• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Shadow of the Wastes

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    ^^ Wow, thanks. I don't know that I'd heard of a "sandbox" game.
    What I really wanted was... well, for the game to make more sense. The age of the player, and many of the things that happen - even in the originals - just doesn't make much sense.

But it's not that there won't be an order to events. Some events will still trigger others, even though I'll probably put in random events too. The thing is, though, that I won't be forcing your hand. You'll have to explore, and stumble onto it, like what might happen for real.
    Like, if the player sees the vengeful team (I don't have a name yet, but I'm working on it - it will probably be "revenge" in another language XP) anyway, sees them doing something to Team Rocket, that triggers the possibility of then stumbling onto Team Rocket harassing a lone grunt from the other Team. Things like that.
    So if by "linear" you meant the way people shove you into what to do and where to go, then yes, I'm trying to stay away from "linear". ;D

As for the spriting, I appriciate the offer. How about you show me some stuff you can do, and we'll go from there? Also, what kind of sprites are we talking about? The overworlds? Or battle sprites, or more than one kind?

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
    This is a really good hack! Your mapping skills are way better than mine will ever be! I think this is the first hack that actually has a more loose storyline than a strict one like in the official PKMN games. Also if you are wanting to add some easter eggs I have an idea....trainer battles from certian members of PC that are really good trainers or something....(And one of those trainers are me....) um anyways keep it up! Don't give up because you would crush a lot of people!

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
    I've just taken a read through it and it looks promising. As others have said, I like the non-compulsory approach as I've always wondered why you have to do some things in the Nintendo games when you might not want to. That's really the reason I've done what I have with my game.
    Anyway, looks great and I would like to help but I'm kinda consumed by my game at the moment but good luck.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Thanks, although (@ Kitsune Link) I think I'm going to need to work with some of the maps I've done again later. That's okay, though, I guess, since I just want a sort of "outline" right now. But Forest town is more or less the way I want it to stay right now.

Anyway, I will do my very best to stay with this, especially now that I see it's not just me who thinks it's a good idea.

And you know, random trainers from here sounds like a good idea. Too soon for me to recruit people for the job yet, but they'd be random trainers in the special areas (caves, forests, etc) and/or away from the routes. No gym leaders or anything. Maybe some trainers in the Great and Mini-Gyms, though. Sounds like fun. Nobody gets their own sprites, though, I think. But you can choose what kind of trainer you want to be, when I get that far.

Last edited:

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
    Thanks, although (@ Kitsune Link) I think I'm going to need to work with some of the maps I've done again later. That's okay, though, I guess, since I just want a sort of "outline" right now. But Forest town is more or less the way I want it to stay right now.

Anyway, I will do my very best to stay with this, especially now that I see it's not just me who thinks it's a good idea.

And you know, random trainers from here sounds like a good idea. Too soon for me to recruit people for the job yet, but they'd be random trainers in the special areas (caves, forests, etc) and/or away from the routes. No gym leaders or anything. Maybe some trainers in the Great and Mini-Gyms, though. Sounds like fun. Nobody gets their own sprites, though, I think. But you can choose what kind of trainer you want to be, when I get that far.

Okay! Ill think about what trainer ill be...keep it up! Ill download the first beta in a heartbeat. :D. Also....will this game be the first to actually have its own custom reigion music rather than using Kanto tunes? I would love to play a hack like that...but it dosent matter right now...its just one of my suggestions...

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    That's a very good idea... unfortunately I'm really rather new at this, and all I can do is try my best. I don't want to get a vision that's larger than I can fulfill.

My first priority is to get the region working - so that you can explore most or all of it, probably including going through the League, since you don't have to do any events to do that in my game.

Next comes the storyline; all the random events which spin off of each other and etc. Once the world is working, that's my next priority.

And only after the story is working properly (or mostly), do I intend on worrying about things like that. Especially since I have a tendency to fear overwriting something important. >.< The basics are what I want to focus on now.

But when I get far enough to start thinking about the special little things that don't affect gameplay - the title screen, the music - then I'll definitely keep that in mind. It would certainly help keep the feel of my game.

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
    Oh-oh.

There's only 2 empty spaces for new Pokemon in FR/LG. There's heaps in Ruby, but FireRed only has 2! You could replace Unown, though you probably don't want to... ASM? Use Ruby? Replace pokes? Give up on EV Robots? HEX? Those are all the ideas I have...

Wait, that's 2 sprites. Oops.

Last edited:

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
    Hey Im doing the same thing with my hack. Im sticking with the basic of basics with mine! Im like you but probably not even as good. I still need to learn how to script, make events and warps from scratch and new people and trainer battles. Anyways it is a pretty good idea to start with the map but just to let you know for the heck of it: I first edit the map then I go back and change what the people say then I go and put new music in but it never really sounds good as I would need someone to make and loop the songs....but anyways....whatever we hackers tend to do the method of how things are made in our own ways hu? I know this is kinda off topic but....have you played my hack? You don't gotta but i definatly will play yours as soon as you get the first beta out! ^_^

~Poke~

Years
    Ok, I finally bothered to actually READ the extra pokes tut. So, I think I'll do it for you (yay) but make sure you backup the hack before using the IPS I'll give you when I'm done.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    ^^ Oh COOL! XD Pardon my enthusiasm... *sheepishly stops jumping up and down*

@Poke - Yes, I'd already read the tutorial and knew there wasn't a problem. But if you want to do it I'm okay with that. Thing is, I don't have the Pokebot sprites just yet. Nor the sprite for my legendary or anything else I may add. So I guess I'll have to work on that now! O.O

Anyway, I've been starting to feel the pressure (not your faults, it's just what happens) and so when it starts to get to me, I'll take a little break until I can get my balance back and feel okay when I work. I'm all for finishing this, and if I want to do that, I can't let the pressure get to me.

Anyway, that said, I've got the general idea down for Port Town, and was working on the Crossroads, although I think I'm changing how I'm doing that...

Just to make sure you all know I'm still here, and still have a mind to finish this, even if it does end up taking a while.

~Poke~

Years
    I've got some bad sprites, just to hold the place and get replaced later. I'm just having a problem with indexing. It says it's not indexed after I index it.

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
    T_T....(Whimpers a bit) Dang.....Yours hack will definatly be much better than mine, plus your getting way more comments on yours and you havent released a beta unlike me! Ok...how do you make your hack popular cuz my thread aint getting hardly any comments and only a few people downloaded beta 4! Im sorry about this....I sorta feel upset....(I still need some team members...only one has accepted but its only a banner guy....T_T) Well maybe things for me will get better and as for you I give you thumbs up and these words "Dont give this up ever!"

~Poke~

Years
    T_T....(Whimpers a bit) Dang.....Yours hack will definatly be much better than mine, plus your getting way more comments on yours and you havent released a beta unlike me! Ok...how do you make your hack popular cuz my thread aint getting hardly any comments and only a few people downloaded beta 4! Im sorry about this....I sorta feel upset....(I still need some team members...only one has accepted but its only a banner guy....T_T) Well maybe things for me will get better and as for you I give you thumbs up and these words "Dont give this up ever!"

Well I guess people like the sound of this "scrapbox" hack. It's a really good idea, and I hope it gets finished.

Don't be sad, people don't like my hack. (I think)

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    AN UPDATE!!! sort of...

I've made the Pokebot sprites! (but not inserted them DX) And what Pokemon makes the best punching bag? Why, a Wobbuffet, of course...

I know some of them are a little hard to tell apart, but they ARE all different colors. In order, it's Orange/brown - HP, Red - Attack, Yellow - Defense, Blue - Sp Attack, Green - Sp Defense, Pink - Speed; and the Golden Pokebot, which you use to train levels faster.

At some time I'll get to the legendaries and whatnot, and when I do I'll post the pics.

@ the comments about how to attract attention... you attract it by linking to your thread in your signature, and you keep it by having something special and unique.
    Anyways, hopefully we won't get too off topic, so if you want to talk about that more, PM me.

~Poke~

Years
    Those are really good. Have you indexed them? For some reason Irfanview doesn't want to index them for me...

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Well, they shouldn't have more than 16 colors, but I don't know how to do all that stuff either. It's not too urgent, so don't feel rushed. I saw something somewhere on how to index sprites, but I don't really remember much... DX

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I've made the Pokebot sprites! (but not inserted them DX) And what Pokemon makes the best punching bag? Why, a Wobbuffet, of course...

I know some of them are a little hard to tell apart, but they ARE all different colors. In order, it's Orange/brown - HP, Red - Attack, Yellow - Defense, Blue - Sp Attack, Green - Sp Defense, Pink - Speed; and the Golden Pokebot, which you use to train levels faster.

At some time I'll get to the legendaries and whatnot, and when I do I'll post the pics.

@ the comments about how to attract attention... you attract it by linking to your thread in your signature, and you keep it by having something special and unique.
    Anyways, hopefully we won't get too off topic, so if you want to talk about that more, PM me.
    Yeah, those Pokebot's are really good, just like the map on the first page, good luck.

Back