• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Science Fiction or Fantasy?

Years
  • The mix of high-tech equipment and Legendaries running about in the Pokemon universe has got me thinking; Is the series Science Fiction, as things such as Mewtwo's existance(an artifically made super Pokemon, still one of the toughest around), Porygon, and the other high tech equipment floating about(like Pokeballs), or is it Fantasy with physical Gods in the flesh(Arceus, Dialga, and so forth), supernatural entities, and other such marvels like Aura and Dragons?

If given a chance which of the two(Sci-Fi or Fantasy) do you think would better fit the series?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Fantasy would fit in better because legendary Pokemon by themselves are more involved in the storyline, like Reshiram/Zekrom/Dialga/Palkia. There's a few elements of science fiction too because there are villianous teams, like Team Galactic, who plan to use technology to harness the power of the legendaries for their own reasons.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's a mon game. No other single label quite fits; things can have elements of different genres without strictly befitting any single one.
    Still, I'd say it's closer to fantasy, what with the sole basic premise being supernatural monsters fighting each other.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Have to agree with Cassino here on that neither of those terms really fit, because it's not related to the main point. Aspects of them might exist in the game but they are definitely not the main genre.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • If given a chance which of the two(Sci-Fi or Fantasy) do you think would better fit the series?

If i had to choose i would say Fantasy, since Sci-fi usually involves a futuristic setting, or a plausable theory within it (talking animals with magical powers is NOT plausable), while fantasy often does involve magical animals/creatures.

All in all, as i'm sure you all know, it is an RPG, nothing more and nothing less.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I would probably define it as urban fantasy, vaguely comparing the setting to the book seires of the Mortal Instrument: it's set in present time with elements form ancient/medieval times still playing a big role in the (present) world.

Back