• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Zirconium Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Great job on the newest fakes-- now THAT's more like I was looking for. They remind me of the little forest spirits from Princess Mononoke; the face is similar.

Although, if I were you, I'd focus on getting sprites BEFORE the Sugimori art. You can't really use that art in-game, see, and if you try to finish your dex before you even start making what's, y'know, useful, you're going to run into some serious trouble.

...Also. I know it'll be hard to accomodate this, but: writers, spriters, artists, and visionaries do not good project leaders make. The simple truth is that most of the big projects have a very small team with the programmer as the project leader. If you're amassing and directing everyone and the person who's actually making the game game is just part of the process, you run the risk of them missing the boat, or not making it entirely like what you want, or quitting like artists, spriters, and writers tend to do. So I'd bring your programmer in a little closer, or take over programming yourself. (Can't be that hard, plenty of idiots manage it, and you seem savvy enough).

Sorry if I seem cynical; I've been lurking in game dev for much too long, and I've been part of multiple projects like this one. I hate to see people running in circles with sugi art and perfecting fakemon's designs and all that (although by the same token, I hate seeing fakemon that are just colored animals; I guess the middle ground is hard to find).

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Great job on the newest fakes-- now THAT's more like I was looking for. They remind me of the little forest spirits from Princess Mononoke; the face is similar.

Why thanks! I'm sure defno will love to hear that. Princess Mononoke was a great movie - Miyazaki is the man - but the inspiration actually came from Arakune of BlazBlue.

Although, if I were you, I'd focus on getting sprites BEFORE the Sugimori art. You can't really use that art in-game, see, and if you try to finish your dex before you even start making what's, y'know, useful, you're going to run into some serious trouble.

Our spriter actually said he much prefers working with the art, although what you say makes sense to me.

...Also. I know it'll be hard to accomodate this, but: writers, spriters, artists, and visionaries do not good project leaders make. The simple truth is that most of the big projects have a very small team with the programmer as the project leader. If you're amassing and directing everyone and the person who's actually making the game game is just part of the process, you run the risk of them missing the boat, or not making it entirely like what you want, or quitting like artists, spriters, and writers tend to do. So I'd bring your programmer in a little closer, or take over programming yourself. (Can't be that hard, plenty of idiots manage it, and you seem savvy enough).

I actually tried programming for awhile, but depending on someone who is learning the process as he's going is much worse than depending on someone who knows what he's doing. I guess I could if it comes to that, but our programmer is happy enough. He is involved with the team and contributes a fair number of ideas, he's just a very busy guy IRL, pops in and out... he's involved when he's here, though. I'm thinking once this school semester ends, things will be better for him; I know him rather well so I don't think he'll abandon us.

Sorry if I seem cynical; I've been lurking in game dev for much too long, and I've been part of multiple projects like this one. I hate to see people running in circles with sugi art and perfecting fakemon's designs and all that (although by the same token, I hate seeing fakemon that are just colored animals; I guess the middle ground is hard to find).

Nah, don't worry about it; cynicism has it's place. I've done my fair share of browsing here, too, so I think I know what you mean about other projects...

I may be an idealist and a dreamer, but I am 100% confident in this project. I don't care how long it takes, too much passion has been put into it for it to disappear. :)

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's some updates!

Introducing... Janus, best friend and rival extraordinaire!
janusfront.gif

He has a classy look befitting his wealth and pampered upbringing. The way he points his finger out as if he's challenging someone makes his experience and trainer pedigree clear, but his calm expression lets you know he's not intentionally showy; it's just in his blood.

Last edited:

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Nice work! Looks amazing! :D

Thanks Chrono. <3

To counter our previous efforts of going with a more abstract approach to Fakemon designs, I'm pleased to unveil two more of defno's creations! Don't worry, folks, we'll go back to being abstract after this; even if they aren't as unique as the mask duo, I still think they're fantastic.

Introducing... Cauldrunt and Cauldrath!

cauldron.png
cauld2trans.png

They're Poison/Steel type, and I think they're mighty creative. Humorously enough, I had a little cousin of mine looking over my shoulder when I first clicked the link and saw them. The cousin, with an impressed tone in his voice, asked me if that was "one of the new Pokemon"; I think that means defno is too good at his job.

Once we start filling in these last few spots in the Fakedex with some more abstract, original creations, I think that'll be it for the Fakemon. We need to start focusing on strictly spriting them soon. Still, there's some type coverage to think about, we don't want to leave certain types out. I wouldn't have thought it before getting into this fangame business, but there's alot of thought put into each generation!

deeelove

Dradradra drama BEATZZ
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
you defiantly did an awesome job on this one!

Years
I've had a go at spriting Cauldrunt. It's likely going to be changed a little, but I'm pretty pleased with it as is.

Cauldrunt7.png

Tell me what you think. Also, have you seen the newer Tohoku map? Again, thoughts welcome.

ZircB6.png

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Sorry, but I can't be the only one that picked up on this.

No, you're definitely not the only one. D=

I was inspired to name him Janus, as it's the birth name of Chrono Trigger anti-hero Magus. Unlike Odessa, who was named after the person she was with reason, I simply chose the name Janus because I think it sounds cool... "anus" aside.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Every time i come back to check PC, Zirconium gets better and better.
You guys are doing some great work.
Good sprite and map niknaks.

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2011
About Janus's hair... does he have like a small ponytail or does it seriously curve at a 90 degree angle starting at his ear? It looks better as a ponytail.
Also, his stance is a little static amongst the Pokemon fanbase.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Every time i come back to check PC, Zirconium gets better and better.
You guys are doing some great work.
Good sprite and map niknaks.

Thanks a ton, Blazers. You have no idea how much praise like this helps; reassures me that we might actually be doing something right! =D

About Janus's hair... does he have like a small ponytail or does it seriously curve at a 90 degree angle starting at his ear? It looks better as a ponytail.
Also, his stance is a little static amongst the Pokemon fanbase.

Yeah, it's a small ponytail. I guess it does kind of look ambiguous. >_>

I'm aware about the stance, but a static sprite is better than no sprite at all. Especially since, you know, there's only two complete fangames out there... comparing games seems a bit silly to me. D=

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I can't believe it has taken me so long to check out this thread. The project seems to be incredibly well-planned, and as a writer, I find the story quite intriguing. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for further developments, though I am very impressed at the moment. Good luck with your project Kaiser.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Love the fakemon and the main char looks cool....

Why thank you! I think he looks very cool, too.

Update time, boys and girls! Life has been hell for me this past month or so, and everyone has been busy with end-of-the-semester nonsense... but we persevere!

After what seems like a dozen drafts, I think we finally settled on our region map. For reals, this time! Here it is without labels, as it will appear in-game...

zircbhgss5.png

And here it is with labels, to show you guys what is what. Madripoor City is likely going to get a name change, I just needed something that vaguely sounded humid and didn't feel like being clever. Props to anyone who guesses where I got the name from, though.

zircbhgss5labelled.png

Three cheers for NikNaks!

You start in Nozori, go down and visit Bistre, then you go up into Cedar Forest, Naetle City and then to Cobalt. You pass through the Treno Mountains and spelunk into the Nibel Ruins on the long trek to Fortuna City. You get to visit the island city of Mardesol, and then return to Fortuna for a brief stay. From there you go south and visit Curia City, the capital of the Kutoh region. Heading further south you'll reach Madripoor City, which is the last city you'll visit. After that, everything comes full circle and you wind up where it all began: Nozori City... after passing through an all new, all different Cedar Forest, of course...

The smaller, nameless towns may or may not stay; I'm trying to think of some more clever landmarks to replace them. I was actually going to avoid the Pokemon cliche of "small useless towns without a gym" and just stick to eight big cities, but certain routes ended up being too long (particularly the one between Treno Mountain and Fortuna City) and needed some filler to break it up. And for those worried that it's just going to be a straight loop the whole way through, never fear; there will be little side areas that can be explored if you wander off the intended path, such as a deep cave within the mountain on the other side of the lake near Fortuna City.

And from the brilliant mind of artist extroadinaire defno, here are two amazing Psychic type Fakemon. The left is the baby form, and to the right is it's evolution.

psychic1trans.png
psychetrans.png

Going from pencils to pixels, here's some more progress made on the Fakemon front. Some of them may be designs you recognize from previous updates, others maybe not.

16h7ozk.png
10ml8qp.png
2ak0box.png
cauldruntfr.gif
cauldrathfr.gif

Last, but certainly not least, I am pleased to unviel the female protagonist trainer. Well, her front sprite anyways!

femaletrnrfr.gif

We chose to give her bright colors, such as the bright orange shirt and the blonde hair, in order to emphasize heroism. The retail Pokemon games tend to have dark haired female trainers, too, and that kind of bugs me for some reason. I really like how she turned out. If you squint hard enough, too, you'll note that she's wearing a whistle on a necklace. If you play as the female trainer, that may just come into play somehow!

Anyways, I hope you guys haven't forgotten us. We're working on what will hopefully be the final draft of Nozori City and maybe sometime soon we might get a short little video as a proof of progress. We'd certainly have that now if we weren't sticklers for quality; we've tossed out all of our half-assed work. Sometime soon I'm gonna get a blog organized, too, in case anyone digs those... it'll mostly be for organizational purposes (ie; keep me from losing track of stuff), but whatev'.

BR25

The guy who loses at everythin
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Loving the idea of those new pokemon as i always say keep up the good work

Fr0ZeN-LIgeR

recovering facebook addict
Years
this looks awesome first and will be looks like it will be awesome to play an alpha or beta

but for the pawn pokemon could it be that it is a split evolution were the knight is more attack orriented then a rook/bishop evolution which is more defence/special attack focused??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back