• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon USA is trying to kill off Pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MewSkitty

I love everyone!
    Years
    As most of you know, when Pokemon USA bought the dubbing rights to Pokemon, they replaced the Voice Actors and writers to the show. This has caused a big uproar in the Pokemon community. SOVA, a group of Pokemon dedicated to getting the old VAs back, has been trying it's best. We were fighting in a positive and orderly manner, but now Pokemon USA decided to fight dirty and they've crossed the line by trying to do the following:

As you know, when 4KIds had the copyright to the Pokemon show and movies, they willingly allowed people to make custom clips out of parts of the show and movies. People did this for many years without any trouble. Well, Pokemon USA is trying to prevent people from doing this. They are trying to remove all Pokemon related content from youtube.com and make it illegal to make a Pokemon AMV. (Animated Music Video) If they suceed at doing this, they will be killing a major part of the Pokemon community, and I reckon they will do even more damage in the future! Pokemon fans must unite and stop these people before they destroy the only thing that keeps them making money. Myself, there is little I can do as one person. It takes a team of people to make a big company like Pokemon USA see the error of their ways.

On a last note, I do know a lot of you people go to SPPf, so this rumor will spread, so I'll clear it up right here and now. Last night I made a thread about this at SPPf. Well Edward Elric, an Smod on that forum, hates me for his personal reasons. He has been watching me for years waiting for me to post something so he can ban me. Well, my thread seemed to give him reason, and he gave me a 2 week ban from SPPf. I am not mad at him, for he dose not see the damage he is causing to the Pokemon world by doing this. And, when I return in 2 weeks, I can have SOVA help me work things out, if it's not too late. So, this forum is the only other Pokemon forum with enough power and members to make a difference. It is up to you to save Pokemon. Don't let them down!

P.S. If you disagre with me on this, please say and do so in an orderly manner, we don't want fights to break out between Pokemon fans, that's the last thing we need during these dire times.

Years
    Moving this to the Pokemon anime forum, since it deals with the anime more than anything else. If anyone else feels it should be moved elsewhere, or closed, then feel free to do so. x.x

Also, please keep matters that have nothing to do with PC off of this forum.

With that said...

To be honest, I see nothing "dirty" about this. PUSA is the one with the rights to the show, thus they're legally the only ones that are allowed to determine what can be done with it. Perhaps it's not the best move they could've made, but... *shrug*

Then again, I don't watch the show much...but I do understand them wanting to protect their interest.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    So, the those with the rights to Family Guy are killing the show because they don't want Youtube users to post clips of the show. Poor Family Guy... (That was all meant as a joke. Hard to tell on the Internet...)

PUSA have the rights to Pokémon. They can dictate what can be done with the American side of the franchise. If they don't want Youtube members to post clips, or even whole episodes, then that is fine by me. I mean, PUSA is just looking to get the most money out of the deal.

What I don't get is why they are removing AMVs and the Japanese clips. I had the Japanese openings from Youtube, and now I can't watch them due to "use violation". If one can explain why PUSA is controling media of the Japanese, then please, go right ahead.

On the point raised in my second paragraph, I can agree with PUSA. On the points in the third paragraph, I don't agree. PUSA is for the USA side of Pokémon.

But I fail to see how a team of people can stop a corporation such as PUSA. Okay, I can see why SOVA didn't work, as that was a business deal. But with this, who knows?

MewSkitty

I love everyone!
    Years
    Here's what I think is going on with PUSA:

They are trying to contol EVERYTHING Pokemon, and at all costs. They do not see that in doing so, they will be killing off Pokemon from the internet, which is the #1 source of Pokemon. Once Pokemon is off the internet, they will quickly lose power on the games and anime. I ask thee not to destroy PUSA, but show them that what they're doing will harm Pokemon. We must do this in a calm and peacful manner.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    I'll keep it short. (I'm still amazed my old name still works here.)

I told you that your logic is ridiculous because it is. PUSA isn't trying to "kill Pokemon." They're doing something called PROTECTING THEIR PROPERTY. Fans are not allowed the rights to record and place episodes online. Fans are not allowed to rip episodes off of DVDs, even if it is for the us of AMVs. You're still using THEIR product against copyright laws.

YouTube also has rules that state you may post videos ONLY if you hold the rights to them. Because Pokemon was not made by you, you're not allowed to have anything related to the anime that wasn't released in a public video format by them (i.e NOT DVD) up on YT.

Years
    as mewskitty told us they are deleting all stuff form every site that can lay their hands on
    they actually deleted my arabic dub intro form advanced it isn't fair since it's in another language

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    I heard the problem with uploading copyrighted videos originated in Japan anyway. The Japanese were posting videos of concerts or whatnot onto Youtube.

And what's wrong with that? PUSA's not killing off Pokemon if they're still airing it. =P Not saying anything more, everyone else said something already.

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    If they are doing this, I don't see any evidence of it. Just typing in "Pokemon episode" on YouTube brings up three-part versions of various episodes.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    as mewskitty told us they are deleting all stuff form every site that can lay their hands on
    they actually deleted my arabic dub intro form advanced it isn't fair since it's in another language
    It's still a Pokemon video that was likely uploaded from an outside source. Regardless of which country it came from, it still breaks YouTube's rules to not uploading anything of copyright content that doesn't belong to you.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    C. In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not: (i) submit material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein;
    There you go. In Youtube's Terms of Use, they say that no user can upload any video of material that does not belong to them. So, in short, you don't own it, you don't use it.

If you want to post the Pokémon things, then you should write to PUSA to get permission to post any sort of clips.

And yeah, the franchise isn't dieing, seeing as how you can still buy the videos and see the show on television.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    They are not killing off Pokemon 4Kids does the same thing to certain animes too bu they aren't so stric like they were before. They did the same thing to Mew Mew Power and Tokyo Mew Mew too for a while and PUSA is just doing the same thing too.They have the right to do that and there is nothing we can do. Just wait a bit and this thing will past.

Still Pokemon is Pokemon in Japan and US so they can do it. For all we know PUSA already has the rights to air Diamond and Pearl so they can take the video of those episodes if they wanted too.

Still come on. Like they want to kill off Pokemon. It is their product and they will not do such a thing that will lose them money. They just want to make sure they can get the most of it and with YouTube showing a free airing of the show isn't helping. Just buy the DVDs if you want to see Pokemon so bad or record them on your VCR/DVR.

Typhoon XV

Servant of Khaine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2014
    Here's an idea: don't cave into them. Make a stand or something and tell them to bog off.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2008
    legal or not NOTHING is going to stop me from watching Pokemon in japanse on the internet until those duch bags start making it an option to watch the show in it's orginal untouched format on the dvds.

Get with the times and release bilingual dvds like 99% of other anime already PUSA. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

They don't give us the option to watch it the way it was intented to be and we'll find other meens no matter how much they blister and sputter.

Syaoran-Kun

Wave Master
    Years
    Ugh, first of all, it's friggin illegal IN THE FIRST PLACE to watch full, episodes streamed online. PUSA owns the license to ALL Japanese episodes in the Battle Frontier saga, they bought the license and then they dub it. How do you think they dub episodes in the first place? THEY BUY THE RIGHTS TO THE JAPANESE EPISODES AND THEN THEY DUB IT. PUSA has the right to do remove the content in which they paid for.

And it's not PUSA that's requesting the Pokemon openings, or fan created videos (such as AMVs) to be removed. You do know that Shogakukan, the Japanese producer of the anime, is requesting full episodes and clips to removed as well? And going to greater lengths than PUSA (who ONLY requests full episodes to be removed) to remove ANY Pokemon content they find? STOP BLAMING PUSA. It's against YouTube's terms of use to upload any content you don't own, anyhow. Think before you spread utter bull.

And if you're going to be cheap (as in not buying HIGH QUALITY DVDs that are available to you) about a franchise you supposedly enjoy and illegally watch episodes online, AT LEAST have the intelligence to NOT watch crappy compressed-quality episodes on YouTube (not only that, but constantly linking to it ON POPULAR POKEMON SITES, such as SPPf) and get episodes with higher quality SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are other, GOOD (but, yet again, (excuse my language) cheapa**) means to get Pokemon episodes. If you're going to be cheap, at least be smart about it. :>

God, if ANYTHING'S going to kill off Pokemon, it's you cheap "fans" that don't support a franchise that you supposedly enjoy, jacking episodes from a series whose creators worked so hard to bring to us off the internet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I'm just going to say one thing right now in this highly amusing thread.

They do not see that in doing so, they will be killing off Pokemon from the internet, which is the #1 source of Pokemon. Once Pokemon is off the internet, they will quickly lose power on the games and anime.
    No they won't, no we aren't and again, no it won't. SoaP proved that while the internet is a good way to get momentum on something going, it's not nearly anything in the real world. If Pokemon's gone from the internet, you know who that will effect? The older fans. Do you know what the target audience of Pokemon is? The younger fans who probably don't even know what anime is. While internet communities do provide insightful opinions that PUSA sometimes takes into account, in the end we probably don't even make up half of the fanbase.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    This isn't PUSA's fault, SHOGAKUKAN PRODUCTION CO., LTD requested the videos to be removed because it totally infringe their copyright and also the controversal DMCA..

Episodes should totally not be on Youtube, since it's totally illegal and also totally immoral to do so. If you like totally miss an episode, please record it using TiVo or even a VCR/DVD Recorder or even ask a friend if you don't have cable.

Or buy the actual DVDs (and they will be totally high quality)

This is like totally so not killing Pokemon.... and I totally doubt it will. ^^;

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    This isn't PUSA's fault, SHOGAKUKAN PRODUCTION CO., LTD requested the videos to be removed because it totally infringe their copyright and also the controversal DMCA..

Episodes should totally not be on Youtube, since it's totally illegal and also totally immoral to do so. If you like totally miss an episode, please record it using TiVo or even a VCR/DVD Recorder or even ask a friend if you don't have cable.

Or buy the actual DVDs (and they will be totally high quality)

This is like totally so not killing Pokemon.... and I totally doubt it will. ^^;

No TiVo, forget to set your VCR, no friends to record it, and no money to buy the (taking-too-long-to-come-out) DVDs...now what?

See, not everything is black-and-white. Some people NEED to go online to watch Pokemon now (thankfully I'm not one at the moment, but that could change). Others forget and need a relatively-reliable backup.

As for this thread...it seems to me that MewSkitty is just trying to spread propaganda (that, as Syaoran-kun and others have pointed out, is nonetheless FALSE), so I vote for a closure of this thread.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    I'm affraid Syaoran-Kun and Elite Trainer Raven are right on this matter. Those episodes on YouTube are copyrighted material so it's violating YouTube rules. The risk that it was going to be removed was always there.

Watching episodes online hasn't become more illegal or less illegal than that it already was. It's just that PUSA/Shogakukan now demanding that those episodes are to be taken down and they are entitled to do so.

It's understandable that this course of action will tick off some people and cause them to dislike/hate PUSA/Shogakukan. Similar with 4Kids/Nintendo when UPNetwork was forced to remove all the Pokémon video clips 5-6 year back. But to say that "PUSA is trying to kill off Pokémon" is perhaps a bit... exagurated.

Personally, I think they should at least allow video clips who are only a few minutes, like AMV's or scenes people want others to see (like the DP opening/ending). I like making an AMV once in a while.

So in short, here is where I stand on this matter:
    They have the right to do so. Though I hardly use YouTube I can imagine that the ones who are relying on YouTube will get angry at PUSA/Shogakukan. Taking down even the small clips is over the top imo. I don't like PUSA/Shogakukan decision, but I like to point out that being able to watch Pokémon (illegally) on the web is a privilege not a right. (not my intention to sound harsh)

As for this thread... I think it's great material for a good discussion as long as it doesn't go overboard. I'll leave this open for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back