• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon World Garbage Disposal

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
Years
  • So, I'm sure many of you who have been playing X & Y have probably come across the Garbage Man.

In my many years of Pokemon-ing, the one thing that I always asked myself is, "how the heck are all the garbage cans empty?"

I remember in the R/B/Y and G/S/C there was at least one garbage can (pretty sure it was on S.S. Anne) where an item could be found. Even to see "it's filled with trash, ya dingus" would have made some sense. Alas, the people who live in the many islands of the Pokemon Kingdom appear to be some sort of fantastical OCD-style neat-freaks.

Well, when playing X/Y, I finally found some answers in a frantic garbage man in one of the buildings in Lumiose (I believe that's where I saw him). It all happened so quickly, I didn't even get to screencap it. He apparently goes all over the Pokemon world, emptying everyone's trash cans.

Sure the riddle has been solved (kinda), but I kinda wish there was some sort of special feature/location in the game where you could meet the garbage man and challenge him to a battle. Now that Trubbish exists, this could be a logical battle and situation (especially if Nintendo introduced a Mega-Garbodor, he could be a worth opponent).

If anyone has a screencap of this mysterious garbage man, please post it or pm me with it!

Did anybody else find it strange that Pokemon was almost always garbage-free?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ya know, I actually haven't run into this Garbage Man. Or at least I don't remember. It's funny that Game Freak gives a sort of explanation for the fact that the garbage cans have been empty for quite a while (and its a minor detail too). I just assumed they stopped putting items in garbage cans to troll those of us who developed a garbage can checking reflex because of all the items in garbage cans in Gens 1 and 2.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Checking the garbage cans even though you know they are empty is an achievement.. basically it's GameFreak confirming that they are trolling us...

Here's the Medal I got on Pokemon GameLink...

A-032-1 - Adventure - Trash Master: A Medal for curiosity seekers who checked trash cans even though they knew they were empty.
    Pokemon World Garbage Disposal

Last edited:

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • I doubt this qualifies as a spoiler, but I broke out my copy of X, which has been far-less completed, and did a little Lumiose City search for the guy.

Turns out he just handles the garbage in Kalos, but at least it offers some resolution to the crazy cleanliness of the Pokemon regions.

Check it:

So there you go. The elusive Pokemon Garbage Collector. I have so many questions for him, but he just runs off.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Mega-Garbador would be awesome. He is actually quite good defensively. That is WHY the Trash-Man collects so much garbage so quickly!!! To make his Mega-Garbador more powerfull!!!

In the hands of the Trash-Man, Mega-Garbador would be unstoppable.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
    Years
  • I've noticed this as well when I was playing through my Pokemon Y version. Back when I was playing my Pokemon Blue and Gold versions(Generations 1 and 2) there would be, like you said, a couple items that you could get: One of them being the held item "leftovers" in generation 2.

Since those times I've developed this insta-check-the-trash-cans habit in every single Pokemon game. And I've noticed that they held less, and less secrets as the games came out until finally the Pokemon Company just straight-up trolls us XD.

I love the Pokemon company, they put their hearts into the Pokemon games all the time, every time. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I'm sure there was a garbage man in Black and White (maybe it was a janitor) who you could battle, and he used Trubbish. I think it was in Castelia City.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • I'm sure there was a garbage man in Black and White (maybe it was a janitor) who you could battle, and he used Trubbish. I think it was in Castelia City.

Pics or it didn't happen! {XD}

I'm actually working on a copy of White atm. I'll keep my eyes peeled and post screencaps if I see this mysterious Unova Garbage Man/Janitorial Engineer.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2014
    Pics or it didn't happen! {XD}

I'm actually working on a copy of White atm. I'll keep my eyes peeled and post screencaps if I see this mysterious Unova Garbage Man/Janitorial Engineer.

yep janitors exist lol -->

check the battle company in castelia :)

one of them gives you an Exp. Share in B&W

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
    Years
  • so of everything strange about pokemon, kids running round with monsters that can level cities absolutely unsupervised, no schooling system, a child being made to take down an entire criminal organisation, onix being able to hide in a tiny rock, you question why bins are empty. XD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    so of everything strange about pokemon, kids running round with monsters that can level cities absolutely unsupervised, no schooling system, a child being made to take down an entire criminal organisation, onix being able to hide in a tiny rock, you question why bins are empty. XD

But those have been brought up before, so might as well do one of the less touched upon ones.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • so of everything strange about pokemon, kids running round with monsters that can level cities absolutely unsupervised, no schooling system, a child being made to take down an entire criminal organisation, onix being able to hide in a tiny rock, you question why bins are empty. XD

lol there are just some things that don't even phase you when playing a game of intense imagination. Then there are garbage cans.

I like how they finally covered the whole "indoor battles with no environmental damage" deal in the beginning of B/W. The whole time I'd been thinking that a lot of these trainers want to battle indoors, in a very small room, how is there no environmental damage being done to these rooms?

The garbage cans thing goes back to the earliest games, so I thought it would be worth the humorous conversation that it might stir up!

Nintendo and GameFreak should really jump on the Mega-Garbador thing. Incorporating secret NPCs with special Pokemon could spark some interesting challenges and new Medals. They already have NPCs that give out items when you beat them, so why not have some specialty characters with some choice rewards?

Pinta77

Anyone remember the garbage cans in the Pokemon Village? You can find Garbador. Maybe that's why they're all empty. Garbador eats the garbage?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyone remember the garbage cans in the Pokemon Village? You can find Garbador. Maybe that's why they're all empty. Garbador eats the garbage?

...Maybe what the garbage man is doing is creating an army of Garbodors with all the garbage he collects (something has to be done with all that crap) so he can take over the world. !!!!

Back