• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Shadow Grey - Shades of the Past Await

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
Years
  • UPDATE

Hm, this hack seems really unique.I like it how it's suppose to have an ''old'' feeling to it.For the tiles, some houses look good, some look bad, and I'm okay with grass in towns as long as I am not forced to pass it.I like how your doing pre-evos and evos, especially with the starters, it's somewhat unique.Which leads me to the starters, the Houndour and the Carvanaha line look good and look somewhat like each other but Cacterra doesn't look right.It kinda looks nothing like Cacnea and Cacturne and more like Bigfoot covered in leaves (Maybe you guys rushed, I dunno).

I still like this hack however, and it's not even on it's first beta yet so who am I to judge.Good luck :)

Haha, I like your enthusiasm, we are constantly reviewing all the posts for any changes we could make for the better. In this hack we were hoping that all the starters could be 'badass', but it's more difficult than you might imagine! Though saying that I shall have a word with our spriter and see if he has any other ideas concerning Cacterra.

UPDATE. Due to continued problems with unLZ.gba with regards to time and effort wasted, and trying to get the program to run efficiently we are restarting the hack. This is so that we can make use of Wichu's Advanced series kit. However this should not take long, the hack has gotten to this point in a matter of weeks, and we should just need to transfer maps, tiles, data, scripts etc to a new base. We can't make current use of the kit as the hack is currently based on a U.K. rom, and no such ini has been made with regards to this, (despite our pleading throughout various threads).
    At most we expect this relocation to set us back about a week, so don't get worried if there aren't any updates, chances are we will still be working hard to bring you the hack you want.

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
    Years
  • ----------------- HELP -----------------

Dear Everyone,

Okay, we have a problem guys. I have the team together at my place, for a few drinks ;) and we've hit a snag, because unLZ.gba is causing us so many problems we decided it would be best to use a clean US rom and insert sprites using Wichu's Advanced series kit, however we didn't take into account at the time that we also need to insert new sprites for every trainer that appears in the game, this clearly means that we will have to use unZL.gba whether we like it or not. Our hope is that if we post the problem we are having, one of you guys will have the 'know how' or 'know who' to help us get us past this difficulty.

The Problem:
    We have read at least a dozen tutorials on inserting Fakemon/ new sprites etc. and are pretty much as clued in as anyone, however, our sprites just won't write to the rom. Also, before everyone starts suggesting fixes etc that we already know about heres where we stand:
    We know sprites must be 64x64 pixels,
    We know sprites need to be indexed and We know how,
    We know that if the new data is too large you need to use free space finder to get an offset when inserting.
    In a nutshell the problem is this, the sprites will open fine in unLZ.gba (not an indexing problem), there are no problems whatsoever importing palletes. It is just that when we click write to rom (having added what should be the new images offset and selecting the boxes 'repoint' and 'auto-abort') nothing happens, the write to rom box closes as if it has worked, but no re-pointing boxes pop up, just.. nothing happens, as if we never clicked write to rom at all.

We would be incredibly grateful for any suggestions as to why this is happening, as otherwise we don't see a future for the hack.

Many Thanks,

KCAT HAX

ShadowSpriter

KCAT HAX Spriter!
    Years
  • Hi everyone! just to let you know im greys friend :) and... im the spriter for pokemon shadow grey! he finally got me to set up an account lol so that we can both watch whats happening in the thread and stuff and im here for when hes busy which is like all the time anyways.so yeh please help with the problem we have! well its mostly my problem really cuz im the one thats doing all the sprite stuff, but i dont want to let anyone down! thanx x

Shucklin

Punch in the Meowth!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    Best tiles ever! The fakemon could use tweaking though.

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
    Years
  • Hi everyone! just to let you know im greys friend :) and... im the spriter for pokemon shadow grey! he finally got me to set up an account lol so that we can both watch whats happening in the thread and stuff and im here for when hes busy which is like all the time anyways.so yeh please help with the problem we have! well its mostly my problem really cuz im the one thats doing all the sprite stuff, but i dont want to let anyone down! thanx x

Haha you're such a child, and your grammar is appalling. Anyway, glad you could join us. :)

Last edited:

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
    Years
  • Thank you :)

Will Johto, Kanto and Hoenn be "old-looking" too? Or is it just the look of Corvon?

We thought about this for a while and came to the conclusion that Johto will be old looking, due to the fact that the hack is set in the past, and any new looking tiles would just detract from the feel and general experience of the hack. The same goes for any other cities/towns from other regions that we are going to add.

pancakeonmyhead

Kpop Enthusiast
    Years
  • This looks very promising, some of the tiles are actually quite gorgeous.
    If a beta tester is ever needed, count me in, since you said you're looking at releasing a beta around late December.
    I don't have any beta testing experience, but 'ya gotta start somewhere, right?
    Plus, loads of free time in December~

Anyway, I wish you luck~

ShadowSpriter

KCAT HAX Spriter!
    Years
  • This looks very promising, some of the tiles are actually quite gorgeous.
    If a beta tester is ever needed, count me in, since you said you're looking at releasing a beta around late December.
    I don't have any beta testing experience, but 'ya gotta start somewhere, right?
    Plus, loads of free time in December~

Anyway, I wish you luck~

thankyou! i think anyone that wants to be a part of the team or beta test and stufff should inbox me or grey, then we know what options we have and dont have to go through the thread to find out who wants to do stuff k?
    x

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
    Years
  • Yeah, ShadowSpriter is right, if anyone wishes to join the team, and or be a part of this hack in anyway please could you inbox one of us. This way we will have everyone's details in one place and will save us from trawling through the thread in late december looking for someone who asked to beta test. Much appreciated.

---> Also, official release of Team Shadow Grunt, with thanks to ShadowSpriter (unfortunately she can't post images yet), though we don't plan on calling these guys grunts; Team Shadow is too sophisticated for that haha.

Pokemon Shadow Grey - Shades of the Past Await

Good news! The problem has been fixed and work on the hack is picking up again!

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    The tiles look like they're from an old GBC game, not the past. Just because they're simple doesn't mean they look old. Then again, I've never seen any old fashion buildings in handheld games that look any better, so... Way to hold the bar?

One question I have though is what kind of past is this? There's simple no Poke Marts or Poke Centers, but yet there's a sink (but I'm guessing you just haven't changed it yet) and... streetlights...

Technology is all over the place.

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
    Years
  • The tiles look like they're from an old GBC game, not the past. Just because they're simple doesn't mean they look old. Then again, I've never seen any old fashion buildings in handheld games that look any better, so... Way to hold the bar?

One question I have though is what kind of past is this? There's simple no Poke Marts or Poke Centers, but yet there's a sink (but I'm guessing you just haven't changed it yet) and... streetlights...

Technology is all over the place.

Some things are yet to be replaced. The street lights are like hanging lanterns, and i'm pretty sure sinks have been around for a while, albeit not modern looking like that. We'll look into these kind of details more as we get closer to the beta release.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • Quick question: Is Cacnea being changed to a Grass/Dark type? Or is it just going to stay as a Grass type? Houndoor and Carhvahna are both dual Dark type, where Cacnea just is grass until it evolves. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention... :)

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I'm just dropping by to say your guy's tiles are amazing. I really love the style of them.

Years
  • Tiles look good. Hack looks promising. I'll be watching over this. If you come across any more problems feel free to contact me.

Back