• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokewalker "!!" and "!!!" exclamation points: Useful to hesitate?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Well im not sure if your pokemon can find 150 watts (or more) but Im pretty sure you can get more than 50n watts by communicating with your friend.
    Well that is certainly possible via th mystery-gift with other pokewalkers bit. Just that I never did more than 10 in one day so I can't exactly find out for myself. XD

Tanaie

•♥~Yaoi~♥•
    Years
  • To be honest, I don't think hesitating makes a difference. It could, but I don't believe it does.

I've clicked on those bushes as fast as I can, and I've still managed to get a "!!!"

Like people have said already, I'm pretty sure that it's the amount of steps you walk that determine what kind of "!" you get.

JackNg

Noobie Trainer
    Years
  • I usually just wait till i clock enough steps for Group A pokes and starting catching them. I tend to hesitate sometimes(walking with your eyes on your pokewalker is not fun, and it hurts. :/ ) You get to see more !!!s and !!s and i've seen !!!!s a couple times.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    For the record I'm fairly sure the numbers given from serebii are from the result of an awful lot of trial and error in a thread over there - many are quite accurate, but maybe some thing slik items may be up in the air... but then again people found out the exact secret ids required to have the 'chance' of finding a shiny on the Pokewalker, etc, so maybe a good amount of that is 100% accurate.

I have no qualms with further discussion on this though - could be a fun Pokewalker-investigation thread in itself, actually. BTW, on the above bit I have read that the amount and/or frequency of having your Pokemon finds you watts depends on their happiness... of course to be really sure, extended amounts of testing would be reqiured. It's got some luck involved in it as well I believe to an extent.

I havn't heard about the 150 watts thing there, and have only gotten 10/20/50 myself.

Serebii's advice has been extremely useful and helpful to me so far. :)

The commentary I made about good guesstimation (or rather, that the numbers and data may not be absolute) comes from my own experiences that have contradicted with some of the things that Serebii has posted.

For example:

- finding a TM way earlier than I was supposed to be able to

- having a Pokemon who loves me more find fewer watts for me than a Pokemon who loves me less

I'm thinking that in my particular case with the Furret vs Scyther, it had to be luck because according to the Lady in Goldenrod, Scyther only 'really trusts' me and Furret 'really loves me a lot' and yet...

Scyther kept finding 50 watts time after time where my Furret only was finding 20 watts at most for the longest time (and I had clocked in the same number of steps as I had when I had Scyther and I was physically walking the same route and so my steps were consistent between the two times).

- having a Pokemon actually lose Happiness after being put into the Pokewalker

THIS bit actually dumbfounds me the most, but I fully swear that what I am about to say is true.

So I had an Eevee that I was trying to make more Happy by walking with it in the Pokewalker. I walk with him and clock my usual 5K+ steps on I forgot what path. We dowse for a few items, try and catch a few Pokemon, etc, and then I bring him back into my game.

When I show him to the Lady in Goldenrod, I am shocked to find that his Happiness actually DEcreased during the time in the Pokewalker. HUH?!

So.

Before I had exported him to my Pokewalker, the Lady in Goldenrod had said that 'He's cute'.

I went back to the Pokecenter in the same town right away and deposited him in the box so I could export him to the Pokewalker. No battling, no fainting (obviously), no not letting him keep something that he found - basically, no anything that would have gotten him mad at me.

I took him out on a Pokewalker walk and we seem to have a decent time.

I bring him back into the game and promptly go to show the Lady (expecting his Happiness level is the same or better because I wasn't sure HOW cute he was at the time) and his Happiness level is now at 'You should treat it better. It's not used to you yet.'

WTF?

I thought Pokewalker walks are supposed to INCREASE happiness, not DECREASE it?

JuiceeHugS

Tournament
    Years
  • Kavii ^ THAT is very interesting. In the Pokewalker diary, if my Scizor had let several Pokemon get away on a certain day, the diary will note that my Scizor is "sulking", which basically means he isn't too happy.

On another note, I've found that encountering !!! Pokemon is much more common on certain routes than others. I'd hardly find any !!! in the Yellow Forest, but found several !!! in Night's Sky Edge.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Do you think/know if your Scizor lost a Happiness level because of what happened?

I've had Pokemon sulk also and where I can't remember if that happened with my Eevee or not, I know for sure he lost Happiness.

People keep telling me that Pokemon won't/can't lose Happiness in the Pokewalker, but something sure happened to my Eevee to make him unhappy while in the Pokewalker.

Maybe it was similar - 'losing' a lot of battles in the Pokewalker and not finding a lot of things?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ...you know, that just may be in it. I remember reading some conflicting stories about Pokemon used purely on the Pokewalker and then levelled up once outside of it (like Golbat) which sometimes evolved from happiness, and sometimes didn't even though apparently it 'should have' ben happy enough by then. It may also be affected by having it in the Pokewalker but not walking much for some time? That could explain the strangeness regarding watt-finding as well...

Obviously, more testing is needed! XD

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    I'm currently keeping a mini-journal on how my various Pokewalker activities have turned out and when I get more data, I'll gladly share it/post it here to help contribute to the data pool. :)

One question though in relation to the Pokewalker data at Serebii: I know that all the possible Pokemon that can be caught in the Pokewalker are parted into groups (A, B, and C) and that there is a percentage chance of running into them at different intervals, but how do you read the data below it?

For example: Group C for Yellow Forest. Underneath the two possible Group C Pikachus where it says 0+ Steps, there is another table cell right below that lists a bunch of other percentages. What exactly is that table displaying?

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    The percentages and step requirements are actually extracted from the game and calculated for each item/pokemon's inclusion using simple mathematics. If you found a TM after only 31 steps, then it seems to us that you had already gained X amount of steps for that day. The step count is in all courses. It doesn't reset when you change course

For the percentages below;

When you send a Pokémon to Pokéwalker, it chooses 1 Pokémon from Group A, one from Group B and one from Group C

Each Pokémon has a set percentage for rarity. However, this then changes as the amount of steps you have taken increases

The rarity is then recalculated based upon the rarity of the Group B Pokémon chosen when enough steps have been made to make it appear.

It is then recalculated when you reach the step requirements for the Group A Pokémon

For Refreshing Field for example,

Doduo has a 70% rarity while Kangaskhan has a 50% rarity. This is only active after 2000 and 3000 steps respectively

The Nidoran's have 75% rarity after 500 steps. But if Doduo is selected, their rarity is 22.5% and with Kangaskhan it's 37.% after the step requirements unlock them

Then we have the Group C Pokémon
    Doduo Selected;
    0+ Steps: 100%
    500+ Steps: 25%
    2000+ Steps: 7.5%
    Kangaskhan Selected
    0+ Steps: 100%
    500+ Steps: 25%
    3000+ Steps: 12.5%

There are then some which get complicated when the Group B Pokémon have different rarities which give the Group C Pokémon 4 different rarity possibilities such in Blue Lake;

Poliwag/Shellder
    0+ St: 100%
    500+ St: 8%
    4000+ St: 3.2%
    Poliwag/Krabby
    500+ St: 28%
    4000+ St: 11.2%
    Dratini/Shellder
    500+ St: 8%
    5000+ St: 5.6%
    Dratini/Krabby
    500+ St: 28%
    5000+ St: 19.6%

For Yellow Forest, since all the Pokémon are Pikachus, they're labelled by their individual unique move

Back