• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokemon Yellow - 151

Years
  • Hello, everyone! I am new to Pokecommunity and thought that I would start off by sharing a rom-hack that I've created...

This rom-hack is intended for emulator players, like me, who simply want to play through the original Pokemon Yellow, complete their pokedex 100%, and have access to the surfing beach-house. The problems with playing on emulators these days is that there are no promotional pokemon events to go to, there is no connectivity to Pokemon Stadium, and trading across games, while possible, is not only tricky to do, but also feels totally unnatural. Many players have solved the problem by using cheat-codes to temporarily activate the abilty to capture the "missing pokemon", but to many players it still feels unnatural and, well, like cheating.

The solutions I have implemented here are supposed to feel as natural as possible, where players should not feel as if they've cheated or that they are even playing a hack - think of this project as more of a patch. Players will have the ability to encounter all missing Pokemon in the most natural ways possible, where each encounter, trade, and shop edit has been carefully planned, with strong consideration of:

1) Where and how Pokemon have appeared in all Red, Blue, and Green games
    2) Where and how specific Pokemon have appeared in the anime series (which Pokemon Yellow strives for)
    3) Game story
    4) Game balancing
    5) Playability

The only other major liberty I have taken with this patch is to replace any real-world references (locations and animals) with appropriate Pokemon world counterparts. In doing so, I've once again carefully considered main-line Pokemon game stories and have ret-conned the relevant new information into those replacements: The chef on the S.S. Anne has replaced the salmon on his menu, and Lt.Surge is no longer known as the Lightning American - but rest assured, Pokemon fans will be more than happy with the replacements. - I have not re-written any other lines that did not need them! the only other line that has changed, is that the game programmer's computer which tells you not to mess with the code, now reveals the patch version number. Also, I have altered one tile in the Cinnabar Lab so that players cannot become soft-locked as in the original release, and have slightly edited a few tiles in Fucshia City for easier movement through town - nothing drastic.

Please enjoy the ultimate vanilla Pokemon Yellow experience, I promise you will find more enjoyment in trying to complete the game without reading the Spoiler Section in the included Pokemon Yellow 151 Guide!

Download Pokemon 151 - Yellow Version: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5746/

UPDATE: 7/28/2021 - Patch has been updated to v3.0
    Pikachu now learns surf through the use of the HM, as opposed to previous versions where it knew surf from the start of the game. I'm very happy to introduce this change.

z8WRczs.png
    KdbhqRr.png
    nyBP3f9.png
    ThurHSf.png
    w3TiFmw.png

~ Razormime

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Looks very promising. Congratulations. Just one question: did you made trainers roosters different from vanilla game? Trainers, gym leaders, rival and e4? Thanks!!

Years
  • Looks very promising. Congratulations. Just one question: did you made trainers roosters different from vanilla game? Trainers, gym leaders, rival and e4? Thanks!!

No, all the trainers in the game have their original vanilla teams.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I recently got a chance to play the recent 3.0 version and it's pretty good.
    glad that the starter pikachu can be taught how to surf with an HM in this version.

maybe in a future version, you might want to add the ability for the player to either run or bike at a higher speed when holding the B button (as if the player had the running shoes), like with this guy's hack.

Years
  • I recently got a chance to play the recent 3.0 version and it's pretty good.
    glad that the starter pikachu can be taught how to surf with an HM in this version.

maybe in a future version, you might want to add the ability for the player to either run or bike at a higher speed when holding the B button (as if the player had the running shoes), like with this guy's hack.

Hey! Thanks for checking it out! I'm really happy you gave it a go! Especially since I got the surf HM sorted out - that was really something I wanted from the start.

I thought about adding that, but I just really like vanilla for it's nostalgic sense. While playing, I do get the desire to add modern conveniences like that, but then my lines start to get blurred, and I start thinking "well why don't I add this other thing, then, too?" and pretty soon the project gets away from me. Also, it think it would make the bicycle redundant. This patch should be compatible with other patches, though! as long as the other patch doesn't conflict with any of the changes I've implemented. If there is a singular patch out there that only adds running shoes, you should be able to run that patch before you run my patch and be good to go. Same for uncensoring sprites and what-not.

Also, If you are interested, I have done the same thing with Pokemon Crystal: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10386677#post10386677

Years
  • it was just a thought anyway
    I finished completing the Yellow 151 V3 hack a few days ago.

since you only made Blue 151 and Yellow 151 hacks, someone else a long time ago made a Red 151 hack which I'm currently trying out - seems to be a full color kind with gen 2 sprites

Years
  • it was just a thought anyway
    I finished completing the Yellow 151 V3 hack a few days ago.

since you only made Blue 151 and Yellow 151 hacks, someone else a long time ago made a Red 151 hack which I'm currently trying out - seems to be a full color kind with gen 2 sprites

Oh, I've seen a couple of those gen1 with gen2 visual hacks, they are great! Yeah, mine are purposefully as vanilla as possible.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2022
    Thanks for making this hack! I like the restrictions you kept to it and I like the changes you made. I think this could be the definitive version of a gen 1 experience :)

Years
  • Thanks for making this hack! I like the restrictions you kept to it and I like the changes you made. I think this could be the definitive version of a gen 1 experience :)

Thanks so much for saying that! I really appreciate the feedback, and it's great to hear that a hack I made for myself is something that others wanted, too! Once you get far enough into the game, would you mind leaving a review on RHDN (where it's hosted)?

I'm curious how far you've gotten into the hack, are you enjoying it so far? any issues?

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    hello there, that was what i was looking for, can i ask you some things?

1 - what tool do you use to change de pokemon level evolution? i want make kadabra evolve at lv 37 and other too...
    2- Can you fix the type effect?
    >>> Crit rate fix (1/16 chance and Focus Energy/Dire Hits work properly)
    and
    Type effectiveness updated (ghost is now super effective against psychic, poison normally effective against bug, ice not very effective against fire, bug not very effective against poison and ghost)

this is the only thing i want.. if you could tell me how to do it...

Years
  • hello there, that was what i was looking for, can i ask you some things?

1 - what tool do you use to change de pokemon level evolution? i want make kadabra evolve at lv 37 and other too...
    2- Can you fix the type effect?
    >>> Crit rate fix (1/16 chance and Focus Energy/Dire Hits work properly)
    and
    Type effectiveness updated (ghost is now super effective against psychic, poison normally effective against bug, ice not very effective against fire, bug not very effective against poison and ghost)

this is the only thing i want.. if you could tell me how to do it...

Hi! so to answer your question, you can do all of those things with the Pokemon Yellow Disassembly project. I suggest using Discord and asking in the Pret Community Forums on how to get it all installed - these guys helped me get started, and I've since forgotten how to install and setup the project, but once you get it all ready, I can help you with those small changes you are talking about. Alternatively, if you find another patch which has those changes, you can run that patch first, and then run my patch on top of it.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Hi! so to answer your question, you can do all of those things with the Pokemon Yellow Disassembly project. I suggest using Discord and asking in the Pret Community Forums on how to get it all installed - these guys helped me get started, and I've since forgotten how to install and setup the project, but once you get it all ready, I can help you with those small changes you are talking about. Alternatively, if you find another patch which has those changes, you can run that patch first, and then run my patch on top of it.

alright, thanks for replying, the question is, i just want make pikachu learn surf if i use ''HM'', like a water pokemon, how you did it?

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2024
    Is a Mew available to just trade without any backstory or is it really well hidden on the island?

Years
  • After getting setup with the disassembly project, I was able to find the data for Pikachu and what moves he is capable of learning. I simply changed this data to include the ability to learn surf through an HM.

Years
  • alright, thanks for replying, the question is, i just want make pikachu learn surf if i use ''HM'', like a water pokemon, how you did it?

After getting setup with the disassembly project, I was able to find the data for Pikachu and what moves he is capable of learning. I simply changed this data to include the ability to learn surf through an HM.

Years
  • Is a Mew available to just trade without any backstory or is it really well hidden on the island?

Mew is available as a trade on Cinnabar. The details of the trade are not explicitly stated in the game, as I really wanted to avoid adding new dialogue (this is supposed to be super vanilla after all), however their were careful considerations as to who it is that trades you Mew, and what they ask for. The person who offers the trade is a scientist on Cinnabar Island... hinting at the possibility that this scientist was involved with the Mewtwo disaster on the island (maybe / maybe not). The Pokemon he requests in the trade ensures that the trade is only possible after beating the Elite 4 - I won't explain how, as I want to avoid spoilers in an open discussion like this, but it does form a slight sense of completion/reward in the game.

I am still debating whether I should change this trade into a gift scenario, but if I do it I will substantially rewrite this character - it is a difficult choice to consider in a vanilla hack.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2022
    Hey Razormime,

First, this is great! I've been loving this patch in my playthrough thus far.

Do you happen to have the original source code with your changes on github? The reason I ask is because I'd like to cleanly apply your changes to https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II, and do a clean build/compile; as opposed to applying your IPS patch on top of dannye's generated ROM.

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
    Years
  • Hi there,

I played your game up to the end. Even if it's 96% similar to the original game (Which I was warned about, since you said it), it was good in general.

What I liked about it:
    - The fact that we can teach our Pikachu how to surf! It was my first time ever that I got a Pikachu with Surf, and when we surf on it, the sprite is cool as well! It's a real change from the usual "whale" sprite.
    - The fact that I could try the Pikachu Surfing minigame for the first time in my life too! ;) It was fun!
    - TM15, TM23 and TM50 are sold in the regular mart in Celadon! It's sure much better than TM37, of course! (Still, I would have liked other TMs at marts, but it's okay!)
    - Game Corner prizes are different. (Getting a Lv39 Slowpoke for just 120 coins is a really good "aubaine"). ;)
    - In-game Trades are all different except the one Cubone for Machoke. They are all good trades too!
    - You kept the same Pokémon and the same moves as Gen 1! (It's very important for trading with TGB DUAL, coz games are to be 100% compatible!) ;)
    - Well, the fact we can get all Pokémon in the game! (It's not a necessity for me, since I trade by using TGB DUAL, but it's good for sure!) ;)

What I less liked:
    - The only thing is that the game is 96% similiar to the original game (same texts, same maps (almost), same marts (almost), same trainers, same gym leaders and same Elite 4, etc.) But, since you told us about this, it's alright, and I was prepared for this!

Bref, your game is quite good. Sometimes, simplicity is the best for avoiding bugs and glitches, and it makes the original game more attractive, especially with Pikachu and Surf which I never got before in my entire life... Thanks so much for letting me experience this in my life! ;)

Have a good day! ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2022
    Hi!

How to I download the base version off the link you provided?

Years
  • Hey Razormime,

First, this is great! I've been loving this patch in my playthrough thus far.

Do you happen to have the original source code with your changes on github? The reason I ask is because I'd like to cleanly apply your changes to https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gen-II, and do a clean build/compile; as opposed to applying your IPS patch on top of dannye's generated ROM.

Thanks for checking the hack out! I really appreciate it.
    Sorry for the late reply; I've been away for a bit. Unfortunately I do not have the original source code with my changes on Github. Believe it or not, but this was my first rom hack using the disassembly, and I sort of learned as I went, and didn't make proper documentation within the code as to what I changed, added, or removed. I also do not really know how to use Cygwin beyond building my rom - by that I mean that I don't know what (if any) commands I can use to produce a "differences" list or whatever.

Would you let me know if applying my patch over that other patch works out okay? that sounds like a really cool idea!

Back