• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokePress / PokeVillage

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    I cannot think of anything that you could add or change to those sites, they are both great in my opinion.

Master Kwesi Nkromah

"Pokéfan Kwesi"
    Years
    https://pokepress.net/?page=home
    The website's design is OK, but oddly, the more I look at it, the more i like it so that's a good thing. It leaves me with the feeling that I'm on a sunny beach in some far away place. It's a very relaxing theme you have going but unfortunately that theme is somewhat hampered by the background color of the page. I use a very large resolution for my monitor, and the off-sky-blue you have there works, but not 100% in your favor. I'm not saying you should run off and change the color, but if you could extend that feeling/theme/mood started in the body of your page to the page's background you'll have a real winner.

After gazing into the blue skies of your website design my eyes dropped down to what I thought was the title of your news blog "Reported by JKaizer on 15 Nov 2006 ".... hmm, that can't be right. I read on..."Episode 449 (BF27): All that Glitters is not Golden!
    Episode 450 (BF28): New Plot - Odd Lot
    Episode 451 (BF29): Going for Choke"
    What the heck am i looking at???? it was only until i scrolled halfway down the page and up again did i notice an oddly placed avatar image to the right. Above that was what i can only assume to be the title of your news/update. I didn't notice that there was an option to comment on the news/update until this very moment.
    I said all of that to just to say this... align your news/update title left! It would have saved me 30 seconds of my life. You may want to also consider livening up your pages a little. The news/update section looks very bland and lacks a decent divider between posts. While your current method works better when the news/update extends past the avatar, precious few actually do. In fact, most barely extend the whole length of the avatar let alone cover the whole thing up.

Other than that the site is Ok, although you should, at some point, start experimenting with tabless layouts.

Keep-up the good work.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Cool, a nice post that I can reply to :)
    https://pokepress.net/?page=home
    The website's design is OK, but oddly, the more I look at it, the more i like it so that's a good thing. It leaves me with the feeling that I'm on a sunny beach in some far away place. It's a very relaxing theme you have going but unfortunately that theme is somewhat hampered by the background color of the page. I use a very large resolution for my monitor, and the off-sky-blue you have there works, but not 100% in your favor. I'm not saying you should run off and change the color, but if you could extend that feeling/theme/mood started in the body of your page to the page's background you'll have a real winner.
    As much as I'd love to do something like that... I completely fail at anything graphical, which is why the layout is made by someone else.

In the future, I would like to have a tabular layout that stretches to fit the screen width better, but I haven't really had the time to do it.

It is on my list of things to do though.

After gazing into the blue skies of your website design my eyes dropped down to what I thought was the title of your news blog "Reported by JKaizer on 15 Nov 2006 ".... hmm, that can't be right. I read on..."Episode 449 (BF27): All that Glitters is not Golden!
    Episode 450 (BF28): New Plot - Odd Lot
    Episode 451 (BF29): Going for Choke"
    What the heck am i looking at???? it was only until i scrolled halfway down the page and up again did i notice an oddly placed avatar image to the right. Above that was what i can only assume to be the title of your news/update. I didn't notice that there was an option to comment on the news/update until this very moment.
    Ahhhh I guess that never really occured to me. To be honest, the news title is actually wrongly aligned, I just have never bothered to fix it.

This news layout is carried over from the Jolteon layout that I had on PocketNews. It was originally the common JKaizer layout that you can see on every other site, so I decided to change it up a bit and added the avatar/comment things in a floating <div> to the right. It does look a lot better when the news post is correctly labelled, and there is a decent amount of content in the post... but with the lack of anything newsworthy besides quick titles, there hasn't been much to fill that space with.

*logs in* I moved the news title over to the left, where it should be. It look better now?
    I said all of that to just to say this... align your news/update title left! It would have saved me 30 seconds of my life. You may want to also consider livening up your pages a little.
    With a rather mundane topic, this isn't very easy. But I hope to add a little more spice whenever I get around to getting the tabular layout running. I'm hoping that'll add a little spice and shake things up a tad.

he news/update section looks very bland and lacks a decent divider between posts. While your current method works better when the news/update extends past the avatar, precious few actually do. In fact, most barely extend the whole length of the avatar let alone cover the whole thing up.
    Hmm. I don't like having borders around the news (it brings back memories of that horrible news layout that everyone and their mother seem to use now)... there isn't much that you can do with a news layout.

One thing I'd like to do is get a template for the news that's image based, like we had for the dark PocketNews layout - that'd look pretty much perfect I think.

Other than that the site is Ok, although you should, at some point, start experimenting with tabless layouts.

Keep-up the good work.
    Tables work for what I want to do - I don't really see a reason to change them. Kinda like the phrase "Why break what works?"

THANK YOU for a worthwhile comment! :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    PokeVillage
    PokeVillage, in my opinion would be a great web site if it had more content and less "coming soon" pages. This way people can read the content you already have and not the content you're going to have by visiting an empty page.
    You might want to also focus on using CSS for your CuteNews template and for most parts of your layout to save bandwidth and at the same time have valid xhtml 1.0 transitional.

PokePress
    As for PokePress, a job well done on it. A great improvement compared to PN. I'm not implying PN was was bad, if not just better. The layout is simple and yet appealing while at the same time being easy on the eyes. Your news is also sorted in nicely so your visitors can find the news they're looking for without more than 1 click. Though it would be best to categorize in a different way, for example.

PokeGaming News
    Wii Games
    Nintendo DS Games
    GameCube Games

Your Registration link would best suit the left menu so people can navigate to it easier. And while I'm on the topic of CuteNews, I recommend you upgrading your copy to 1.4.5 instead of 1.3.6 just to be safe. Be sure to take backups if you plan to keep using 1.3.6 over 1.4.5.

Overall, I would give a 8/10 to PokePress, and a 6/10 to PokeVillage for the lack of content and invalid code. Good job on PokePress most of all.

aRedMoon

Years
    PokeVillage, in my opinion would be a great web site if it had more content and less "coming soon" pages. This way people can read the content you already have and not the content you're going to have by visiting an empty page.
    PokeVillage has, over the years, had a lot more and a lot less content. The content tends to change as my liking of Pokemon does the same.

The anime has bored me silly, and so there is very little anime information on there. However, since I am rather into the whole DP thing, I may eventually had some anime info on the DP series.

All the pages that have real links and aren't just to ?page=soon have content on them, even if it isn't great content. My 3 big gaming pages are just PACKED if you'll notice.

That reminds me, need to change it so that I'm not using the iFrame anymore, and do a multi-query string URL. *notes to self*
    You might want to also focus on using CSS for your CuteNews template and for most parts of your layout to save bandwidth and at the same time have valid xhtml 1.0 transitional.
    Because PV gets very little hits, bandwidth really isn't a problem.

And if you look, within the layout, there is a lot of CSS involved. Most of it *should* be moved from the layout itself into a separate CSS file... but I'm kinda lazy and don't want to deal with that.

As for the CuteNews layout, i have to put it in a table, for the simple fact that IE doesn't recognize any CSS declared min. height. So shorter posts, such as the Comments one currently on there, would end up getting jumbled up with other posts.

...did take into account your XHTML comment, and I have done so. I really had three errors. I needed to change & to &, fix a > and a < in a news post, and add alt attributes to the banner. And now it passes. w00t.
    As for PokePress, a job well done on it. A great improvement compared to PN. I'm not implying PN was was bad, if not just better. The layout is simple and yet appealing while at the same time being easy on the eyes.
    Yeah, Matt did a wonderful job on it.

Care to say how it's better than PN? As there isn't anything changed but the layout really...
    Your news is also sorted in nicely so your visitors can find the news they're looking for without more than 1 click. Though it would be best to categorize in a different way, for example.

PokeGaming News
    Wii Games
    Nintendo DS Games
    GameCube Games
    I guess I didn't really think of splitting it up anymore. *does so*

How's it look now?
    Your Registration link would best suit the left menu so people can navigate to it easier.
    It was originally supposed to go in the navbar, but since it's on the update page only, it kinda forces people to read the rules.
    And while I'm on the topic of CuteNews, I recommend you upgrading your copy to 1.4.5 instead of 1.3.6 just to be safe. Be sure to take backups if you plan to keep using 1.3.6 over 1.4.5.
    1.4.x is full of security holes. Plus it doesn't have all the features of my lovely hacked 1.3.6. And I don't have the stupid ad!~
    Overall, I would give a 8/10 to PokePress, and a 6/10 to PokeVillage for the lack of content and invalid code. Good job on PokePress most of all.
    Mmhmm thanks ^_^

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Ah, Greg...how many times have I reviewed these frickin sites? XD

It's nice to see a change from the generic "OMG HERE IS TEH GAME INFO TAHT EVARY OTHER SIT HAS 1ST LOLOL", and I really like the blog style of PV. And that layout never gets old - I still say it's one of Matty's best.

I really would like to see PokePress get back up and running strong. It's a shame that everyone's too busy to work on it, and you really can't be expected to keep it going all by yourself either. It was definitely the best news site back then, and I think it's really got potential now, if you can just find some good help. =/

aRedMoon

Years
    Ah, Greg...how many times have I reviewed these frickin sites? XD
    Not enough times. I should post a thread more often, and poke you more often over MSN.
    It's nice to see a change from the generic "OMG HERE IS TEH GAME INFO TAHT EVARY OTHER SIT HAS 1ST LOLOL", and I really like the blog style of PV. And that layout never gets old - I still say it's one of Matty's best.
    Thanks for the first comment on the blog like style. I've tried to make it a tad more interesting than some of the other sites out there... but that's not too hard to do. XD
    I really would like to see PokePress get back up and running strong. It's a shame that everyone's too busy to work on it, and you really can't be expected to keep it going all by yourself either. It was definitely the best news site back then, and I think it's really got potential now, if you can just find some good help. =/
    Aside from the weekends, I normally have news posted within 24 hours still.

Not too bad - most of the time I still beat Bulbanews.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Ah, the organization is much better now and people can get to news quicker and faster. I also just noticed that too, though you should work on the way you blog your news on PP and make sure it's compatible with IE so you don't have to use if IE(if you're using those commands).

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I actually prefer the Jolteon one over the new news styles. But why not let people choose there own news styles instead for people who don't like certain styles?

aRedMoon

Years
    Hmm... that would work.

Thanks for the idea =) I never thought of doing that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Just another one of my two cents turned into an idea being used. O.o; You're welcome.

aRedMoon

Years
    Yeah - it was actually a useful idea, so I've incorporated it.

Now I'm fresh out of ideas of what to do next +_+~

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    By the way, if I can help out with the translations to spanish, it would be cool. I know pretty much perfect spanish. So if you need Espanol, I'm here.

Pikachu Trainer~

PokéDex Project
    Years
    These Are Cool Sites!

Both Sites are good! But it would be better if you added more pages on the Pokepress Website! (Mainly about Anime and Games) But so far these are brilliant websites! (Wish I could have a site of my own!)

Keep up the good Work on both sites!
    Pikachu Trainer!

aRedMoon

Years
    Both Sites are good! But it would be better if you added more pages on the Pokepress Website! (Mainly about Anime and Games) But so far these are brilliant websites! (Wish I could have a site of my own!)

Keep up the good Work on both sites!
    Pikachu Trainer!
    PokePress is only a news site, and does not have any content on the other aspects of Pokemon.

Back