• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon School

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0ast

N0ob Hacker *_*
Years
  • TADADADADAAAAAAN!!!

I worked so hard and I think I can release an alpha! But now I'm going to answer to your questions!

well after reading all and it its a good concept i havnt seen a thread of
    yours in team discussions you could find a decent mapper to help you or to fix
    your errors or such

if you need new tiles sprites just opeen a team disscusion thread XD but i
    hope this hack becomes well known as old white was a school based game that
    died...

maybe I'll post something in the team discussion...

I was wandering, you said that there are few catchable pokemon in the game,
    does that mean no pokedex system or is there other ways of obtaining pokemon in
    the game?

This is a very cool question. Actually there's no pokedex but obviously I'll do some events to catch some special pokemons, you just have to find them :D

love the idea, but the mapping isnt the best. If you need a good mapper, I'm
    here to help you.

Thank you, I'll consider your offert.
    but anyway, is there a rival by any chance? and whats the story behind this
    game? is there some big secret in the school you and your classmates need to
    figure out? the 'high school drama' concept or what?

Yes there's a very funny rival, she's a girl, but everyone say that she's too old to go to school so she's always angry! It's an primary school drama for now, I don't want to think too much about the story, I noticed that it's coming by Itself... I just need to map and script.

Nice idea, I always had this idea about school in a hack I wanted to make but
    didn't have time for, and this hack does look promising, and if you need a
    beta/alpha tester, I can do it :)

Thank you! I think I'll release the alpha directly to the public because if more people test it, I'll find more bugs...
    Well this is
    interesting :\ but theres always a first for everything. in the beginning you
    mentioned tiles, it actually wouldn't matter since your going to be in a school,
    you wont be using half of the tiles in the main tileset (like
    pokecenter,mart,mountains...) also, what will happen to the badges? you should
    use them as ranks n stuff so whoever has a badge, can access other reserved
    parts of the school or campus (like the teachers lounge)
    This is what I want to do, the badges will become certificates, and without them you can't access to some zones.
    i can be an alpha tester! this game is interesting!

Thank you!

AND NOW, NEWS:

I've mapped and scripted all the catch zones, the school hall, the infirmary, the library, the first corridor, and the first sidequest plus the first official rival match, and I've added a secret pokemon event, hidden in .... Someone will tell you where it is... I'll add the screens to the first topic

Zetsubou Johnny

He once drank an entire bottle of windex
    Years
  • wow this looks amazing. I haven't played it yet, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. Story is the most important part of a game, and this one is different in the most wonderful way. Not over complicated and trys to hard to seem like something, and yet different and new enough to make someone want to play. Plus hearing all the work you've put in it makes me know it's going to be amazing. While having a good mapper on your team might help, don't let the people complaining about the mapping bother you, this is the sort of hack that doesn't need one that much. Its story that makes this one unique so don't let everyone talking about needing a mapper weigh too heavy on you.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I'm really looking forward to this man, It looks like it will be a great success and I hope you follow through, finishing the entire game.

g0ast

N0ob Hacker *_*
    Years
  • wow this looks amazing. I haven't played it yet, but I'll definitely be
    keeping an eye on this one. Story is the most important part of a game, and this
    one is different in the most wonderful way. Not over complicated and trys to
    hard to seem like something, and yet different and new enough to make someone
    want to play. Plus hearing all the work you've put in it makes me know it's
    going to be amazing. While having a good mapper on your team might help, don't
    let the people complaining about the mapping bother you, this is the sort of
    hack that doesn't need one that much. Its story that makes this one unique so
    don't let everyone talking about needing a mapper weigh too heavy on
    you.

Wow thank you! I know my hack is particolary unique but they're right I need to improve my mapping skills!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2014
    To be honest I didn't see very many tile errors so either they were fixed by the time I came or they don't know what they're talking about xD

Hope you go all the way with this ROM, it sounds really cool!

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • I'm just playing the alpha now and I must say I'm enjoying this hack, but some scripts go out of the box :P
    I look forward to more releases.
    Also I pm'd you about something. :)

g0ast

N0ob Hacker *_*
    Years
  • To be honest I didn't see very many tile errors so either they were fixed by
    the time I came or they don't know what they're talking about xD

Hope you
    go all the way with this ROM, it sounds really cool!

Thank you :) I think there are some tile errors but I can't find them lol
    I'm just playing the alpha now and I must say I'm enjoying this hack, but
    some scripts go out of the box :P
    I
    look forward to more releases.

Can you tell me which scripts go out of the box, please? :D

LapeFruitz

Khaos Hacker
    Years
  • ok, so I played this hack, and everything I see, is tile errors and grammar mistakes. Even some text script thingys goes out of the box. I don't like this hack.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I have to say, I've not played this that long, but there is a big room for improvement. The "catching area" has loads of tile errors, and just looks bad, with no little ledges to the water, the very long grass doesn't have a base so makes it look bad, the path in the central bit doesn't have any edges so that looks bad too. The scripting also has grammatical errors, and some of the speeches are so long for such a simple message. That's all just the first area.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    mm it is a pretty fun hack... but what i didn't like is that you need to train your pokemon(at least 3 ) to level 15+ in level 3 wild pokemon.. it takes alot of time and its really annoying... also after you arrive and you are already at the school there are like level 20 milotics and other really strong pokemon for that level... so in my opinion it made the game less fun..
    other than that awesome hack.

g0ast

N0ob Hacker *_*
    Years
  • Okokok, so:

1) The intro sucks, I know, I can't do anything on it and I'm looking for a person to fix it.

2) The tiles errors: I'm not focusing on maps, and I'm looking for a mapper.

3) The grammar mistakes: if you don't report them, I can't fix anything.

4) The trainers and the training for the pokemon: I've restarted the rom and in 5-6 minutes my pokemon were all 13-14 lev. And if you catch the right pokemon(s), you can easily beat the trainers.

5) I won't give up. I've started this project for fun and your not very constructive comments won't stop me.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Okokok, so:

1) The intro sucks, I know, I can't do anything on it and I'm looking for a person to fix it.

2) The tiles errors: I'm not focusing on maps, and I'm looking for a mapper.

3) The grammar mistakes: if you don't report them, I can't fix anything.

4) The trainers and the training for the pokemon: I've restarted the rom and in 5-6 minutes my pokemon were all 13-14 lev. And if you catch the right pokemon(s), you can easily beat the trainers.

5) I won't give up. I've started this project for fun and your not very constructive comments won't stop me.

1. OK, that's fair enough.

2. Still, you should take care making the maps.

3. Ever proof read? Proof read every script you've made in testing, so you can fix every mistake in every script, and you should have noticed when you restarted the ROM, or even when you tested it.

4. OK, fair enough. But it requires a bit of grinding, but that's not an issue for me, I quite like it (though at a school, you should be taught how to battle, like in the Rival battle in FRLG, but that's just me)

5. Great, don't give up, that's good. But most of these comments were constructive in some way, saying check the grammar, fix these tile mistakes (which I pointed out). That is constuctive. Admittedly some weren't, but the majority were helpful and should help you improve, as it makes you check.

By the way, when I get time, I will make a detailed list with pictures of all tile errors, grammar, scripting oddities and the like so you can improve specific instances. But it pays to check carefully, as all of the problems mentioned are there and are semi obvious.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • Yeah.... I would consider asking someone to help you with the mapping. Another thing that would work is take a ruby ROM, play it, and look at all the mapping tricks they use. Anything that doesn't look right is most likely not. There's a tile for everything, trust me.

This hack is a very interesting concept though... How many pokemon will you be able to find? I mean, there can only be so many pokemon you can cram into a zone, right? Will they be all three gens, or just one or two? It would be nice if you could elaborate on this.

You might just want to make a FAQ, since so many people have tons of questions about the details. Might save you some time.

Anywho, this hack looks good, you just need to fix up the tiles and then it will look A LOT better.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 21, 2012
    Hi just been playing your game it is an amazing concept and I had an idea for you, in the first area where you catch all your pokemon maybe you could add a computer so that we could train all our pokemon, not sure whether you think its good or whether i have missed the computer

Also maybe you could put a sign up next to that kid who says "I keep getting great balls when I click in front of me" which tells you which pokemon are there.

Yeah.... I would consider asking someone to help you with the mapping. Another thing that would work is take a ruby ROM, play it, and look at all the mapping tricks they use. Anything that doesn't look right is most likely not. There's a tile for everything, trust me.

This hack is a very interesting concept though... How many pokemon will you be able to find? I mean, there can only be so many pokemon you can cram into a zone, right? Will they be all three gens, or just one or two? It would be nice if you could elaborate on this.

You might just want to make a FAQ, since so many people have tons of questions about the details. Might save you some time.

Anywho, this hack looks good, you just need to fix up the tiles and then it will look A LOT better.

hey he has only just started so back off its a brilliant hack > : \

Last edited by a moderator:

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years

• hey he has only just started so back off its a brilliant hack > : \

Sorry, I didnt know I was being offensive in any way. I was just giving tips on how to help with all the tile errors. That's how I fixed my problem with it. Going through FR millions of times right clicking the tiles on their maps to see which ones they used.

And I did say that it was a good hack buddy.... Might want to read the whole post next time ;)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 21, 2012
    Sorry, I didnt know I was being offensive in any way. I was just giving tips on how to help with all the tile errors. That's how I fixed my problem with it. Going through FR millions of times right clicking the tiles on their maps to see which ones they used.

And I did say that it was a good hack buddy.... Might want to read the whole post next time ;)

Fair enough, just sounded like you were having a go more than anything

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 21, 2012
    Hey can you only get to the catching area coz I try to continue and nothing happens

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    Read the whole thing! Seems pretty cool! Though, the mapping is a bit lacking... I'm up to help too <3 I'm glad I'm not the only one not knowing how to insert tiles even after like a billion tutorials ;__; *HUGS*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back