• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Trading Card Game - Run-through

Azzurra

Banned
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    This is just a quick run-through on how to start playing the game, not how to become the "best" there is or anything. It's fan-made too.

Now to start off, let's talk about composing your deck.
    1) Every single deck has exactly 60 cards, no more or no less.
    2) You should remember to have at least two or three different types when making your deck, not just a one type deck. You'd end up losing all the time if that was the case.
    3) You should really only have about 25 actual Pokemon cards in your deck, the rest are trainer/stat cards. 15 of your cards should be energy cards, 8-10 should be trainer cards, and 2-5 should be revives/super potions or whatever else you feel is necessary.
    4) You need to remember that types still matter here, so you can't go ahead and use fire types against water types without getting double the damage back at you. You need to think gaming when playing the TGC.

I know it's short, but I hope it helps (even in the slightest) to you young deck makers out there.

Shiun Enshidia

The Demon Nicknamer
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2020
    I think your idea is a little old fashioned.
    Most people would say that you need far more trainers, stadiums and supporters. Also, 25 pokemon is a little excessive, people sometimes use only 15 or so. Energies are about right, although I use more.
    Also, the double the damage thing is outdated, its only 10, 20 or 30, sometimes 40 and occasionally double (although far more with SP Pokemon) the damage with weakness.

However, thats a very good basis for newcommers, this is more of a slightly more advanced method of things.

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • I usually have 25 pokemon, 20-25 energy and 10-15 trainers/supporters. But, some of my pokemon are energies, like holon's voltorb.

Lightey

The Night Owl
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2016
    I think

16 Basic Pokemon
    4 Stage 1
    2 Stage 2
    28 Energy
    10 Trainer

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • I usually limit it to 3 evolution chains (at max) with a few standalone basics. Then, cap at 15 Energy per type depending on how demanding they are for discarding and then fill the rest with Trainer Cards.

Back