• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Starter Kit

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Since I see some interest in Game Maker I thought I would think about creating one, it's actually not that hard creating a engine like Pokemon. It's actually quite simple but that depends on coding abilities, since I know GML very well it shouldn't take long.

Creating the battle system is easy, it's turn based but what about making the actual battle system better? Like adding ATB(Active Time Battle) instead of Enemy 1 ATTACK, Hero Attack. Repeat!

Features:

- 8X8 Grid movement (GBA is 240X160 which is 8X8 tiles Not 16X16!)
    - "S" Key running
    - Pokemon Battle System
    - Type-writer Dialog (sorry hate pokemons dialog function...) It'll pretty much be like RPG Makers Dialog functions.
    - Pokemon AI (Smart, not dumb... sorry but Pokemon had a terrible Battle AI)
    - Weather effects
    - Mapping Effects
    - Pokemon FR/LG Menu(s)

Years
  • Well knowing you, I know this will turn out good. I've played the demos of your Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku Starter Kits, and there are amazing.
    Can't wait for this! Good luck.

Rassalon

Epic One
    Years
  • Try'd making a pokemon game with game maker once. I failed. But i have always still wanted to make one in it. So i give you all the best of luck in making your kit.

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Game Maker is a different type of engine especially if you're coming from RPG Maker, I can code one but it's gonna take time. I'm basically just gonna throw together the battle system to see if the community would have interest in well a more complex version. The battle engine itself will reflect D/P.

Right now I'm working on my Legacy of Goku ABS SDK which well seems to be in need atm on some forums I'm on.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The GBA games use a 16x16 walkable grid. Sure, the GBA tile size is 8x8, but in Pokemon, the tiles are actually four of those small tiles combined. A 16x16 tile size would be a lot more convenient (and probably look better).

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Awesome theres a few on gamemaker community, but when i tried using game maker to develop a game using it none worked, i will definetly show interest.

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    The reason why they didn't work as they just weren't meant for the long haul, that's how I code in GM. I make the engine work for the long haul in development, I have 2 days off next week and I'll code that Battle demo.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
    Years
  • Well so are you gonna create an engine from scratch? Why not adopt this D/P pokemon engine and keep working on it? It looks rather promising I must say:
    screenie245.png

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    The coding was very bad and the engine was edgy and buggy.
    Plus the map engine wasn't correct, it's easier to use objects as tiles and backgrounds for like grass.

Anyway just started the battle system.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I'm really anticipating this, I've been making a Pokémon game on game maker for a few months now and I would have no idea where to even start on a battle system.

Like others have said, it would be better if you do 16x16 by the way.

Back