• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X and Y: Disappointing Shinies?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • (Note: If there already is a thread for this, feel free to delete)

So, since Pokemon X and Y came out, we are able to get every single Pokemon out there in these games, and also every single Pokemon in their Shiny glory. I do not hate shiny Pokemon or what-not, I am a shiny hunter, breeder you name it, but I would just like to share opinions on the disappointment on some shiny colours.

But, there are some shinies in my opinion that could have looked way better as a shiny. For example, shiny Garchomp is barely noticable which is a shame I think. Only in it's mega evolution it is noticable (I liked Gible's shiny colours a lot)... Also, it kinda bothers me that a lot of Water-Pokemon are purple when shiny, it gets old (like: oh, here is another shiny Water-Pokemon, guaranteed it's purple then...). I personally do think some colours on specific Pokemon could have been better.

So I was wondering what your opinions on some shiny Pokemon are, which Pokemon do you think looks better as a shiny with what kind of colour pattern? Which shiny Pokemon did you find disappointing? Have you ever encountered a shiny finally and thought while in battle: hm, colours are disappointing but it's still a shiny nonetheless! :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I think Charizard looks brilliant as a shiny but Mewtwo doesn't, its tail is just a different colour

Years
  • AEGISLASH's shiny is Great in my opinion probably my favorite of the new generation. Quite honestly, a lot of the new pokemon's shinies are really cool. My opinion on shinies though is the pokemon should look a lot different, and if the shiny is just a different shade of its own color, it should be noticeable at least to make it look better (Looking at you Garchomp)
    In Gen 6 here is my personal list of shinies I like:
    Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja, Talonflame, Vivillon, Furforu, AEGISlash, Clawitzer, Tyrantrum, Sylveon, Hawlucha, Carbink, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Diancie.

EDIT:
    This may sound bad, but once you make a pokemon have a shiny that is black, it feels like most of the time that pokemon looks cooler, EX: Metagross, Charizard, Haxorous, Greninja, Aegislash.

Last edited:

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • My favorite generation 6 shinies are the ones I've actually bred- Noivern and Diggersby. I also love shiny Chespin/Quilladin (hoping to breed one eventually), shiny Gogoat (who I got through a super lucky chain of 23), and Tyrantrum in blue. I don't like shiny Hawlucha at all, and if we're talking outside of Kalos pokemon, my all-time least favorite is probably Emboar.

Also, I thought it was worth mentioning Electivire. I love shiny Electivire, but does anyone else think they messed up the colors in X/Y? He looks too much like a normal one.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I like a lot of shinies but agree that some of them are a let down.

I feel like shiny Talonflame could have been a lot cooler! Oh, and also the Togepi line has some of the most boring shinies.

I've always loved Dragonair's shiny colouring, but disappointed in the fact that shiny Dragonite is green. x3 I like my dragons pink.

Tyrunt is super cute in shiny. Same with Furfrou (like bajram1892 said, Pokemon with black coloured shinies just look automatically cooler).

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Most of the time, I prefer the original coloring to the shiny coloring as I am either used to it or find the shiny coloring to have loads of clashing going on. (It just seems like the original colors are much more well-thought out) But one of the rare cases where that is not so is in Talonflame and Meowstic (F). Taloflame's redness is accentuated to the max and I have awesome redgasms because of it. (It's my favorite color of all time. I am super biased.) As for Meowstic, it has this beautiful golden color. @_@ Way better than blue. And yes, more of my bias to warmer colors.

Some favorites I don't necessarily prefer to the original color scheme though are Pancham (awesome brown. :3), Chesnaught, Yveltal/Xerneas (I prefer white to black, so the replacement of the colors made me happy, plus Xerneas is a much more vivid blue), Absol (red! It's red instead of black I am happy. :3), Gyarados (same reason as before), Victini (It's white! We need more white shinies), Cyndaquil line (and again, red), and the more subtle ones. Yes, I'm one of the people who likes the subtle shinies. It just gives it this strange sort of elusive mysteriousness to me for some reason. And also because I was always fond of the tint changes based on nickname in the Pokemon Stadium series. I like to think that every individual Pokemon has a slightly different tint from the other, but to be that shiny, they need to have that specific tint and be all sparkly.

Whilst I like shiny Fennekin, I was disappointed by Braixen/Delphox. The original color schemes entranced me, but I wasn't fond of the addition of purple. Would have preferred if they had just replaced the yellow with a whiteish color all over the body and the white with yellow similarly to Victini. Also, I don't like shiny Greninja. It just looks way too clashing and I'm not entranced by the black shinies unlike many.

Years
  • I generally don't care for shinies at all.
    Got my fave shiny, Bergmite, from FS. Shame its Own Tempo.
    Am liking how black came back as a shiny color- Furfrou and Greninja.
    All that green was getting out of hand. Vivillon is the new green in my opinion.

Years
  • Of the ones I've come across, I saw and caught two in X (Relicanth and Clawitzer) :) I thought that Relicanth's was a definite improvement with the bright blue over the more dusty brown but I was disappointed that I actually preferred the original Clawitzer to the red shiny one xD Still a really cool shiny in its own right though :)

Back