• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Popularity: Is it all Type-related?

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
  • Good couple of responses here.

IMO, a Pokemon's looks play a big part of its possibility of being on my team. Take, for example, Floatzel. In Platinum, if I ever chose Chimchar or Turtwig, I'd have to have a Water-Type. Floatzel has decent stats, not a terrible movepool, and is Water-Type. BUT, I absolutely hate its appearance! For this reason, I have actually gone out of my way to trade a Piplup, spend hours catching a Mild-natured Feebas, or even deal with Magikarp to use as my Water-type because I despise the designs of both Floatzel and Gastrodon (The only GOOD Water-Types in the game aside from Gyarados, Milotic, and Empoleon.)

I've done similar things for Fire, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Dark, and Ghost-Types. As you can see, a Pokemon's appearance is important to me because I like my team to be elegant and look awesome. At the same time, I don't use a good-looking Pokemon if its stats fail. A healthy mixture of appeal and strength, all around, everytime.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • I admit, I am partial to grass Pokemon. But can you blame me?

That doesn't mean I love all grass Pokemon though, there are some I can barely stand to look at. Additionally, there are plenty of Pokemon of other types that I adore. I never had a particular attraction to the fire Pokemon, but there are plenty of that typing that I am head over heels for.

Fighting Pokemon, for example, never appealed to me. I thought they were hideous and most of them weren't interesting enough to redeem themselves. There are, however, some fighting Pokemon I love.

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • No. I have many Normal types and Flying types in my team because they're some of my first captures. I like them because I'm used to them.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
  • Typing does have a large effect on popularity. A Pokemon with great typing (Eg, Water/Ground), will tend to be more used. Water/Ground-types are only weak to Grass-type, but is solved due to the fact that many learn IceBeam.

On that note, Sasando (Dark/Dragon) has great defensive typing, and I find that it looks rather epic. It will almost definatly be a member of my team due to many reasons.

Back