• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Posible Reason Slow Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2013
    Hey guys,

I was really wondering why the forum is slow,
    Not even slow but even crashed/ almost crashed state alot.

So i took alook if there was any uhm how should i say problem with the software you guys where running that a posible attacker could use to get the forum down.

I found one.
    As people could make use of it i'm not going to post it but if this is the one that is making the forum slow.

Then to stop it just make sure that Image Verification in (search.php) is Enabled,
    Since it uses the search function to pretty much execute high load searches,
    Loads after each other what would slow down the server and even crash it.

So when you enable it /add it the verification a script of the kind would no longer work.
    Hope this helps you guys since i really dislike slow forums..

edit:
    As some people might be annoying like hacker etc..
    I'm not as its easy to find what webserver/php version a site is running same for vbullitin,
    Simple did a quick search nothing big.
    Havent even tested it.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Oh my... Can you possibly post with better English? I had to read that over about three times before fully understanding what you meant.

The lag isn't as bad as it used to be, from my experience anyway, and image verification would just be a huge nuisance. I definitely don't think it's the excessive use of the Search function. (There is some irony though since many forum administrators, not only on PC, complain about the underused Search.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2013
    Well sorry about my engels,
    Its for starters already bad and to make it worse,
    I havent slept in 27 hours.

Yes but it would seem some poeple can execute a simple lets say php code,
    That will request the search page again and again loads of times,

And the search page will execute these on to the huge post database what could cause the "lag",

And i'm not sure what you call not having alot of lag,
    But since the moment i became a member the website has been down for a large time.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I highly doubt that there are bots running search queries. Besides, adding a CAPCHA to the search is not only annoying but unnecsessary.
    It has been proven that CAPCHAs are ineffecive in stopping spambots.

It has been known that the DB is extremely large and the server that this forum resides on cannont fully handle the load.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I highly doubt that there are bots running search queries. Besides, adding a CAPCHA to the search is not only annoying but unnecsessary.
    It has been proven that CAPCHAs are ineffecive in stopping spambots.

It has been known that the DB is extremely large and the server that this forum resides on cannont fully handle the load.

Ditto to what he said. Going to close this now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back