• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon The First Movie Mewtwo Strikes Back

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I've seen this movie in English and Japanese, and didn't see that much of a difference between the two-but that might be just because I don't understand a word of Japanese. :p

But anyway, my favorite part of the movie is, when the Pokemon and clones are fighting. I find when Misty-or was it Brock?-says "Pokemon aren't meant to fight!!" reaaaaaally ironic.

Well, I could link you up to Dogasu's comparison to the movie. Or, better yet, I could just copy and paste it right here:

Thoughts
    Here is the infamous first movie dub. All over this site and others, the opinion that "this dub is horrible" has been stated over and over and over. Well, while rewatching it for this comparison (this was only my second time watching the dub), I find that I have even more disgust toward it than I did those years ago when I first saw it in theatres. It's the worst Pokemon dub ever, yet it made the most money of any Pokemon dub to date. If you've never seen the Japanese version of this movie, take a few minutes (and it will take that long) to see why everyone's been *****ing about this constantly. After reading everything below, you'll either a) see the horrors of the dub, or b) think I have no life and should stop overanalyzing every minute detail of a kids' movie. Either way, I believe that this is the most complete scene-by-scene analysis on the Internet, and I hope you find some interesting info.

There are a large amount of Video Edits, all of which are listed here. Though there is evidence that 4Kids had a hand in those, we don't really know, so I'll keep them separate from the rest of the edits for the time being.

Myuu and Kairyuu keep their Japanese voices.

Script
    The script is rather bad. If I went through and listed every difference between the Japanese script and the American one, I'd be typing out the transcript of the entire movie. I'm not kidding. A few times, they got the gist of what was said, but a lot of what was said was ad-libbed, dumbed-down, or just altered for no known reason.

Music Edit
    The soundtrack is changed for this movie like it was for the accompanying mini-movie. Again, the music isn't terrible, but as with "Pikachu's Summer Vacation," the original Japanese soundtrack would have been preferred. The vocal songs are rather bad, but I'll get to them as the comparison progresses. According to the official website:

"We also rescored the entire movie with all new music that would better reflect what American kids would respond to."
    -Norman Grossfeld
    So there you have it--the Japanese soundtrack wasn't good enough. At least according to 4Kids.
    One thing that bothered me was that the Japanese movie had lots of silence, but the American movie had almost none. I think it's good that there WAS silence in the American movie, but the entire first scene up to the destruction of the lab had no background music.

Dialogue Edit
    The opening scene in the Japanese version has Myuutwo asking itself who it is, where it came from, and all those other questions it asks itself about a million times in this movie. However, the American version has some random narrator talking about "Life, the great miracle, and the great mystery." Not only that, but the narrator's LOUD. Compared to the quite voice of the Japanese Myuutwo asking itself questions, the narrator's shouting really gets this movie off to a bad start.

Sound Effect Edit
    When Myuutwo breaks free from its test tube, the dubbers added an alarm noise to the background that wasn't there in the Japanese version.

Dialogue Edit
    Not once in the dub do they say the word "God." Mewtwo never asks if it was created by God, nor does Dr. Fuji regrets that he played God right before he dies. It's all silly censorship, especially when there are other G-rated movies that have gotten away with much worse...

Dialogue Edit
    Giovanni tells Mewtwo that he'll help the pokemon gain control of its powers, suggesting that its powers are out of control. No such suggestion is made in the Japanese original--in fact, the suit is originally put on Myuutwo to suppress its powers to prevent it from being able to rebel against the Rocket-Dan.

Title Screen
    I just wanted to say how much cooler the Japanese title screen is than the American one. It's also done by computers, but the camera goes through the letters like a maze until the camera zooms out and reveals the title. The dub title just kind of appears with no flair whatsoever.

They actually could have used the Japanese title screen, as the English title "Mewtwo Strikes Back" appears on the Japanese title screen alongside the Japanese letters. But since it contained the language of the Devil known as "Japanese," they didn't.

Side Note
    The pirate trainer guy who challenges Satoshi to a battle is really funny in the Japanese version, and the main reason is his voice. He is voiced by Raymond Johnson, the American guy in Suzukisan. Almost everything the pirate says in the Japanese version is in Engrish, and what he says in Japanese has a really heavy American accent (Raymond is from Boston, by the way). While the original voice actor made the character fun, it was something that the dubbers really couldn't reproduce.

On the dub side, he's given a standard American voice, but his lines are almost dead-on translations. So there is some good out of this movie.

Music Edit
    A version of Pokémon Theme plays during the opening credits instead of Mezase Pokemon MASUTAA '98, but that was to be expected. I like the movie version of the American song better, for some reason.

During the opening theme, when Satoshi's pokemon win, you can see his mouth move, but you don't hear him talking. In the dub, we can hear Ash. I guess 4Kids thought it would freak kids out too much to see Ash's mouth move without sound coming out of it.

Video Edit
    This one's strange. In the American version of the OP, we see Machamp come out of its PokéBall, and then the animation is repeated. So we see Machamp come out of its PokéBall twice. But in the Japanese version, we only see Kairikii come out of its Monster Ball once--the animation isn't looped again. So I'm thinking "Well, maybe 4Kids repeated the footage in the dub to make the video long enough to fit the new song." But then in the very next scene, 4Kids makes a series of cuts at the part where Ash throws his Poke Ball to release Squirtle. They cut off seconds from the end of each shot-the shot of Ash throwing the Poke Ball, the shot of the Poke Ball in the air shooting Squirtle out, and the shot of Squirtle landing on the ground.

So 4Kids added seconds to the opening by repeating the animation of Machamp coming out, but then took away seconds from the shots of Squirtle coming out? They couldn't have made done any of this to lengthen the song, because they took away as much footage as they added.

Aren't dubbers funny people?

Sound Edit
    In the Japanese version, we don't hear Pikachu at all when it releases its attack at the end of the song.

Dialogue Edit
    In one of the funniest lines in all of Pocket Monsters, the pirate trainer says, in English, "Oh my God!" But the G-word isn't allowed in the dub, so it's changed to "Oh no!" Yeah, it's extremely minor, but I guess I'm just in that kind of mood right now.

Music Edit--but it's a good one!
    The whole "Dragonite Theme" is very similar to the Japanese version. Kairyuu had its own musical theme in the original, and Dragonite has its own musical theme in the dub. In addition, just like in the Japanese version, the theme is cut short when Team Rocket stops it with their frying pan. So 4Kids recreated that part of the Japanese version for the dub.

Dialogue Edit
    In the Japanese version, no one in the Pokemon Center says a word until Satoshi-tachi enters. But people sure are talking up a storm (get it...talking up a storm?) in the dub. Actually, it's probably more realistic to think that there would be a commotion before Ash and everyone else arrives, so I actually like what the dub did here.

Didja see that, 4Kids? I recognized that you made an improvement to the original film! See, I'm not so negative all the time...

Dialogue Edit
    The dubbed Boija makes up some legend about "the water of their tears" reviving people back to life, yadda yadda yadda. There is no such "legend" in the original, just talk about how Boija has lived on the pier all her life and that the storm is the most fierce one she's ever seen. The "legend" was added most likely to explain the crying scene at the end of the movie.

Sound Effect Edit
    4Kids took away the noise of the oars hitting Team Rocket's boat. Originally, throughout the whole boat scene, you hear this "tunk...tunk...tunk..." noise, but you don't hear that noise at all in the dubbed version.

Bad Dialogue
    This one was just uncalled for:

Brock: "I didn't know Vikings still existed."
    Ash: "They mostly live in Minnesota."

Ha ha ha...American sports reference...ha ha ha...you sure are funny, 4Kids.

Sound Effect Edit
    When Mew's flying around, 4Kids added this funky sound effect every time it swoops around. But it's only at this point of the movie, so I wonder what changed their mind.

Pokemon Mis-identification: #01
    Now this is just lazy editing:

Corey: "Hurricane winds are a breeze for Pidgeotto here."

Even if you ignore the horrible pun, there's no excuse for that line. 4Kids, of all people, should know that the pokemon he's talking about is a Pidgeot, not a Pidgeotto.

Voice Edit
    The part when the cloning computer comes on and tells Musashi-tachi about the lab exploding and all that is a bit different in the Japanese version. First of all, Fuji-Hakase is narrating the whole time--it doesn't switch from some random femme-bot to Dr. Fuji the way it does in the dub. Also, the dub cleans the audio up considerably--in the Japanese version, the voice sounds distorted and staticy, as if the audio recorder was malfunctioning (and if you think about it, it makes sense--the lab's being destroyed. Of course the voice recorder won't be working at 100%). The dub's computer sounds like it was just recorded the day before in a sound booth.

Tape Edit
    This really doesn't have anything to do with a change in the actual movie, but more of a change that occurred when the movie went to video. The Japanese video is presented in widescreen format, while the dub video is presented full frame (much to my dismay). Which means they go in and adjust the video to fit on a TV screen by cutting off the edges or cropping the image to get it to fit on the screen. A lot of people, myself included, don't like full frame presentations because you're only getting part of the picture.

Well, here's a change made because the movie's not in widescreen format. First, Misty says "Can't Charizard move any faster!?" during Charizard's fight with the Charizard clone. At this point, Brock can't be seen because the left side had to be chopped off to fit the movie on a TV screen. Well, Brock has the next line, and the people in charge of transferring the movie from film to VHS decided that they didn't want Brock to talk off-camera. So, while Brock says "The clone is too fast!", the camera shifts from being focused on the right side of the screen where Brock can't be seen to being focused on the left side of the screen, where he can be seen. This doesn't happen in the Japanese VHS because it's presented in letterbox format and the whole scene fits on the TV screen all at once.

If they wanted it to be full frame, why didn't Warner Brothers just present the movie in pan-and-scan (where the movie is cropped but the video "pans" whenever necessary to reveal any important information)? That way, all they would have had to do was "pan" the scene instead of having it shift so suddenly. It would have looked a lot more professional, I can tell you that.

Pokemon Mis-identification: #02
    Twice in one movie!? Wow, 4Kids is really on the ball with this one! This time, Team Rocket mis-identifies Scyther as Alakazam. Needless to say, this mistake doesn't occur in the Japanese version.

Pokemon Mis-identification: #03
    This happens shortly after the second mis-identification--when a Sandslash comes out of the cloning tube thing, Meowth calls it a Sandshrew. Thanks to Kenneth-san for pointing this out to me.

Dialogue Edit
    More of that "dumbing down Myuutwo" thing going on. This occurs when Myuutwo sees the explosion from its cloning machine.

Myuutwo: "What's happened here?"
    Mewtwo: "Behold. With pokemon and humans eliminated, the clones shall inherit the world."

4Kids had to drive home that whole "I just want to take over Earth" thing they had going on for Mewtwo. Apparently, 4Kids' reason for dumbing the villain down so much was to have a more clear-cut villain, instead of the vengeful "I can kinda see where you're coming from" character present in the Japanese version.

Dialogue Edit
    They looooove explaining every minute plot detail to the stupid kiddies out there:

Mewtwo: "I will block all the pokemon's special abilities using my psychic powers. Now we shall see who triumphs."

Myuutwo never says that it's the one who's blocked all the pokemon's special abilities in the original--it's pretty much assumed. The Japanese audience doesn't need every little detail spelled out for them the way 4Kids thinks we do.

Music Edit
    The most awful, evil, vile, horrific, (insert additional insulting adjective here) song EVER to come out of the dub is played during the fight scene: Brother My Brother. First of all, it's not a great song to begin with. But to play that song during the movie's CLIMAX!? When there was only INSTRUMENTAL music in the Japanese original!? And then they play the song very softly in the background, so softly that it might as well not even be there. I mean really, what's the point of adding a vocal song when you can't hear half the words the singer's saying? To sell more soundtracks? Must be, because they need ALL the help they can get selling that pile of...*Ahem*

Dialogue Edit
    There's this whole "anti-fighting" message going on in the dub which many movie critics jumped on as "hypocritical" and "unneeded." And they're right--these people are pokemon trainers, people who make their pokemon battle one another on an almost daily basis. That's like having a Jewish vegetarian going to a BBQ and eating all the pork chops in sight.

The whole message was added by the dubbers to make the movie more preachy. Good job, you've succeeded in making the film a mere shadow of itself. You should be proud.

Dialogue Edit
    This time, we get a really bad line from Misty:

Brock: "I don't think they'll ever stop. Those pokemon look like they're ready to fight to the death."
    Misty: "That's a fight...that nobody's going to win."

Thank you Misty for that public service announcement. Join us next time when Misty preaches the dangers of doing drugs and having pre-marital sex!!

The whole conversation in the Japanese version was talking about how when one animal invades the territory of another animal, it doesn't give up until it's driven the trespasser away. And then everyone expresses fear that the pokemon will never give up, resulting in their deaths. Yet for some reason, all that had to be rewritten.

Dialogue Edit
    Lots of people seem to bring this one up, so I will too. When Satoshi is "dead," Pikachu repeatedly tries shocking him back to life. Kasumi says "Pikachu..." while Misty says "Please no." Lots of people like the dubbed line better and see it as "an improvement." I really don't see why everyone brings THIS particular change up, because it's really minor, especially considering the other changes made throughout the movie...

Dialogue Edit
    This one's rather nitpicky (me, nitpicky!?), but we don't hear the pokemon in the Japanese version as they're carried away by Myuutwo. In the dub, we do.

A Good Point 2!
    They kept the kanji on the Exit sign outside the pier! Yay! Keep it up! Of course, since it's an international pier, having signs written in a bunch of different languages isn't too far-fetched.

Music Edit
    And the ending theme's different, but what'd you expect? 4Kids decided to go with the "have the entire soundtrack go by in two minutes" deal rather than sticking with one song for the end. The Japanese version used [URL="https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/lyrics/pocket_monsters/kaze_toisshoni.html[/URL]Kaze to Issho ni[/URL]. It's really pretty, it isn't super-poppy, and it fits the theme of the movie rather well.

Final Thoughts
    Most of our guests today haven't shown that level of commitment, and until they do, what we see here aren't relationships, but rather long dates...oh wait, not THAT kind of "Final Thought." Um...what more can I say? This movie fared the worst of all the movies. Luckily, 4Kids gets better with time, but at this point it's pretty bad. All I can say is that I'm if the TV series was half as bad as the dub for this movie, I'd go crazy.

Also, it was Nurse Joy who said that, not Misty or Brock. Even then, she also said "Not like this", as the so-called pokemon match is resulting in both the clones and the originals fighting and ending up not being able to carry on, or survive. Something that a real pokemon match doesn't have.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    Well, I have to say the themesong at the beggining and the "Brother oh Brother" song during the fight between the original and the clones, Ash getting turned into stone was good too.

Northy

Music Obsessed Straightedger
    Years
    Mew vs mewtwo stick out on my mind, so does when mewtwo catches all the pokemon in flying pokeballs...

i haven't seen it in years... so its hard to say.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    Wow, I remember going to see that movie! I was in New Zealand at the time :P

Anyway, I just recently watched it for the first time since I saw it in the cinemas, I really did enjoy it. Well my favourite part of the movie would have to be..hmm.. The part where all the Pokémon are fighting and everybody talks about how cruel and horrible they have been. Truly an epic moment in Pokémon history!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh dear gods... I remember seeing this movie four times when it was out in theaters. XD;

Erm, of course the Pikachu short was the greatest part of it all. No humans. Just the Pokemon having fun. I love that little short.

As for the actual movie, the little ten-second part where Mew rides the windmill blades. It's just cute.

And when I was younger, I particularly enjoyed all the battles that were basic tooth-and-nail battles. I wanted blood. XD

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Ash getting blasted. That's just awesome. And it's better when Pikachu tries to start Ash's heart with electricity.

Years
    I pretty much like the whole movie but my favorite part is the battle with the three raised starters with mewtwo's starters

I loved all the movie, but my favourite part was when Ash wanted to stop Mew and Mewtwo, and he was turned to stone, When the pokemon thought he was dead, they started crying and their tiers resurrected him. My other favourite oart was when mewtwo left the arena with all of his cloned pokemon.

Years
    The Team Rocket organization scenes in the beginning would be my favorite in the movie. The premise of Mewtwo of being a Team Rocket bio-weapon came off as totally feasible, particularly because I never liked the original game's data. Some scientists decided randomly to make a Genetic super-Pokemon? Please. Now, Team Rocket attempting it? You bet.

I also have to put a special nod to Mewtwo's destruction of the lab. Granted, it's a cliche, but, for this kid-friendly series, it was a major step up in the serious ness department (including murder). Of course, it wouldn't last, but the potential shocked me back in 99.

I would speak on the companion CD drama, but some of that did make it into the movie, anyway (half of the lab part and some of the Giovanni training part). So, that's another argument for another day.

Edit: Yes, I quite enjoyed Mew's scenes, too. I'm not hardhearted, don'tcha know.

Years
    My faveourite scene has to be Mewtwo descending into the great hall in that eeriee blue light. Simple but effective.

Oh, and Team Rocket dressed up as Vikings. Those accents they put on were awesome :cer_giggle: .

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    I never got that. Someone told me what it was supposed to mean a few months ago but I've forgotten it again. Something about American football.

It's a reference to the Minnesota Vikings; a professional American football team based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I still don't know why they mentioned the Minnesota Vikings, but everyone who liked football at my house just laughed and laughed and laughed....

I really enjoyed Mew's and Mewtwo's battle with one another, and also the part when Ash tried to stop the fighting but turned to stone for his action.

It was one of those heartfelt moments when all the Pokémons cried to save him.

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
    Years
    My favorite part hands down was the final battle between Mew and Mewtwo

Yeah I have no clue why they did that but isnt the Minnesota Vikings a football team?

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    Amazing movie. Back then, the movies actually meant something, unlike now a days...

Anyways, a few scenes that really popped out at me was the Brother song. It just showed that even though they were all born differently, they are the same, hence being soul-brothers. It was all about not fighting and finding peace, not to mention the way it was displayed, as well as the dramatic ending of the battle... so dramatic and sad.

Best part that has always stuck with me all of these years is when Mewtwo stops fighting and says to Mew, "I see now the circumstances of one's birth that are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift if life that determines who you are."

That always stuck with me!!

Back