• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon version of Duelingnetwork.com

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Hey sooo I'm looking to get into the pokemon tcg but i dont want to spend the money right away i want to try it out 1st. Yugioh has a site called duelingnetwork.com where you can play the game for free with all the most recent cards .. is there anything like that for the pokemon card game i havent found anything that's completly free and that you dont have to pay to have cards

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Hey sooo I'm looking to get into the pokemon tcg but i dont want to spend the money right away i want to try it out 1st. Yugioh has a site called duelingnetwork.com where you can play the game for free with all the most recent cards .. is there anything like that for the pokemon card game i havent found anything that's completly free and that you dont have to pay to have cards

Pokemon Trading Card Game Online? pokemon.com?

Years
    www.playtcg.me

Requires building decklists on Bebesearch.com, but that's the closest you're going to find. And you also need to know the rules in advance before using it, as it doesn't automatically handle the rules processing for you.

Also, you don't have to pay to play with cards in the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. You just can't trade any of the cards you get for free through the game.

Years
    I just discovered tcgone.net, and it looks pretty decent. The gameplay is automated, and you have the choice of "quickplay" matches (you can create your own deck - or use decks others have created - using any cards you want. They appear to have all the cards (with the exception of a few that were just too difficult to program) from the original base set up to Legendary Treasures released in Nov 2013, so they're only missing XY and Flashfire, which were just released in Feb and May of this year) and/or "career" matches (you start with one pre-made deck, and battle other players to earn currency to buy new cards or booster packs. It's only using the older sets right now, but they have plans to gradually add all of them). You can also play against yourself if you want to just try out decks or get a feel for how it works by creating two accounts and logging in on two different browsers, and you can watch other matches. The gameplay is a bit glitchy, but considering it's free and fully automated, it's not bad.

However, if you're brand new to the game, I do highly suggest heading over to the official online trading game (pokemontcg.com), as they have really good tutorials and a much better interface (though it is a bit of a RAM/processor hog. Make sure you turn off all animations and effects if you've got an older computer, it helps immensely), and you can play totally for free, it will just take longer to build up your collection. I would recommend saving tcgone until you've got a good handle on how to play the game, and then use it to experiment to your heart's content with the vast number of cards available.

The other alternative is the pokemon TCG gameboy game, which you can download as a ROM. It's actually pretty fun, and a really good introduction to the game and to deck building because it doesn't take long to put together a decent collection of cards and it doesn't have an overwhelming number of cards to choose from (although it's good to note that a lot of strategies you'll use for this game aren't really effective once you start playing with the newer cards because of changes like stadium cards and pokemon-EX's, but it's still good for building a solid understanding of the basic gameplay). It can get boring after a while though, because your opponents don't really pose much of a challenge once you've built a good deck and learned how to make your cards work together. It's definitely a lot more fun playing against a real person using actual strategy rather than and "AI" making more or less random decisions. (the "AI" you have the option of playing against in the TCG Online is also much better, and has actually kicked my tail several times, which rarely happens with the TCG rom now)

Last edited:
    Back