• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon theory on TM Pokedex, and Pokeballs

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    My theory the reason pokemon can learn from tm and hm is because there pokedex can install a program into the pokeball so the pokemon can learn it.

Pokeball turn a pokemon into digital data so go into vitural world that can vist other pokemon if you play pokemon x & y you find out the Pokemon amie 2d spirte is actally inside a pokeball. and pokemon can visit each other if your friend with them

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    TMs and HMs come in the form of CDs. These CDs contain tutorials on certain moves, which your Pokémon can learn by simply watching (if they're compatible, of course!). In the games, I like to believe that the characters carry around some sort of a media playing device, which they use to play these kind of CDs. (: But when it comes to anime though, TMs and HMs are never used. In the anime, if you ever wanted your Pokémon to learn an attack, you'd have to do it yourself and show them how it's actually done. In an episode of Pokémon Advanced Challenge, Ash wanted his Treecko to learn how to use "Bullet Seed." That's why, he got himself some watermelon seeds, put them into his mouth, and started shooting them right in front of it. By watching Ash doing it, Treecko wanted to give the move a try, too. It couldn't get it done correctly the first time, but eventually, it was able to. d:

Last edited:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • My theory the reason pokemon can learn from tm and hm is because there pokedex can install a program into the pokeball so the pokemon can learn it.

So Pokemon is secretly Digimon eh?

All jokes aside, I can't see why this thread hasn't gotten more love! It's a pretty good basis for discussion!

I didn't even realise until D/P/Pt that TMs and HMs were even CDs. I thought they were genuine machines with chugging and whirring bits that somehow (IDK how) taught the Pokemon the move they were to learn.

It's like breeding, it's never fully explained how it happens, it just does :P

Going onto the idea that they're like little DVDs you fire up and let your Pokemon watch, why were they never reusable until Gen V? I like to think it's converted to data and then beamed into your Pokemon's head and then they know it. Kinda like the Matrix without chairs.

Years
  • I like to think you just jam the CD into the back of the Pokemon's skull...or all Pokemon double as DVD players

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2014
    Hmm probably the pokedex screen plays the TMs showing the training and the pokemon simply learns from watchign that and practice (time we dont get to see in the games cause honestly who has time to lose with training new moves)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    The FRLG games had a weird way of utilizing the TM/HMs, they actually jammed the disk on the Pokémon's head and then it disappeared... weird, much? All this aside I must say it's one of the more intriguing aspects of Pokémon. I feel the player carries a media player around as well, but the disk was not effective before and required formatting and discarding once played and that was covered with real CDs in BW. In the Pokémon Adventures manga Red's shown to hunt for some HMs, but they never (in my memory) actually go around showing how they're used. Eating the disk is also a weird but plausible thing, and another possibility could be that the TM data is transferred through the Pokéball, but that's really creepy. I wish the whole TM concept went and they made real 'tutor spots' like Ash went to certain areas to learn certain moves. That's a better concept in general, but less practical application is involved so I guess I'm fine with TM and HMs.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I like the way they do it in the anime much better. Ash made Pikachu learn Iron Tail, Buizel learn Ice Punch and Treecko learn Bullet Seed by training them, tutoring them. I have to say TMs and HMs are just a game mechanic that is difficult to translate into a more realistic medium, like the concept of levels can also be. In the anime, I think they only mentioned levels once (in the very first season at a trainer's school) but the PokéSpe manga has always used them.

If we are to think up some kind of believable way to make HMs and TMs a real thing though, I wouldn't want them to be some kind of DVD disc that the pokémon had to watch. If that was so, there would be piracy for HMs and they wouldn't be so difficult to get and stuff, haha. I kind of like the idea that it's taught through the pokéball somehow, because then only trained pokémon could learn HMs/TMs since wild pokémon don't have pokéballs. And that makes sense imo.

Pokeball turn a pokemon into digital data so go into vitural world that can vist other pokemon if you play pokemon x & y you find out the Pokemon amie 2d spirte is actally inside a pokeball. and pokemon can visit each other if your friend with them
    Like that! Since I generally go by the pokéball theory that pokémon turn into energy of some sort inside the pokéball, and X/Y might strengthen this but I don't know since I haven't played those games, I don't think it would be strange if a TM could interact with a pokéball somehow and implement the energy of the move somehow into the pokémon's energy. Isn't this kind of what happens when pokémon are traded (inside their pokéballs) together with items and evolve? :3

Sparkywalkthroughs

join the adventure
    Years
  • Yes a very intresting theory. i never really thorught about the theory of TM's. the only thing i thought of is how DARN annoying it is that you can't delete HM moves! Explain that Theory game!
    lol..

Back