• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I don't want to play Colosseum or XD, I want to see how Gamefreak handles it. And I really hope that's where they go this time. In fact, this is part of why I wish they would skip over R/S remakes and go straight into the sixth generation. I want to see how they go with Pokemon on a console that is this powerful. Sticking with sprites and the top down view might be a bit weird on a console like this.

Good points there. We all know Genius Sonority makes a mean 3D RPG. The sprite thing is getting a little strange, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    R/S remake? Really?

What's wrong with the originals?

It makes sense that they remade B/R and S/G but those were the original gameboy games. Not even gameboy color games.

The Gameboy Advance brought B/R pretty up-to-date and even compared to the DS titles, I see it as being fine where it stands.

The GBA was advanced enough to create a game that doesn't need to be adjusted.

R/S are basically the same as FRLG in terms of style, development, and generation.
    If they remake those then it'd only seem right to remake other games of the generation.

So what are they going to do? Re-remake Blue and Red?

While they're at it they might as well remake D/P too! And heck, then we can get another remake of S/G and even B/W.

Seriously. There's no need for them to remake every single game every single time a new system comes out.

When the DS is obsolete then people are going to want all the DS titles to be remade.

I'd rather see them put the time into making a new game.
    Then again, after looking at how horrible the 4th/ 5th generation pokemon are it's quite obvious that they're out of ideas so I guess remaking games is a much easier route for them since it doesn't require new content.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Then again, after looking at how horrible the 4th/ 5th generation pokemon are it's quite obvious that they're out of ideas so I guess remaking games is a much easier route for them since it doesn't require new content.
    They're not running out of ideas, different pokémon designers are hired for each generation.

R/S remake? Really?

R/S are basically the same as FRLG in terms of style, development, and generation.
    If they remake those then it'd only seem right to remake other games of the generation.
    Seriously. There's no need for them to remake every single game every single time a new system comes out.
    First things first, they didn't remake Red/Blue, they remade Red/Green

Secondly, you're forgetting to take people's nostalgia into account.
    If you remember, R/S/E were among the best selling GBA games.
    Think about this from GameFreak and Nintendo (and while we're at it, all major companies)'s perspectives:
    Best Selling GBA games + Nostalgia + Remake = LOADS OF MONEY

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    First things first, they didn't remake Red/Blue, they remade Red/Green.
    You'd think so due to the titles, but there's much that says otherwise as well Masuda's reason why LeafGreen was called LG instead of WaterBlue.
    A lot of the differences between green to blue are absent in LG as well while the blue versions remain.

They're not running out of ideas, different pokémon designers are hired for each generation.
    The point is that honeycomb Pokemon or Pokemon that turn into dishwashers aren't exactly what I'd call great ideas. A lot of the Pokemon are just recycled from older ones too.
    Secondly, you're forgetting to take people's nostalgia into account.
    If you remember, R/S/E were among the best selling GBA games.
    Think about this from GameFreak and Nintendo (and while we're at it, all major companies)'s perspectives:
    Best Selling GBA games + Nostalgia + Remake = LOADS OF MONEY
    Big whoop.
    They should wait until another system comes along before remaking it.
    I mean in the same generation, they remade another set of games as it is.

The games aren't too old. There was S/R/E, then D/P/C, and now B/W. So they're only two 'games' after.

It's like saying they should start remaking the Harry Potter movies.

However, this is Nintendo so I guess it's to be expected.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    R/S remake? Really?

Other than the games are almost ten years old and two generations behind, nothing is wrong with the originals.

It makes sense that they remade B/R and S/G but those were the original gameboy games. Not even gameboy color games.

The Gameboy Advance brought B/R pretty up-to-date and even compared to the DS titles, I see it as being fine where it stands.
    Er, you do know the same could be said for the GBA titles too, yes?

So what are they going to do? Re-remake Blue and Red?...
    Kanto has been in every generation up to Generation V thus far. We had Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. When G/S/C was introduced, they also put Kanto in as a second region. During the third generation, they decided to make a full remake of the original R/B/G. Then Kanto was remade again in the HG/SS remakes. So, is it really that bad to take into account a remake for Ruby and Sapphire?

While they're at it they might as well remake D/P too! And heck, then we can get another remake of S/G and even B/W.

When the DS is obsolete then people are going to want all the DS titles to be remade.
    No one's even thinking about a remake for DPPt or Black and White. Pretty much everyone knows it's still way too early to even put them into consideration given the DS generation is still going, and I don't think Nintendo is ready to drop it any time soon; it's just becoming more advanced each time.

Not going to be commenting on the latter, because that's a matter of opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023

Other than the games are almost ten years old and two generations behind, nothing is wrong with the originals.
    This is true. Though I was moreso looking at the US release of Emerald which was in 2005 which really wasn't that long ago.
    Er, you do know the same could be said for the GBA titles too, yes?
    Not entirely. The DS graphics really aren't all that spectacular when compared to the GBA games. Yeah, they do look better of course, but I wouldn't say the DS graphics kill the GBA graphics. But I would say the GBA graphics kill the original ones. A big reason to this is the fact that the original games didn't even have color. If Sapphire and Ruby were in black and white then I'd be all for a remake. :)

too lazy to quote the rest. :P

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    This is true. Though I was moreso looking at the US release of Emerald which was in 2005 which really wasn't that long ago.

Not entirely. The DS graphics really aren't all that spectacular when compared to the GBA games. Yeah, they do look better of course, but I wouldn't say the DS graphics kill the GBA graphics. But I would say the GBA graphics kill the original ones. A big reason to this is the fact that the original games didn't even have color. If Sapphire and Ruby were in black and white then I'd be all for a remake. :)
    Ah yes, 2005 is still sort of recent I guess you could say. It depends on how desperate Nintendo is to get another remake out into the public eye though. I'm not anticipating any news on a RS remake next year, but perhaps the year after that it might be possible.

If we are to get a remake, I can see it being made for the 3DS. If that's so, then we might be seeing some drastic change in the game's graphics compared to what we had on the GBA.

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
    "In the newest Famitsu magazine, an interview with the head of The Pokémon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, has revealed that there are more games in the works beyond Pokémon Rumble Blast this year. In the interview, he stated that there are plans for games which surprise the players in the near future. He stated that they also intend to continue support for the Nintendo DS while pushing forward with support with the Nintendo 3DS. Full details about the games were not confirmed, but when we get information, it will be posted on the site."

RSE Remakes announcement? (:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    To be honest, neither R/S remakes nor the third version of B/W would be a surprise. However, video game companies like to think we're dumb and can't see their patterns. So it could still be one of the two. However, I'm going to think that it won't be. With that, my interest in it is extremely low - I couldn't care less about spin-off games.

Unless this "surprise" means skipping over to Generation 6. Not that I'm going to believe that, but it would truly be a surprise. A very pleasant surprise because I really couldn't care less about R/S remakes. Not saying that I'm expecting that to happen, or that it's even remotely likely. We must remember, when they say "a surprise" it doesn't particularly mean anything unexpected.

Last edited:

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
    Years

B/R is Gameboy Color, get that right.

----

What's with the complains over R/S remakes? They would be awesome ! But though, the number of Pokemon will boost really high and makes Hoenn much more.. crowded. Although, Hoenn is my favourite region (Surfing rox), but hey Gamefreak, if you made remakes of R/B(G) and G/S why wouldn't you make one for R/S?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    B/R is Gameboy Color, get that right.

----

What's with the complains over R/S remakes? They would be awesome ! But though, the number of Pokemon will boost really high and makes Hoenn much more.. crowded. Although, Hoenn is my favourite region (Surfing rox), but hey Gamefreak, if you made remakes of R/B(G) and G/S why wouldn't you make one for R/S?
    RBY were Gameboy games GSC were GBC though GS could work on the GB.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah let's turn around a brand new Pokémon game just one year after the last one, nothing's going to go wrong here at all!

R/S remakes won't be here until 2012 at least. I'd also bet heavily on them being 3DS games with fully 3D graphics, under the logic of "We have a system that can produce Gamecube-level graphics - we can use the 3D Pokémon from Colosseum/Battle Revolution/Pokédex 3D so we have over half the Pokémon graphics ready - it lets us utilise the 3DS's 3D effect in far more flexible ways - why would we want to draw over a thousand sprites again?"

Last edited:

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
    Years
    By the way Suicune, found one similarity between Johto and Hoenn (probably a speculation), plus this 'similarity' also apllies to G/S/C :/.

Here it is; Cianwood City in Johto and Dewford City in Hoenn have all three of a Fighting-type gym, separation from mainland and lack of a Pokemart.

Speculation/Similarity : Cianwood City in Johto and Dewford City in Hoenn have these 3 similarities;

1. a Fighting-type Gym
    2. separation from mainland
    3. lack of a Pokemart

Last edited:

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    By the way Suicune, found one similarity between Johto and Hoenn (probably a speculation), plus this 'similarity' also apllies to G/S/C :/.

Here it is; Cianwood City in Johto and Dewford City in Hoenn have all three of a Fighting-type gym, separation from mainland and lack of a Pokemart.

Speculation/Similarity : Cianwood City in Johto and Dewford City in Hoenn have these 3 similarities;

1. a Fighting-type Gym
    2. separation from mainland
    3. lack of a Pokemart

thats a cool asumption, you may also wanna think of this:

1. Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza in HG/SS, they were accesible on way or another, so why add them?

2. Latios and Latias in HG/SS

3. Steven Stone appearance

4. Hoenn Starters, and to evaluate on that, in Emerald when you completed the Pokedex you got Johto Starters, coincidence? NO!

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    The only thing supporting a R/S remake this year is that it's the 10th Japan release anniversary. Also, B/W is quite short and most of us are more or less done with it, bring on another game!

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's actually 2012 for the 10th Anniversary ^^

But yeah, even though we've just had B/W like you say, alot of us have finished it and it's already been out a year in Japan.. almost (o_0) we need a new game, even if it isn't an R/S remake. I do hope it is though, they did say they would "surprise us"

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    You can't make a big scale game with a year's worth of development time, especially under the current circumstances.

Yes, we saw Platinum, HG/SS and B/W release back-to-back for three years but this situation isn't comparable. Platinum was a minor update to a game that was made two years before that could be worked on with smaller team, while HG/SS was a remake that entailed most of the designing stage (and a lot of the foundation for the rest of the game) was already done for Game Freak. Because Platinum was the quickest kind of thing to make, I'd bet that HG/SS was in development at the same time as Platinum, before the two games came out.

But Black and White were a different story. Masuda remarked that they had been working on the game since 2006 and the release of Diamond and Pearl, which isn't surprising because they had to design a brand new region and Pokémon from scratch. Making a whole new game like Black & White is a tough job, and it's easy to see that they didn't have as much time as they would've liked to work on the game because it's full of unfinished content and other stuff that had to be put aside to hit the deadline.

Game Freak must have been working flat out until last August to get the game ready, so it's unrealistic to expect them to come out with another new game so soon after finishing their biggest project since Diamond and Pearl - remember how it took over a year to make Platinum and FRLG versions? (And don't forget that FR/LG wasn't nearly as good as HG/SS is, in terms of adding new content like new places, new music, new features and more storyline)

This is even more important if they want to release the game for the 3DS instead. Even if they did, it would just end up being a rushed product again, just like Black and White - and I'd rather wait one more year to get a better product for my money than have everything right now.

Last edited:

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
    You can't make a big scale game with a year's worth of development time, especially under the current circumstances.

Yes, we saw Platinum, HG/SS and B/W release back-to-back for three years but this situation isn't comparable. Platinum was a minor update to a game that was made two years before that could be worked on with smaller team, while HG/SS was a remake that entailed most of the designing stage (and a lot of the foundation for the rest of the game) was already done for Game Freak. Because Platinum was the quickest kind of thing to make, I'd bet that HG/SS was in development at the same time as Platinum, before the two games came out.

But Black and White were a different story. Masuda remarked that they had been working on the game since 2006 and the release of Diamond and Pearl, which isn't surprising because they had to design a brand new region and Pokémon from scratch. Making a whole new game like Black & White is a tough job, and it's easy to see that they didn't have as much time as they would've liked to work on the game because it's full of unfinished content and other stuff that had to be put aside to hit the deadline.

Game Freak must have been working flat out until last August to get the game ready, so it's unrealistic to expect them to come out with another new game so soon after finishing their biggest project since Diamond and Pearl - remember how it took over a year to make Platinum and FRLG versions? (And don't forget that FR/LG wasn't nearly as good as HG/SS is, in terms of adding new content like new places, new music, new features and more storyline)

This is even more important if they want to release the game for the 3DS instead. Even if they did, it would just end up being a rushed product again, just like Black and White - and I'd rather wait one more year to get a better product for my money than have everything right now.
    you bring up some good points there, but if you look at what you said in a different perspective, they could have been working on an emerald remake since '07 or '08, it took them 2 in a half years to do HG/SS, so still, in a since, you could never know exactly what their working on, but your idea makes since though, and i agree 100% with i dont want a rushed project of my second favorite pokemon game (first being HG/SS).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back