• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

Years
    -sulk- Most of the roleplays have closed applications... I hope something new shows up soon.

You know who should be beaten with a stick? GMs who abandon their own roleplay to join another's.

Sooo agreed.
    Why was an RP blacklist decided against again?

Windchaser54321

A Custom User Title
    Years
    I second that- something else I really hate is when someone makes an RP with a really interesting plot, and everybody's all pumped and excited, and then the GM just abandons it before it even starts...

And on a completely unrelated side note- I'm thinking of starting an Animorph-Pokemon kind of crossover type of RP (saw it on another forum once...it was really good, too, but then it died because of inactivity...). Would anyone be interested?

Hansa

I got Fusion Legend! Do you?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    And on a completely unrelated side note- I'm thinking of starting an Animorph-Pokemon kind of crossover type of RP (saw it on another forum once...it was really good, too, but then it died because of inactivity...). Would anyone be interested?

I would totally join it! So cool... as long as this one doesn't die of inactivity :D

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
    I'm thinking of possibly starting an Academy RP. There was one run by Juu-Chan, but died. So, I will probably start a new one. It will be a different plot than Juu-Chan's RP, however. And it will be free of Gary-Stu's and arguments. Hopefully.

Hansa

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    *sighs*
    I'm sick of seeing people that post teams with only damaging moves. OMG! In RP's, you pretty much need moves like fake tears and stuff. That's what makes it fun...

Like, in the new Survival RP, I have a pretty young Sunkern. It's awesome! It uses GrassWhistle to turn off drones' vision-systems, and can use Growth to make plants grow into imposing sizes. It's usefull and FUN... So much for stuffing Ice-beam and Hydro-Pump ect. into a Lapras, without including moves like Perish Song and Mist. It's boring...
    *exhales nervously*

Enilias

Successor to Hokuto Shinken
    Years
    *sighs*
    I'm sick of seeing people that post teams with only damaging moves. OMG! In RP's, you pretty much need moves like fake tears and stuff. That's what makes it fun...

Like, in the new Survival RP, I have a pretty young Sunkern. It's awesome! It uses GrassWhistle to turn off drones' vision-systems, and can use Growth to make plants grow into imposing sizes. It's usefull and FUN... So much for stuffing Ice-beam and Hydro-Pump ect. into a Lapras, without including moves like Perish Song and Mist. It's boring...
    *exhales nervously*

Offense is the best defence my friend ;)

And also, this is an RP, so we can use them quite diffrently than just dealing damage

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    *sighs*

*exhales nervously*

In the games, Growth only increases SpA by one stage. If, in your roleplay posts, it does something more interesting, the other roleplayers might be a little...confused. And then they'll start beefing up their moves' effects, too. ;D

If you used Fake Tears on my Pokemon, I could just be all, "It's Fake Tears, ignore it!" and my Pokemon would be all, "Nyeeeh I'm not falling for that!" And it would have no effect.

Hansa

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    In the games, Growth only increases SpA by one stage. If, in your roleplay posts, it does something more interesting, the other roleplayers might be a little...confused. And then they'll start beefing up their moves' effects, too. ;D

If you used Fake Tears on my Pokemon, I could just be all, "It's Fake Tears, ignore it!" and my Pokemon would be all, "Nyeeeh I'm not falling for that!" And it would have no effect.

Well, I use most moves after the anime effects, because they are more "reality" fixated. Tangrowth uses Growth to grow plants in the anime ;)

Oh, and fake tears was a dumb example :D

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    Hello everyone I just thought I would drop in~

So far the discussions seem to be most agreeable. I read back over this entire page and I certainly agree that RPs where you start from scratch can be quite annoying... although I'm guilty of some myself X_X... Oh, and about the move thing- Like Hansa said, I think it is best to base the effects of moves in the roleplay after what they do in the anime. Except dark void. Sending someone into a dimension of darkness (like stated in the game) is way more fun than simply surrounding them with an orb thing. I hate the word thing... why did I use it? >_<

Also, there is one thing that annoys me so much I want to kill people. People not reading. I hate it when I am running or I have joined an RP that closes it's sign ups, and then people still post SUs! It drives me out of my mind. \ _ /

On a side note, I'm thinking of maybe starting another roleplay. . .
    Not anytime soon of course! I'm a little busy with RPs on this site. But maybe in a month or two I will bring out my ULTIMATE PLAN. ^^ This is still being made though- I haven't quite figured out the plot entirely... however the setting is as good as, er, better than gold right now. ^o^

And on a final side note- READ TEH SPOILER:
    Spoiler:

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Ha. I just did exactly the same thing as Jewel here. Read through this page, and I have to say, I agree with a lot of it.
    I once joined an RP on another site where I felt I was really the only one playing - a start from the beginning standard 'travel through this region - Look out for TR btw' kinda thing. It wasn't even a new region. I really wondered how the storyline was ever going to progress. I think I joined it because I missed the Johto region. XD

This is just a personal thing, but I don't like RPing as a human. That's why I jumped at the chance to join Jewel's PMD RP. I just prefer it. I once was part of an RP where all the characters started out as humans in the Hoenn region but after joining this funny PMD game website, their computer turned funny and knocked them out, turning them into the Pokemon they'd been given in their personality test. They then became friends with a Pokemon from a guild in the Safari Zone and made their way there. I really enjoyed that one - it was fun writing as a human who had suddenly found themselves a Pokemon, and now was meeting others that had had the same done to them. Non-generic RPs where you aren't a human trainer just seem better to me - as long as they're not too wacky, you know?

On the guides issue, I have written a small thing for a couple of other forums with some basic grammar stuff - correct use of apostrophes, punctuation and stuff like that. Stuff needs adding to it about other grammar points, but it's pretty good for some stuff, I think. If anyone's interested...
    Anyway.

I don't really have that much of an opinion on movepools, tbh. I suppose it's a good idea to keep in some non-damaging moves to add a different dynamic. ^_^

I currently have two RP ideas:
    1) TR is back and stronger than ever, and there's only one way to bring them down; from the inside. You play the part of a trainer who pretends to be a TR member so you can sabotage it from the inside. I'm not sure about this one; like I said, I'm not fond of RPing as a human, and I really have no idea what I'd do.
    2) PMD2 based: Wigglytuff is reaching the end of his life and is entrusting Chatot and the guild recruits to find a new Guildmaster (he doesn't want Chatot to have the strain of taking the job himself). You play a guild recruit. Again, I'm not sure about this one either. I'm not sure I'd be able to control everything effectively.

Not to mention I have lots of important exams coming up and couldn't possibly start an RP at the moment. I'd end up neglecting it, and that would be horrendous. I hate it when people abandon their RPs.

Well, after that long winded post, I'll take my leave. As Jewel would have it: Happy New Year! ^_^
    xX

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    -sulk- Most of the roleplays have closed applications... I hope something new shows up soon.

You know who should be beaten with a stick? GMs who abandon their own roleplay to join another's.

I'm game for that if we throw in slacking RPers too.

Honestly, the amount of people I've had join up only to find that the only kind of post they make is the type where they promise posts in the future...<<

Yeeeeah, people seem better at promising activity than actually providing it, sadly. To be honest, it's the main thing that has kept me from trying to host another RP here.

Why was an RP blacklist decided against again?

Because people who can't even remember what they signed up for most likely wouldn't remember to make use of a thread like that either? There's only so much the magic of sticky threads can solve.

This is just a personal thing, but I don't like RPing as a human. That's why I jumped at the chance to join Jewel's PMD RP. I just prefer it. I once was part of an RP where all the characters started out as humans in the Hoenn region but after joining this funny PMD game website, their computer turned funny and knocked them out, turning them into the Pokemon they'd been given in their personality test. They then became friends with a Pokemon from a guild in the Safari Zone and made their way there. I really enjoyed that one - it was fun writing as a human who had suddenly found themselves a Pokemon, and now was meeting others that had had the same done to them. Non-generic RPs where you aren't a human trainer just seem better to me - as long as they're not too wacky, you know?

That...really brings me back. The first RP I ever participated in ever was one where people got turned into pokémon for an evil corporation's moneymaking scheme. Good times. XD

Seconding that, RPs have been very...standardized lately and it's a bit off-putting. I can't stand the puppet master format either, so there's not much to choose from. And yes, human-to-pokémon (or vice-versa) is a niche that has gotten disappointingly little attention in RP plots.

On the guides issue, I have written a small thing for a couple of other forums with some basic grammar stuff - correct use of apostrophes, punctuation and stuff like that. Stuff needs adding to it about other grammar points, but it's pretty good for some stuff, I think. If anyone's interested...

Well, I would prefer guides on the subject of roleplay writing specifically rather than writing in general (because there's a disturbing lack of understanding for the differences between text-based RP and fanfic writing <<) but hey, any guides relevant to the subject are worth a shot too. PM it to me and we'll see.

As for movesets...what can I say, I'm from the free-thinker school of thought that's opposed to setting those down in stone to begin with. It's just one of those game mechanic limitations I could never find a sensible justification for outside of the game. But I do agree that underused moves have plenty of interesting uses in an improvisation environment. Still recall seeing a Rock Slide countered by Rock Smash which, if you think about it, makes pefect sense. People in general are pretty hooked up on what works out in terms of game stats, though. :\

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    @ArcanineOod: So, you like RPing as non-human characters eh? Me too. The new RP idea I have has pokemon characters~ legendary pokemon characters. And it is a little bit less cliche than other RPs I've created.

Little Latios

Hatchling
    Years
    I noticed one thing that apparently no one else created, an RP where people and be a pokemon or a human and have both side by side. All the RPs are so confined to either you can just be a human or you can just be a pokemon. I noticed how you were talking about an RP where people turned into pokemon and thats nice but wouldn't it be interesting to have one person being a pokemon trying to fight from being captured by a trainer who happens to be another person? I usually don't make good RPs but I'm a fairly good RPer and am just throwing this idea out there so maybe somebody will take it.

Zimvee

ROCK AND ROOOLL!
    Years
    On the subject of Journey Type RP's: I think I may have had something to do with the increase of them appearing....i took over a journey rp which was popular which led to people in MY rp creating their own and the people in THEIR rp created their own and so on and so forth. And then the new people who come to the forum see that and think its the main type of RPing so they create their own and the cycle starts all over again. Sorry, my bad!

Now i don't mind them but i get bored if its not a new region, just kanto or something. I could just go play Firered if I wanted that.

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    Hey, Jewel of Life. What happened to that awesome science RP? Is it dead or are you going to reopen it, because it's really cool?

Yeah, you know how everyone is complaining about people abandoning their roleplays? I'm guilty of that, but with good reason. You and me seemed to be the only ones really enthusiastic about it; the other people weren't paying much attention and that alone means that the RP would have been quite slow at the start. Also, since sign-ups didn't come too quickly I can take that as proof of my previous statement. Usually I am pretty good at predicting things, and it seemed to me that that roleplay wasn't going to last long, so why waste my energy? Sorry about it though. If you are really all that excited about it, I will start it up again and we'll see how it goes.

I noticed one thing that apparently no one else created, an RP where people and be a pokemon or a human and have both side by side. All the RPs are so confined to either you can just be a human or you can just be a pokemon. I noticed how you were talking about an RP where people turned into pokemon and thats nice but wouldn't it be interesting to have one person being a pokemon trying to fight from being captured by a trainer who happens to be another person? I usually don't make good RPs but I'm a fairly good RPer and am just throwing this idea out there so maybe somebody will take it.

I have a roleplay running on Serebii forums that allows you to be pokemon, human, or pokemorph (half human, half pokemon), but there isn't as much character interaction as most. Still, if I have time I could bring it here.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Has anyone ever tried making a roleplay without a concrete plot, just a scenario that the characters were dropped into, and left to work it out with the GM's help?

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Someone might have, but without at least a vague plot it would be pretty hard to control. People might lose interest and the GM would probably be the first. They would get pretty confused, too, I think.
    xX

Hansa

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    OK, so I'm going to create a roleplay... For Sure! But I have a couple of ideas, so Why don't you guys tell me your opinion?

A) In the pokeworld, a new Island has been discovered; Glencior. It is paradise for every pokemon-species. The conquest of this Island creates the first PokeWorld War! What will your nation do?

B) In this World, Pokemon has been extinct for almost 200 years. Several fossils of them are being found in a world, and the usage of their DNA has founded a new competitive activity, the PokeHuman Armor Battles! The Pokemon DNA is used to make a cybernetic armor for humans to gain the power of Pokemon. Can you rise to the top?

C) The evil Sableye, Cirnovet, has sealed all legendary Pokemon in gems, called The Fables. He has now taken over the PokeWorld with the power of the Fables. The gems have now been scattered around the world, and you find one! Cirnovet also still has one, but the gems only work with cooperation with its rival legendary's gem! Try throwing Cirnovet off the throne, to make the PokeWorld free again!

So, there are my ideas... Any opinions?

Back