• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokethlon vs. Contests?

iwuzhere9

Ye Olde Doofus
Years
  • I never liked Contests. Ever. I am still indecisive about these, so I am unsure. Hopefully, they well win me over.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I always like the contest and was sad that in emerald they put the whole contest in one place .:( I am not sure whether the Pokéthlon is that cool but I'll see.

Last edited:

joelogs

region Explorer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    pokethlon is awesome and has more thrills from what i've seen and read while contests i as for me based in dppt is good if your bored in going circles in the region.

codemonkey85

Software Developer
    Years
  • I would love Pokéthlon more than contests easily, if they were wi-fi compatible (I don't believe contests are).

Actually, I already like it more in some ways, due to the use of the new overworld sprites (so awesome!).

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • From what I have seen , I think that Pokeathelon will be better .
    Since it has more games and snowball fights wOOt !

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Pokémon Contests, since RSE, seemed enjoyable to me ever since. They have a place for me and it is something I find interest in when playing the main metagame. I agree that something extra could have been done to Pokémon Contests in the game to relate a bit more to the way it was done in the anime. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it occuring once more in future games to come. Not to mention, it hasn't been confirmed that Pokémon Contests are completely out of the GSDS remakes, so for those who do enjoy it, then I wouldn't drop all hopes yet, but I wouldn't keep your hopes up entirely high either. There is still a chance at it showing up in Kanto since nothing much has been revieled about the second region as yet besides a few screenshots and videos about Kanto.

As for the Pokéthelon, I can't say I am guaranteed to liking it because all I have seen are a few images and trailers on the subject. However, I cannot deny it looks intriguing and interesting no doubt, but I will have to actually experience the Pokéthelon before I can place my judgement on it like I have with Contests. So, for this matter it depends on overtime if I will prefer this new feature over Pokémon Contests. Although, it does look pretty cool at a perspective such as this.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    Pokethlon- I Loved the contests in gen 3, but gen 4 just ruined it- i mean, it doesn't even make sense now- you have to choose a judge? and if someone else chooses it, you loose points? whats the point in that? i'm hoping they either bring back the gen 3 contests, or get rid of them for good

Olliee

Spreading the Pokerus. PM me
    Years
  • Pokethlon- I Loved the contests in gen 3, but gen 4 just ruined it- i mean, it doesn't even make sense now- you have to choose a judge? and if someone else chooses it, you loose points? whats the point in that? i'm hoping they either bring back the gen 3 contests, or get rid of them for good

You never lost points during gen 4 contests,
    Although you did lose points if you get 'startled' in Gen 3 which I always thought was stupid.

I think they put the Judge thing in to stir things up a bit, and not make the contests too predictable.

Slowking

Live By The Creed
    Years
  • pokéthlon is definetly cooler, I only hope your pokémon will get ribbons as well 'cuz i did like to collect them

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • If the inclusion of ribbons is brought in with the Pokéthelon, then I will have to say it'll catch my attention as did the Pokémon Contests. Like many, it was always fun to collect as well as an added challenge the the gameplay besides the basic plot of the story. Not to mention, if the addition of ribbons is introduced with the Pokéthelon, then like before in contests it will be a nice change over always challenging a gym for another new badge.

I did always wish however that the game would have included its own separate area for a Grand Fesival-like area after collecting a certain amount of ribbons for the Pokémon Contests. I thought that would have always added a bit more to the idea of it as well as something to aim for afterwards. However, we'll see what comes along, and like I said there is still chance for a Pokémon Contests to appear in Kanto as not much of it or the region has been told currently.

Years
  • I go with Pokethlon. Not alot of info but the games look very enjoyable by yourself and with friends. Contests seemed annoying to me. ;/

Back