• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

Strikit

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
    Years
    I already have the list of the Pokemon that will be available in all areas, and know which Pokemon won't exist. I'm working on a map of Hoenn that shows all the changes, and I want to write up a detailed summary of each route before I try to submit.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Attempting to come up with a good roleplay idea...

Anyone interested in this:

"Several years after the Team Rocket incident and the crowning on Gold Hibiki as Johto's top Trainer, a strange phenomena takes place. From seemingly no where, Pokemon of other regions have begun to overrun the lands of Johto, threatening the native species and the balance of nature. In Ilex Forest, reports of missing Trainers have been piling up. In Ecruteak, the Tin Tower has become inaccessible to even the monks themselves. And, in the sea between Olivine and Cianwood, an enormous whirlpool has formed. These strange occurance seem to be related somehow as they all occured within the same time that a freak meteor storm sent a meteorite plummeting to the summit of Mt. Silver.
    Professors Elm and Oak are at their wits' end on why or how this meteorite is causing so many strange things to happen all throughout Johto, so they have enlisted the help of a group of capable Trainers to aid them. As one of these Trainers, it is your job to try and get to the bottom of these weird phenomena with the help of your allies."

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    @Strikit/Spikey-Eared Pichu - I find that both of those ideas would be great for a Roleplay. I would certainly join.

And yes, I know that that didn't have any constructive critisism or what-not, but I'm tired, and I don't have the energy to say anything other than state the fact I'd enjoy to participate in said Role-plays.

Years
    And it would be kinda linear. But it could work, it could be fun.
    Actually, I'd say one of the greatest virtues would be it's non-linearity. Things could be happening at the same time, different times, in the past, in the future... it is, of course, entirely dependent on the core being incredibly well-organised and communicative. But yeah, setting limits could actually really open up the creativity.

An Idea could be to make a new site for the cause though... :O
    The problem with that is that sites like that are doomed to obscurity... I'd rather an idea like this piggy-backed off of a well-established website with an active roleplaying userbase... speaking of which, what IS the Pokemon roleplaying juggernaut of the internet? Or juggernauts as the case may be.

But there will be no Magnemite, 'ton, or 'zone, and neither Electrode or Voltorb. Basically nothing technology based.
    Voltorb and Electrode, Grimer and Muk and ilk are understandable, but why not Magnemite? Never mentioned to have artificial origins. It could be argued that they have existed pre-industry, possibly inspired the magnet and screw, and simply became more populous due to the increase of viable food sources. Heck, you could add a little more flavour and make them legendaries to the eyes of the people of old.

I get the feeling that this section will probably really pick up once B/W gets released in the West, for obvious reasons. I hope the administration sorts itself out before that.

Strikit

Years
    Shen, that's an interesting idea. I'll certainly consider it.

I've moved the Steel types into obscurity, and made Electric types feared due to the lack of knowledge as to how they control lightning. Due to my own complete hatred of them, I've also removed Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior. My excuse is that they evolve with the help of human-made items, and since the human-Pokemon relationship hasn't been going on all that long the items haven't been developed yet.

I'm getting seriously pumped for this. o.o

But does anyone have any suggestions for things that should, or should not, exist? I'll credit you.

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
    Years
    Obviously no pokedex, though perhaps a heavily bound book acting as a Pokemon encyclopedia could work, though not something a character would run around with. Eggs is a tough thing, since in the linear games timeline they were only discovered in Silver, though this doesn't really make sense to me so it could be changed, perhaps something of a discovery that was lost over time.

I don't know what time-era you're doing it, so I can't really go history-freak on you yet =/

Strikit

Years
    I actually think Eragon-style timing would be perfect. Everything is really low tech and such, with everything being made of wood with thatched roofs most of the time, and farming being the main way of life. It's far enough in the past that ancient Pokemon are still alive but at the same time it's not so far back that everyone is dragging around a club saying "Ughn ugg."

Eggs, I think, are retarded for people not to have discovered. But I prefer to stay true to oviparous and viviparous, like animals. Mammalian Pokemon have live babies, reptilian and avian Pokemon have eggs, the like. The only reason they made all Pokemon lay eggs is to stay away from "where do babies come from?" So babies will come from the most reasonable place here.

I'm thinking maybe Pokemon are so heavily misunderstood, people have to use what they and their families have learned themselves. This also leaves room for misconceptions, which is good. Maybe that "all canine Pokemon are bad" in some families, and "blue Pokemon are all poisonous" in others. Ya know, kinda like how some people think all snakes are venomous.

That would make it fun, because you can't just push a button on a Pokedex and know what's up, or just rifle through a book. You have to ask someone who knows, or know yourself.

What kinda history were you going to freak on me?

Years
    Shen, that's an interesting idea. I'll certainly consider it.

I've moved the Steel types into obscurity, and made Electric types feared due to the lack of knowledge as to how they control lightning. Due to my own complete hatred of them, I've also removed Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior. My excuse is that they evolve with the help of human-made items, and since the human-Pokemon relationship hasn't been going on all that long the items haven't been developed yet.

Going over your first post, I'd like to criticise just how ancient you plan to go. If you really do want to go back as far as the fossil Pokemon's time, by extension you're eliminating most modern Pokemon or at the very least lose most of them and keep a few as primitive, entirely different Pokemon(as noted in canon, Relicanth is the ONLY known non-legendary Pokemon to have lived entirely unchanged throughout the eons). Also, from the time period you'd be looking at, Hoenn would most likely look ENTIRELY different geographically (not just dustier routes), especially considering it has an active volcano (Hoenn would probably be much, much smaller). In fact, it is unlikely that humans existed alongside Kabutops at all, let alone humans advanced enough to start messing with physics (that box sounds to only be about 100 years old at most judging from the modern standards). There's just too many holes and questions in the idea for it to get approved in my honest opinion. Although I haven't seen your entire document so I'm probably talking out of my rear from your point of view.

My advice would be to set it in ancient human times (I dunno, 5000 years ago sounds like a nice number), base it around a heavily religious society (which you hinted at before - technology did get stunted a lot by religion), involve a time anomaly if you really want your Aerodactyl (random thought: they could be a symbol of power from the resident tyrannical empire - obtaining them through the use of equally sacrilegious means) and maybe have a tragic end where the technology dies and is forgotten, followed by a neat little epilogue whereby some farmer uncovers the lost manuscripts while picking apricorns.

I'm just motor-mouthing here, take it or leave it and call me a twit.

EDIT: Yeah, if you're going medieval style, stay the heck away from fossil Pokemon. They aren't even close.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
    That would make it fun, because you can't just push a button on a Pokedex and know what's up, or just rifle through a book. You have to ask someone who knows, or know yourself.

Books could be usable (depending on the time), but certainly not individual editions for every person. Instead, why not something along the lines of a set of encyclopedias for each town? Granted the characters can read, they would be a lot more efficient than lugging around a huge 600+-page book.

Anything beyond the ages of print would have to be passed down orally, even names and accurate descriptions.

Strikit

Years
    My central reason for going into the past at all is for the fossils. I need to figure out how to bring them in, if I'm going to do it like this at all. If I can't come up with anything I'll just revise it, or go back to waiting for a chapter based adventure style.

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
    The age you're looking at is best known with its stories of magic, so why not bring the fossils back with a ritual? The only problem would be population numbers, but that's fixed easily: Make the ritual complicated. If they needed something like a double-yolked egg and albino peacock down, they could only do it every so often and there would be just enough ancient Pokemon.

A minor problem would be habitats, though. Naturally, they would be around the city, which would be close to where the fossils were found (a Kabuto near a coastal city). The problem is getting them into remote areas. If they were treated with respect by the people, they would have no reason to stray too far. Most would be near the cities, but there could be a few places that attempted to use them for combat. Those Pokemon would have fled to other places.

Yeah, I'm rambling. Haha.

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
    Books could be usable (depending on the time), but certainly not individual editions for every person. Instead, why not something along the lines of a set of encyclopedias for each town? Granted the characters can read, they would be a lot more efficient than lugging around a huge 600+-page book.

Anything beyond the ages of print would have to be passed down orally, even names and accurate descriptions.

I think this could work really well. In particular if you went for the oral method. It allows for a lot of misinterpretation on the part of the ancient people. Each town could potentially have very, very different views or information on each type of pokemon, either through religious beliefs, misinterpretation of the stories passed down or plain old human error. I'm not quite sure how you plan the RP to work, but assuming the RPers are moving town to town this could create some interesting scenarios, as the RPers try to understand each town or tribes views on different pokemon.

The warden

I'm back!
    Years
    My central reason for going into the past at all is for the fossils. I need to figure out how to bring them in, if I'm going to do it like this at all. If I can't come up with anything I'll just revise it, or go back to waiting for a chapter based adventure style.

Why do the fossil Pokemon have to be fossils, you could use the explanation that the fossil Pokemon didn't die out like the real life sea creatures they are based on, just say that the population shrunk but they didn't go extinct yet, even if it puts them hundreds of thousands of years out of their time in our time line, it doesn't have to be the case in your time line.

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
    Why do the fossil Pokemon have to be fossils, you could use the explanation that the fossil Pokemon didn't die out like the real life sea creatures they are based on, just say that the population shrunk but they didn't go extinct yet, even if it puts them hundreds of thousands of years out of their time in our time line, it doesn't have to be the case in your time line.

Said proposed timeline is accurate to Pokemon and both real and Pokemon world humans, though. By saying that ancient Pokemon didn't turn into fossils, you're saying that the fossils found in the games don't exist.

Strikit

Years
    I had the thought of a medium sized box with a dial on the front. One would switch the dial to six different positions and then press it, causing the box to fall open and release the chosen Pokemon.

killet513

Death the Kid
    Years
    That sounds cool, but why not stick with the six balls and have them have a latch that you switch to release them and the same to bring them back. STARMAN15 and I got together and were coming up with ideas because we like it and that was one of the ideas that he stated.

Back