• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow...what've they become?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • I certainly do recall buying Blue way back in '99. For all its flaws I'd love the opportunity to play through it again, as my favorite game mechanic was how Slash on Persian would critical all the time. It was a beast back then :)

But I lost my copy years ago to an internal battery issue. Overall, the two games were the basis of a franchise that's kept me entertained for well over a decade.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2011

But I lost my copy years ago to an internal battery issue. Overall, the two games were the basis of a franchise that's kept me entertained for well over a decade.

I'm interested to see how many people have faced the battery death?

I only ask because it's now happened in my Ruby Version, but that's the only pokemon game I have ever had the problem with. Blue i'm most suprised with, what with the washing machine incident...

(Now it has a label i made with missingno on it. :P )

Years
  • I wasn't quite old enough to be playing R/B/Y right when they originally came out. My first game was Crystal, which I got a year or two after it came out. I still consider myself to be a "classic"/"original" Pokemon gamer, but R/B/Y just don't hold up to the later games without the nostalgia boost.

MotherPunker970

Volcano Bakemeat FTW!
    Years
  • i remember when i first got blue and yellow.i turned on blue cuz i saw blastoise(who is my fav pokemon evarrr)and started playing.i was just walking around and didnt understand a single thing,since i didnt know english untill i went to school,and even then i started learning about it in 3rd grade!(8 yrs old)so untill then i did lose BOTH of my copies cuz im a ****ing retard thats why,but still i remember allways choosing squirtle for a starter and going and choosing random attacks :D...please note:in my country nobody really had a gameboy,and i started playing the games after the anime started over here(which is 2000 n something,cant remember exacly)and i got my copies from england,so i didnt even have any friends to play and trade with :(

Johnster

Losing is not an option
    Years
  • I remember playing Yellow/Red/blue. I never knew when my pokemon was gonna gain a level because I couldn't see the exp bar. I would run around in the grass for hours training my Pikachu [In Pokemon Yellow]. I didn't know anything about Pokemons then. I remember when I challenged the 1st gym leader with my Pikachu and a Metapod, lol. I utterly lost to Brock.

Good ol' memories.

Years
  • I got Yellow in 2005 or so, but had played my cousin's Blue before that, as well as LeafGreen, so Kanto wasn't totally a new experience for me. The main thing that annoyed me was the lack of an experience bar, as well as the janky battle sprites.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • Pokemon Yellow was the first video game I ever played. I remember my mum's friend buying it for me and I had to borrow her gameboy because I didn't have one. Then my mum bought me both red and blue and a gameboy color that christmas. I've played from the start and nothing beats R/G/B/Y/G/S/C. I'm sorry but it got silly at Ruby and Sapphire. I'll still play the new games but nothing beats playing the originals.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    I got yellow first then red and then a year ago blue. I am currently replaying blue then i am going to restart yellow. The gameboy color games are the best. I wish i would of gotten crystal though.

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
    Years
  • Mm, I remember catching 148 Pokemon, finally getting my Mewtwo to level 100, then reading about Missingno.. And "accidentally" catching M.
    Boom. Corrupted game.
    Ffffffffuuuuuu.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • Mm, I remember catching 148 Pokemon, finally getting my Mewtwo to level 100, then reading about Missingno.. And "accidentally" catching M.
    Boom. Corrupted game.
    Ffffffffuuuuuu.

Usually 'M corrupts your game if it goes to the PC. Try and catch it straight into your party and it's fine.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2016
    Memories. Sweet sweet memories. Started playing Pokemon Yellow as my first game when I was 5 years old. Put so much blood sweat and tears(literally tears) into that game. Its funny, I was 5-6 years old, and have the time I had no idea what I was doing. By the time I got the Rainbow Badge I got stuck because I had no idea how to get the PokeFlute so I spent the longest time running around everywhere, just doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

It wasn't until I got Pokemon Blue that I figured out what I had to do. I never really beat the Pokemon League in Yellow version or Blue version but by the time I got to Giovanni in Yellow version, my Pokemon were borderline 60s.

Exactly what I did, I was like eight though. I cried so hard the day my mom sold R/B on ebay.

MisterBlue92

I don't want your damn lemons!
    Years
  • The original games have a very retro feel to them and some people claim to play retro games because they think it makes them cool, this makes the OP's avatar perfect for this threat "Can't tell if retro gamer, or just a hipster"

Anyway, yeah I've had quite a few people claim to love the old games then know next to nothing when I ask them something about it, its annoying but it happens. Personally I'm more irritated by people thinking the gen III games are really old, it makes me feel like a fossil.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • My brother must've gotten Pokémon Blue back in 99 or something, but I didn't get to play it before 01, since I was only 2 years old when we got it :/
    And like many other people it's the nostalgia that make it so special to me.
    I think it's the only pokémon game I still have left :I
    I don't really remember anything from my first playthrough except that my starter was Charmander, and that I had an argument with my brother whether the Viridian gym was the first or the last gym.
    Silver is my favorite though.

Last edited:
    Back