• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Zirconium Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
It disappoints me greatly that this project has been buried in the section like this. Zirconium is definitely one of the top projects in the Drawing Board and hasn't been given nearly enough support... Come on people!

Last edited:

zane203

Zetsumei barer
Years
=D how dark are you aiming to be, i know I had an old old old old project, that was rated M and had some gore X.x that was a pokemon project. but i dont think you're going that dark xD

cant wait to see this further developed =]

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
It disappoints me greatly that this project has been buried in the section like this. Zirconium is definitely one of the top projects in the Drawing Board and hasn't been given nearly enough support... Come on people!

We're actually making a fair bit of progress with things like the menu screens and various other GUI things, but I want to hold off on showcasing that here until we get it all done. There has also been a few new Fakemon designs tossed around, might tease one of those, too. But yeah, important stuff getting done now, menus are looking pretty nice. Our boy NikNaks has been a great asset to the team.

And thanks for the support, I'm glad to see someone hasn't forgotten us. =D

=D how dark are you aiming to be, i know I had an old old old old project, that was rated M and had some gore X.x that was a pokemon project. but i dont think you're going that dark xD

cant wait to see this further developed =]

First off, thanks for the support! It means alot to me. Secondly, thank you for asking this question!

The story has actually gone through quite a few drafts and each version has gotten "progressively" less dark. When we first set out to create Pokemon Zirconium Version, it was both something of a parody (see; the freaking title of the game) and a dark reimagining of the franchise we all knew and loved. The story has at one time included atrocities such as - but was not limited to - four onscreen deaths (one of which was a child), matricide, implied rape, and the protagonists (children, mind you) being tricked into killing God (Arceus). It was deep, I thought! It was philosophical, I said! It was wild and crazy and something no one had ever seen before, I wanted to believe!

I then promptly woke the hell up and realized I needed to drastically change things.

I wanted to remove all of the dark stuff in my life and go in a new, brighter direction. Looking around my book shelf and game shelf, there was nothing but stories about morbid stuff and being smothered by adversity and whatnot. I got to thinking, "whatever happened to stories about optimism and inspiration?"

I started off by watching the Digimon Movie. Yes, that's right, the Digimon Movie. If you haven't seen it, do it, it's a fantastic film. That more or less gave me the right frame of mind with which to write the story in; it's lighthearted and fun, but still gave the audience a sense of urgency and legitimately felt like a "cool" movie while still being a "kids film". I know nobody likes calling Pokemon a "kids game" but frankly, that's what it is. Not only that, but the soundtrack was hilariously awesome.

I then stumbled upon this interview with Alan Moore, aka Chieftain of Jackassery. Sure, he may be a douchebag, but this interview made alot sense to me. Moore, as you may or may not know, was the author of The Watchmen as well as the Batman spin-off comic "The Killing Joke". Moore stated that out of all his career, he regretted writing The Killing Joke the most because he felt as though The Joker wasn't meant to carry that much weight; he was designed to be a lighthearted character, and Alan Moore admitted to making him too dark and serious. I disagreed with this sentiment, but it got me thinking. Maturity and darkness are two separate concepts altogether, and while I can respect a fangame creators intent to make their fangames "mature" and "serious", I don't think Pokemon was designed to be dark.

There's also the fact that, in my humble opinion, dark writing is far too easy compared to lighthearted and optimistic writing; it's too easy to just kill your characters off, but a real challenge would be to figure out how to have them all live happily ever after without sounding cheesy. I want to challenge myself.

Growing up, I never really had much of a problem with Shadow the Hedgehog, despite being a lifelong Sonic fan ever since the Sega Genesis era. But now that I'm a bit older, I sort of see him a bit differently, and I understand a little better why so many people hate him. I sort of hate myself for not seeing it sooner.

I dunno, it's five AM, and I still don't think this post conveys what I'm feeling. It's a very serious issue for me, probably a bit too serious. But the tone of this game is something I'm putting alot effort into. I want to inspire people, dammit.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

Years
We're actually making a fair bit of progress with things like the menu screens and various other GUI things, but I want to hold off on showcasing that here until we get it all done. There has also been a few new Fakemon designs tossed around, might tease one of those, too. But yeah, important stuff getting done now, menus are looking pretty nice. Our boy NikNaks has been a great asset to the team. U SHOE MII NAO!

And thanks for the support, I'm glad to see someone hasn't forgotten us. =D
oh, i could nver forget u..... unles an identical verzun game and took your place. :shocked:

First off, thanks for the support! It means alot to me. Secondly, thank you for asking this question!
so what...? u cheeting on me nao!?

The story has actually gone through quite a few drafts and each version has gotten "progressively" less dark. When we first set out to create Pokemon Zirconium Version, it was both something of a parody (see; the freaking title of the game hi mr. tietle) and a dark reimagining of the franchise we all knew and loved. The story has at one time included atrocities such as - but was not limited to - four onscreen deaths (one of which was a child was it that mean jerk-face frum down the strret?), matricide, implied rape, and the protagonists (children, mind you) being tricked into killing God im gunna call my priest abowt this! jebus cant be kild by kids!!!!!!!!!!1 (Arceus)oh..... It was deep, I thought! It was philosophical, I said! It was wild and crazy and something no one had ever seen before, I wanted to believe!

I then promptly woke the hell up and realized I needed to drastically change things. i had dat happen before, but i was naked, + in a straeng bed...... i relized i needed clothes, so i made some pantss from teh sheet! inginuwity at its fineset!!!

I wanted to remove all of the dark stuff in my life and go in a new, brighter direction. i sugest a lamp, thos can rlly briten up a room Looking around my book shelf and game shelf, there was nothing but stories about morbid stuff and being smothered by adversity and whatnot. i msust be gettin diffrent things than u..... idont hav any buks or gams made of blakc holes I got to thinking, "whatever happened to stories about optimism and inspiration?"

I started off by watching the Digimon Movie. Yes, that's right, the Digimon Movie. If you haven't seen it, do it, it's a fantastic film. That more or less gave me the right frame of mind with which to write the story in; it's lighthearted and fun, but still gave the audience a sense of urgency and legitimately felt like a "cool" movie while still being a "kids film". I know nobody likes calling Pokemon a "kids game" but frankly, that's what it is. Not only that, but the soundtrack was hilariously awesome.

I then stumbled upon this interview with Alan Moore, aka Chieftain of Jackassery. Sure, he may be a douchebag, but this interview made alot sense to me. Moore, as you may or may not know, was the author of The Watchmen as well as the Batman spin-off comic "The Killing Joke". Moore stated that out of all his career, he regretted writing The Killing Joke the most because he felt as though The Joker wasn't meant to carry that much weight; he was designed to be a lighthearted character, and Alan Moore admitted to making him too dark and serious. I disagreed with this sentiment, but it got me thinking. Maturity and darkness are two separate concepts altogether u r finaly relizing dat, bein matur & in a dark rume or 2 rlly difrennt things , and while I can respect a fangame creators intent to make their fangames "mature" and "serious", I don't think Pokemon was designed to be dark. ya, they use a lot of brite colrs.

There's also the fact that, in my humble opinion, dark writing is far too easy compared to lighthearted and optimistic writing; it's too easy to just kill your characters off, but a real challenge would be to figure out how to have them all live happily ever after without sounding cheesy. I want to challenge myself.
i unerstand, getting dressed is teh chalenge i have to conkur evreeday...

Growing up, I never really had much of a problem with Shadow the Hedgehog, despite being a lifelong Sonic fan ever since the Sega Genesis era. But now that I'm a bit older, I sort of see him a bit differently, and I understand a little better why so many people hate him. I sort of hate myself for not seeing it sooner.
wass a sonik?

I dunno, it's five AM, and I still don't think this post conveys what I'm feeling. It's a very serious issue for me, probably a bit too serious. But the tone of this game is something I'm putting alot effort into. I want to inspire people, dammit. kk

Pay no mind to the comments in bold, I was bored and it seemed like a good idea at the time. :\

I have to admit that the Digimon Movie was awesome. My sisters and I literally rented that close to twenty times... I always regret not buying it when I saw a copy in Wal-mart. I understand what you're getting at, with the movie, though.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
Years
Pay no mind to the comments in bold, I was bored and it seemed like a good idea at the time. :\

I lol'd.

So yeah, I was listening through my old high school CDs and I noticed some lyrics that suit the games' mood pretty well. I'd say if the game had a theme song (which it won't, but I'll worry about that later) it would be this.

Kamikaze said:
I am so slow to commit
I have wasted years on fences
is is really true that shoes don't fit?
is it only my defenses?
what if I don't measure up,
don't listen well, don't smile enough?
alone and unknown up 'till now
need to change direction somehow
I've been open to persuasion
wanting someone to take the lead
it's a little disconcerting
signing up for eternity
there comes a time for throwing caution to the wind
and so my life begins

It was just sort of interesting relistening to this song and realizing how relevant it is to something I'm dealing with now, despite the fact that I hadn't listened to it in years.

I might post something by the end of the weekend, I dunno.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
Great job so far! I think the character descriptions are especially good. I am wondering though how long it will take until the whole periodic table is used up!

Years
if you have already finished the housing system could you please make it public because i have ben looking everywhere for one!

Yuoaman

Years
if you have already finished the housing system could you please make it public because i have ben looking everywhere for one!
i dun tink he gunna maek his haus publick...

Really, if the system is finished, he probably doesn't want every project to be using the exact same thing...

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Could I help?

I'm not as good at drawing as the other people on this project, but could I help make pokemon zirconium?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
OMG, the last post in this thread was in janurary... now its in march... Why has so many old threads have been revived lately....

Years
^ I think due to new members forgetting the rule of posting in very old topics. :/

OT- This project looks like it can actually get off the ground. The friendship feature is nice, the story is sorta mediocre, but I understand that you don't want to uncover anymore of it. I hope it will be a excellent breather of those other projects that pretty much stay too close to the original games. May Good luck be with you.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 15, 2023
This looks very promising. I'm liking the story so far and the fact that it's not just a cookie-cutter of the official games. I haven't looked at all the Fakemon yet but so far they look really good! Good luck and I hope you go all the way with this.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
Can you get the concept artist to make a 3rd evo for them? (the psychic guys) I think 1 and 2 are too similar, other than height, otherwise theyr great, but a third would be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back