great for a week on Holiday or something, only takes a week or so of solid playing to fill up the 'dex, even more fun to kill half an hour seeing how much I can mess up the code. :)

Perhaps I just enjoy the simpler things in life. But for me, I prefer being able to play a game where the pokedex feels acheivable, rather than a never ending feat. Oh, and believe it or not, I still link battle with my friends now and again. Screw IV's and F.E.A.R, this is where it's at. ;)

There's just something about R/B. It's like, for all it's failings and obvious inferiorities, it somehow feels like the most accessible of the Pokemon games. As the graphics have become more flashy and the character roster has ballooned, the series has managed to become more niché. I certainly don't hold the interest I did back in the early 2000's. Most people who played pokemon in it's heyday haven't touched a pokemon game since G/S and, at a stretch, R/S. Hell, they even advertised HG/SS here in the UK by getting celebrities to give us their memories of the originals in the hopes of getting some ex-players to pick up the game.

Back