• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon: Shadows of the Past - Chapter 1. V 0.3.0 OUT! The PC update! (Drop pokemon, release them and more)

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Thumb Long Animated.gif

POKEMON SHADOWS OF THE PAST
    Chapter 1: This World Belongs to Us

Overview
    A story centered around how the evil teams have affected both people and pokemon,
    and their shadow still haunts them even after being long gone.
    Can they really recover after everything that has happened?
    Or are they destined to be trapped in an endless cycle of despair.
    The choice is yours...

The Story
    You and other kids from around the world have been selected to test Professor Pines' new technology,
    which promises to bring an end to evil organization using powerful pokemon for their own gain.
    Explore the island, collect items, befriend pokemon in unique ways and get to know your 4 rivals,
    each with their own shadow from their past hauting them.
    Will you become their friend... Or their worst nightmare?

Pokemon: Shadows of the Past - Chapter 1. V 0.3.0 OUT! The PC update! (Drop pokemon, release them and more)

What Lies Beyond the Dark?
    The freedom to explore the island is yours... However, you may find things that make you wish you never did...

New Features!
    TACTICS!
    Have you ever wanted to give custom orders to your pokemon, or catch pokemon without the need to fight them? NOW YOU CAN!
    Tactics are extra actions you can do during your turn by spending Tactic Points (You gain 1 each turn).
    Spoiler:

A living World!
    Areas that have pokemon in them will have a grass animation on top of them. Sometimes pokemon will be the ones that come out too!
    Spoiler:

Healing Statues!
    Mysterius statues exist through the island that restore your pokemon team to full health, no more running to pokemon centers!
    Spoiler:

Fully Portraited Characters!
    Your four rivals all have their own portraits with unique expressions for each!
    Spoiler:

Your Choices Matter!
    How yout interact with your rivals and the world around you has concequences. Your rivals will treat you differentely depending on how you talk to them.
    This will also impact future Chapters, where eventually all these choices will culminate in different endings.
    Spoiler:

Secret Bosses?

Out of Battle Damage!

To add to the feeling of adventure, some parts of the game include sections where you can be hurt outside of battle. If that happens, your first pokemon takes the hit.
    Spoiler:

Multiple Save Files!
    Shadows of the Past if a game about desitions, and what better way to say it than with 20 Save files.
    Spoiler:

Returning Features!
    • Following Pokemon!
    • Animated sprites for battle.
    • Pokemon from Gen 1 to 5 (Planning on expanding adding more gens if I find animated resources for battle).
    • Pick any starter from Gen 1 to 4.
    • Infinite TMs (Once you get a TM, hop into your pokemon moves and equip it)
    • Relearn Old Moves (Go to your pokemon moves and select one to switch it for a new or old one, just like that)
      Spoiler:
    • EXP SHARE can be turned On or Off from settings.
      Spoiler:
    • Physical/Special split.

Download
    V 0.1 Google Drive Link
    V 0.2 Google Drive Link
    V0.2 saw several internal changes with how resources are loaded and data is structured. Old save files still work, consider it a beta for now.
    V 0.3 Google Drive Link
    V0.3 adds the ability to release pokemon and to drop and grab them without needing to switch with one of your pokemon.

This game is made with Unity, once downloaded unzip the file and Click on Shadows of the Past.exe.

Controls
    Use arrows or WASD to move,
    Z or Space to interact,
    X to cancel or open menu,
    C is reserved for special cases.

Discord Server
    Link to access!

My Twitter!

Known Bugs
    • The 1st saveslot will sometimes be overwritten automatically, always use saveslots from 2 onwards.

Credits!
    Portrait Artist
    Bbarts

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey, ho!^^

I find this concept interesting and I have a very important question for me:
    Would this game be possibe to stream on Twitch?
    When the choices matters, then my viewers can do it. ;-)

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Hey, ho!^^

I find this concept interesting and I have a very important question for me:
    Would this game be possibe to stream on Twitch?
    When the choices matters, then my viewers can do it. ;-)

I would love it if you streamed it on twitch. Feel free to hop into into the discord and send us the link when you stream it so that we can watch it!

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Is/will there be a way to get other starters? And how long is the game currently?

If you mean getting multiple starters yes, I want you to be able to, I want it to be in a special way though, like having to complete a quest to gain access to where they are.

Chapter 1 is 3 hours long aprox. My main goal was to create a short but fun experience for chapter 1 that introduces you to new mechanics as you play.
    I want my game to remain exciting rather than tryng to extend the playtime, since I know not everyone has the time to put 20+ hours in games nowadays.

ARCEUS493ZELDA

ArcBolt27
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    game seems pretty solid atm, tho i did notice a couple bugs: most notably when my starly evolved into staravia, despite not nicknaming it, its name stayed starly after evolving, also my starter (chimchar) had a blacked out sprite in the pokedex but i still have data on it, albeit not full data................. i wanna say this is intentional but im not 100% certain hence my mentioning of it just in case

RedKitsune

Kitsune
    Days
    • any
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I loved playing this first chapter, can't wait to play again as soon as the next one is out

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    game seems pretty solid atm, tho i did notice a couple bugs: most notably when my starly evolved into staravia, despite not nicknaming it, its name stayed starly after evolving, also my starter (chimchar) had a blacked out sprite in the pokedex but i still have data on it, albeit not full data................. i wanna say this is intentional but im not 100% certain hence my mentioning of it just in case

Oh dang! I though I had fixed the naming problem on evolution. In the meantime you can always rename your pokemon by going to the gear in the pokemon view, selecting rename and then hitting enter.

As for Chimchar appearing blacked out, it is a bug! Thank you for letting me know. When you obtain your starter it's supposed to mark it as caught in the pokedex, but it seems to be marking it as seen only. I will fix it in the next release.

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    I loved playing this first chapter, can't wait to play again as soon as the next one is out

Thank you ❤️! This warms my heart! I have a few things planned for the next iteration. My plan right now is to include the next 2 gyms and let you complete them in the order you want (with level scaling depending if you completed the other gym or not). I also want to make some exclusive events depending on choices you made, but I'm still thinking about which ones would fit best.

Days
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Felicidades por tremendo juegazo! Adoro los personajes, sus dibujos y la historia con la que le diste sentido a todo. Muchos éxitos, que llegue a miles de personas y ojala más adelante haya lugar para una continuación. No encontré ningún Bug jugando, el desarrollador lo dio todo. Bien hecho!!! 😍

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Alright everyone. Version 0.2 is out.

Changes:
    - Fixed multiple battle animations happening at the same time.
    - Levitate and Flash Fire now work properly.
    - Changed the inner structure of the game to make it easier to add content in the future. This also makes it easier for new members of the project to interact with the game.
    - Fixed savefile index been 1 off if all save files were used.
    - Minor changes to dialogues.
    - The game will now remember what you answered to the profesor about team plasma :)
    - Added Duskull line to the game. It can be found at night in the pre gym forest.
    - You can now go to the pre gym forest after the final event at night. Maybe there is something waiting for you that you missed before...

Last edited:

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Thanks to the discord I've managed to found and fix many bugs!

Changes:
    - Pokemon that used the old version of watergun now use the correct version.
    - Evolution by items now works with all pokemon.
    - Added validations for transitions, now you can open the menu between them.
    - Fixed a bug where Unity went insane and wanted to charge devs per game install.

Upcoming changes
    - Umbreon and Espeon will be added with evolution stones.
    - A way of releasing non-shadow pokemon.

ProfessorDarwin

Silly Dog
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Hello everyone! Here's a QoL updated for those who like to catch the perfect team (or wanna play nuzlocke hehe)

Changes:
    - You can now release pokemon from the PC.
    - You can now drop a pokemon into the PC without needing to switch with one in your party.
    - Same for taking a pokemon out of the PC.
    - The evolution screen will now display pokemon sizes more realistically.

Upcoming changes
    - Umbreon and Espeon will be added with evolution stones.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Unsure if these are bugs but, Marshtomp and Ivysaur don't have models. Another possible bug I found is Lick still paralyzes me even if I'm immune to the move.

Back