• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon (undecided name)

Yukiko_xx

derp.
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2011
    Hi, just made an account here because I want to learn to ROM hack...I have an idea for a game, but don't really know how to make it. Also my programs don't work? (like AdvanceMap and AdvanceText etc...)

Storyline of the game:

Three friends are starting a pokemon journey, and they go to Professor Stone's lab to get their starters. The player picks first, and then Friend 1 will pick the player's pokemon's strong point (if the player attacks the other pokemon, it will say, super effective) and Friend 2 will get the remaining Pokemon. Player and Friend 1 will have a battle, and Player will (hopefully) win. Then Friend 2 challenges Friend 1 to a battle, and (hopefully) loses. Annoyed, Friend 2 decides to become Player and Friend 1's Rival, and heads off for the next city. Meanwhile, Professor Stone heals all the pokemon, and tells them that along Route 1 (or whatever route they first head off to) there will be a tunnel called Mew's Tunnel, where there will be a Mew that gives them their Pokedexes. Player and Friend 1 head off, and after getting the Pokedexes, Friend finds a grass type pokemon, and catches it. Player will find a fire type, and (hopefully) will decide to catch it. Then they arrive at the first gym in Rockslide City. Friend battles the gym leader with his/her grass type, but lost. Then Player will battle and (hopefully) wins. After training a bit, Friend will also defeat the gym leader, and as they leave they run into Rival, who challenges them to a battle, but (hopefully) loses. Shocked, he/she runs off, saying that next time he/she will win for sure. After that, Player and Friend head off for their next adventure.

I think I can manage most of the stuff, like mapping and spriting. What i need help with is

Title screen (I already made one, how do you put it on?)
    How to make the partner follow you around?
    And since my computer's stuffed, I have to use AdvanceMap at the library, but now it's like I have two seperate files, one with the sprites (on my computer) and one with mapping (at library).
    And also, since the player has a permanent partner, how do you make all the battles double?
    How to make custom pokemon

PS: Maybe the story is just a bit complicated. I got this idea from a roleplay a while ago....

PPS: i want to create my own custom pokemon. and BTW Friend will be following Player around for the whole game, he/she is like a partner for the entire thing.

aww...can someone please post?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    why do u need advancemap at a library? how big is amap, like 1 and a half megs?

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • It's probably best not to reaveal the whole start of your game... Maybe just the first few sentences of what you've got should be good enough, oytherwise it'll end up looking like an old movie where instead of watching you can just read the blurb.

Also, try and get a bit done before posting i.e. have screenshots. I know this isn't the Showcase but really, ideas aren't that hard to come up with, especially when they are very generic.

By the way, is Mew like a professor, or is he just a random Pokemon carrying Pokedexs around?

Cronos

Im Back ;)
    Years
  • Hi, just made an account here because I want to learn to ROM hack...I have an idea for a game, but don't really know how to make it. Also my programs don't work? (like AdvanceMap and AdvanceText etc...)

Storyline of the game:

Three friends are starting a pokemon journey, and they go to Professor Stone's lab to get their starters. The player picks first, and then Friend 1 will pick the player's pokemon's strong point (if the player attacks the other pokemon, it will say, super effective) and Friend 2 will get the remaining Pokemon. Player and Friend 1 will have a battle, and Player will (hopefully) win. Then Friend 2 challenges Friend 1 to a battle, and (hopefully) loses. Annoyed, Friend 2 decides to become Player and Friend 1's Rival, and heads off for the next city. Meanwhile, Professor Stone heals all the pokemon, and tells them that along Route 1 (or whatever route they first head off to) there will be a tunnel called Mew's Tunnel, where there will be a Mew that gives them their Pokedexes. Player and Friend 1 head off, and after getting the Pokedexes, Friend finds a grass type pokemon, and catches it. Player will find a fire type, and (hopefully) will decide to catch it. Then they arrive at the first gym in Rockslide City. Friend battles the gym leader with his/her grass type, but lost. Then Player will battle and (hopefully) wins. After training a bit, Friend will also defeat the gym leader, and as they leave they run into Rival, who challenges them to a battle, but (hopefully) loses. Shocked, he/she runs off, saying that next time he/she will win for sure. After that, Player and Friend head off for their next adventure.

I think I can manage most of the stuff, like mapping and spriting. What i need help with is

Title screen (I already made one, how do you put it on?)
    How to make the partner follow you around?
    And since my computer's stuffed, I have to use AdvanceMap at the library, but now it's like I have two seperate files, one with the sprites (on my computer) and one with mapping (at library).
    And also, since the player has a permanent partner, how do you make all the battles double?
    How to make custom pokemon

PS: Maybe the story is just a bit complicated. I got this idea from a roleplay a while ago....

PPS: i want to create my own custom pokemon. and BTW Friend will be following Player around for the whole game, he/she is like a partner for the entire thing.
    Given Out Too Much Info Dude

aww...can someone please post?
    Dont Double Post It's Against The Rules

dragpyre

The Brother's Fight For Hell
    Years
  • ok

Yes ,i agree. There's too much info and its unclear as your paragraphing is obsolete and the storyline is hard to follow and is confusing. I may be a beginner, but i can spot a storyline which might not be too good.

Plus you have eliminated choice in your starters. you have defined it as a grass and a fire type, and you have left room for nothing else. And i don't know why mew would be carrying a pokedex, seeing as it was where all pokemon originated from so why would it need to log them.

Last edited:

allexallex

Hack em or leave em
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    I like the it.I is a good game and i can do alout of text and map change

Yukiko_xx

derp.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2011
    I'm really sorry. i'm only new. i haven't really thought that much about it and i'm only started ROM hacking a while ago. i can map but i cannot script. ==" i'm sorry about the double post, i didn't know. i decided to not have a partner following the player, that would require so much scripting and i said can't script. (=] lol) i do need a bit of help if i'm ever gonna finish this hack.

BTW: advancemap is on my usb, but now i have it all sorted out. =]

Back