• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Retyped Red

Still considering the sixth Ice type! Suggestions open!

• Gengar (Ghost/Ice)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Seadra (Ice/Dragon)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • None. Articuno is fine for monotype

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Suggestion? Leave a comment!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Howdy! This is Pokemon Retyped Red (and Blue)

2-8-22 EDIT: Final version complete. A small update to rebalance some over-buffed Pokemon. No further updates are planned at this time.

Pokemon Retyped Red is an rough hack of Pokemon Red (and Blue) using the PokeRed Disassembly. The goal of this hack is simple.

The original Pokemon Red (and Blue) was a buggy, speed-oriented, imbalanced mess of a game. Pokemon Retyped Red aims to be a buggy, speed-oriented, slightly less imbalanced mess of a game!
The files for this hack are now availablle on GitHub! Thanks to Lunos for helping me figure all this git-bashing stuff out!

At this point, it is safe to say that Pokemon: Retyped is HARDER than Pokemon Red and Blue. This is due to the significant Type Changes, Updated Enemy Movepools, and the Increase in Base Stats to several key Pokemon. Levels have not changed significantly, and items like TMs and Rare Candies are available for purchase, but despite this, playthroughs have been more challenging than ever.

New Features to Retyped Red 2.0 include
-Gender selection (Masc and Fem)
-20 More Moves
-Updated Types
-Functioning Trade Evolutions
-Changed Trainer Dialogue

Plus one bug UNfix
-Dire Hit and Focus Energy now quarter crit rate again. This is to coincide with more boosting moves.

The primary features are as follows:

3 modern types!
Steel, Dark, Fairy, plus a bonus Physical, offensive-only Psychic type for Mewtwo

44 new moves!
Spoiler:

Changed Type Interactions!
Spoiler:

Reworked Moves!
Spoiler:

Reworked Pokemon Types
-list (long)
Spoiler:

IAQbJEZ.png

A Pokemon of Every Type before the First Gym!
Spoiler:

Reworked Pokemon Stats!
Spoiler:

Modified Gym/E4 Teams! (moveset code lifted wholesale from PokeYellow deconstruction, most major trainers have moveset tweaks)
Spoiler:

TM Changes! (general learnset tweaks not listed)
Spoiler:

Trade and Prize Pokemon Changes!
Spoiler:

Everyone's Favorite, non-controversial Gen 1 "Features" Remain the Same! Such as...
Spoiler:

MISC CHANGES
Spoiler:

I'd love to hear feedback if at all possible, plus suggestions, keeping in mind I'm pretty dang new to this.

Here's the patches

RED: View attachment Retyped Red.ips
BLUE: View attachment Retyped Blue.ips

Use Luna Flips on your own US/Europe versions of the game

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
This looks interesting. Has the difficulty been increased? Is there github link we could see to check out learnsets and whatnot?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
While difficulty wasn't an intended change, on my own test play-through I found certain bosses to be a bit harder, mostly notably Koga and the second Giovanni fight, plus the champions of course. Bruno was changed after my most recent playthrough, so I don't quite have data on him yet.

As for movesets, give me a bit and I'll compile a document. Still figuring out GitHub 😞

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
That information would be great. Thanks.

I appreciate the making of this hack but if the difficulty hasn't been turned up then I may have to pass. No offense.

If I knew how to port features like level scaling and forced set mode, then I would implement difficulty features myself.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Alright, the complete moveset info should be under the spoiler. Warning with opening it, it's a bit monstrous.

EDIT: 11/12/23 for most recent version

Spoiler:

As for difficulty, I don't really intend this to be much harder than the original games. I prefer games that are easy to play and fun to exploit, hence me keeping in the crazy nature of gen 1. Thank you for checking out the project though, and I'll look into difficulty options once I get more into the complex parts of Rom hacking!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jul 10, 2021
Here's an ambitious idea, introduce other members of a gen1 pokemon, such as Crobat, Kingdra, Magmortar, etc

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I'm aiming for this mod to stay pretty simple. Pokemon Red as close to as it is when it comes to available Pokemon, just with the types and moves changed. I am changing certain Pokemon's stats and occasionally typing to match said evolutions, for example, Golbat now has 130 Speed, and Seadra now has balanced stats across the board and the Dragon type.

Once I figure out disassembly a bit more, I'll be releasing another update, which should wrap this project up on my end, before I start another. I'm currently looking at gens 4 and 5.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Quick question, do you have a list of what levels each gym, E4, or major boss caps at? Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Here's a list of Major Trainer battles, and their Minimum and Maximum levels. These should be mostly the same as in the original Red and Blue. Nothing about the Pokemon on their teams have been given, aside from the level, so enjoy your relatively spoiler-free challenge runs. (I'd still recommend keeping track of the new Types though.)

Rival (sans Champion)
Spoiler:

Gym Leaders
Spoiler:

League
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
I see many of the in-game trades are for the trade evolutions. However, when I try the trades out, the received pokemon doesn't evolve. Is that intended?

Am I supposed to trade between the two versions to evolve them like with regular Red and Blue?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
No, the trades are intended to work. My base test with Golem seemed fine. Which trades did you attempt?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
I hadn't tried that one since the other three failed for me. Yes, the Graveler trade did result in it evolving into Golem. Kadabra, Machoke and Haunter all failed to evolve, however.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Found the problem. Shadic88 on skeetendo described it here. Effectively, rather than call up the evolution function when receiving the four Pokemon by trade, it checked the beginning of their names. This was fixed to be more direct in Yellow. When I update the patch, I'll make sure to include that. For now, reload to before trading the other Pokemon if possible, and I'll try to get the upcoming patch out soon.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
Any update on this? I've since hunted down the missing pokedex entries in the wild, but curious in case I want to revisit this hack in the future.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Aye. Nearly done, just having a few issues with move names. Adding a few extra moves past 200 isn't an issue it turns out, but the NAMES of the moves end up overlapping with the TM naming script. I'm trying to figure out a way to circumvent it without having to edit most of the naming engine.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Quick Update. There's an extremely stubborn error I have to debug, as it prevents using the Pokemarts, which is of course kind of important. I don't have a projected day for the update, but it may take upwards of a few weeks.

Thank you all for your support thus far, and I'll do my best to get this error fixed ASAP. JoJobear13 has been helping me a lot with the debugging process, so hopefully it shouldn't take too much longer.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
My suggestion for type changes are:
Aerodactyl - Dragon/Flying→Rock/Dragon

or keep it's original typing because honestly two dragon/flying pokemon is too much especially since you have other options

Rhydon - Rock/Ground→Rock/Dragon or Rock/Fighting

something to differentiate it from Onix and Golem, of course don't make both rhydon and aerodactyl rock/dragon

Golbat - Dark/Flying→Poison/Flying

Same reason as aerodactyl, seeing as Fearow is already dark/flying

Cloyster - Water/Ice→Ice/Steel

If you make it water/steel it's gonna be the third one

Dewgong - Water/Ice→Ice/Fairy

I do realize the last two suggestions match the alolan ice types, but i find it better than making Gengar an ice type

And lastly I agree to Seadra on the poll, Ice/Dragon makes it unique from gyarados and it makes some sense.

Great hack honestly, these were just nitpicks/suggestions. Hope i didn't come off as rude or anything :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm always looking for more ideas.

So lemme start by saying you're right in the money with cloyster, I had just changed it (alongside dodrio) to help round out the roster.

For Aerodactyl and Golbat, I want to keep the typings they have. More specifically, I want to keep flying for both since they're both pretty definitively flying type, but cut their primary types. They were barely poison/rock to begin with, and I wanted them to fit the teams they were put on in-game, so dark and dragon made more sense.

As for Rhydon and Onix (and Golem), the nature of the three as competitors has always been interesting to me, especially in the Smogon meta. I wanted to reflect that by having each pokemon play to their strengths while still sharing a primary weakness. May not be too balanced defensively, but most monotype teams aren't, and it gives options in varied type teams.

For Seadra and Onix specifically, I plan to give them unique moves (Whirlpool and Stone Edge) alongside a higher speed to compete with their similar type competitors.

As for Dewgong... Great idea! I'm not sure if I'm comfortable changing it's water type or cutting an ice type, but I'll try it once the next build is stable enough to play test.

Last edited:
Back