• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Post-e4: Were the older Pokemon NEEDED?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • I don't like how that one of the biggest selling points of Unova was that it was going to be hugely isolated from the other regions, and that you'd find only the new Pokemon here, but then post-elite four and that's the majority of the Pokemon you see in the game, are from the older generation.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Time to answer my own thread in detail.

Basically, the first time I saw a Pokemon from the past (it being Jigglypuff), I knew I wasn't going to enjoy that half of Unova. I was so used to the Unova Pokemon that when I saw past Pokemon it just ruined the whole experience of after beating the story, being a whole new world. :( And after I explored, I immediately went back to the routes with just Unova Pokemon. Just yeah... seeing the others just seemed wrong, and now as a result I like the past Pokemon less because of that, in a weird way.

Years
  • id rather they just do away with the whole isolation thing at the start and allow most pokemon to be caught throughout the game. by the time the stories finished, being able to catch the old pokemon is mostly pointless, and i want to, throughout the game, build up my team of whichever pokemon i want.

why force the new gen on us?why not appeal to the people who want new pokemon, the people who want old pokemon, and the people who want whatever pokemon they like all at once by including most pokemon throughout the game.

Years
  • This thread has a serious case of tl;dr.

id rather they just do away with the whole isolation thing at the start and allow most pokemon to be caught throughout the game. by the time the stories finished, being able to catch the old pokemon is mostly pointless, and i want to, throughout the game, build up my team of whichever pokemon i want.

why force the new gen on us?why not appeal to the people who want new pokemon, the people who want old pokemon, and the people who want whatever pokemon they like all at once by including most pokemon throughout the game.

I totally agree, you people should be happy that they even did away with the old Pokemon before the E4. The truth is, not everyone likes the 5th generation Pokemon, my self-included. Game Freak was considerate enough to think about older fans, so the added the Pokeshifter and the older Pokemon in the wild. Completely getting rid of all the old Pokemon from the game sort of ruins the legacy too. You can't just pretend that those many years of success never happened. Don't get me wrong, the games were fantastic, but the new Pokemon actually ruined the experience for me. I liked that everything was new before the E4. It was just that everything new was hideous. Also,
    if I sprited all those frames for male, female, male shiny, etc. sprites of all the Pokemon I would make sure that people see them!

When you think about it, it actually make less sense for Unova to be filled with only new Pokemon. What would they do, murder every Pokemon that comes there from Japan? Bugs, rodents, and birds all have a pretty easy time getting around. Why would domesticated Pokemon like Meowth, Growlithe, and Skitty uncommon? Are breeds from other countries instantly deported?

Signomi said:
    I was immensely put off when I saw all the older Pokemon in the wild after beating the Elite Four.

It—to me—voided the thought of using PokéShifter to transfer Pokemon you have from past games, despite having a lot that aren't actually availlable in the wild.
    Not everyone has two DSs, or the older games. Are we going to just ban these people from using the older Pokemon? It would be a major pain for them to get the older Pokemon if they weren't available in Unova.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    But truthfully, i'm not even buying black and white because it doesnt have the older pokemon till the end. :/ if they had them throughout the whole game i would of maybe concidered it, and the company probably knows people that way. but i dont see the point of winning the whole thing to get the team i want and have nothing more to do with them lol.

All you have to do is go on the GTS Negotiations thing and wait until someone offers gen I-IV pokémon for your gen V pokémon.
    That's how I got a shiny Aipom when I first arrived in Nacrene, only cost me a Throh from Pinwheel forest.

And it was stated in the game that some of the older pokemon are there because they escaped from the poke transfer
    Kinda like introduced species, then?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    It kinda ruined the whole complete isolation thing and surprised myself by actually not liking it when the old gens started popping up.

At least they gave a little context by plonking in that ranger gal who says she's investigating Pokémon that escaped from the Pokéshifter. Even if it is a little odd that she herself had purely foreign Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I think it did ruin a bit of Unova's novelty factor. I'd much rather they'd gone 100% in either direction - either made ALL 649 Pokemon available from the get-go, or made it so ONLY the Unova Pokemon were available full stop, and the only way of getting the oldies was through PokeShifter. As it is it's a bit half-hearted - they've gone for neither extreme and it doesn't really make much sense.

In any case, I've always disliked and never understood the whole Regional/National Pokedex thing. It makes no sense to me at all.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Forever said:
    Do you believe the atmosphere the games were trying to create was ruined post elite four when suddenly past Pokemon appear in both trainer battles as well as the wild?
    Forever said:
    And because of this, do you think it's ever possible that we'll one day have games that can really be all new Pokemon and whether it'll get to the point that it's impossible to catch everything, because the games aren't limiting the amount of Pokemon able to be seen?

Yes, I think it did ruin the atmosphere. Sure not everyone has computers or anything to use the Dream World, but we still have the Pokeshifter, plus you can trade with other people. I was getting so used to the new pokemon, and it ruined it when all of these old pokemon started to appear. Sure, it would be fine to have a few pokemon from past generations appear, like Dragonite (:P), but not as many as are in the games.

I do not believe GameFreak will ever actually make a game where no other pokemon will appear, especially since they already had one chance to do that with Unova and failed. It will never become impossible to catch every pokemon, but it may become extremely difficult. =/

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
    Years
  • I see WHY they did it, but I dont agree with it. Or at least the method. At least with sinnoh, the other Pokemon got isolated to that little island, not completely, but still a little bit. They need to either go 100% one way or the other, but put some kind of way to capture these previous pokemon into the game. The Dream World is probably a good idea, but it does limit you to 100 Pokemon to be take out, at least I have heard. I could not verify this, as its not in the game yet, out side of japan anyway.

Another idea is to have islands seperated from the region that the Pokemon from older regions like, but that still makes too little since.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • I loved the idea of freshening everything up, infact they should of done it in DP (Series and games).

Half of the new Pokémon, perhaps more I thought were unimaginative and were rushed in terms of thought and design, than to just combine different types together (my opinion). But I loved the game because of the story line and the whole new graphic set up, so it doesn't bother me too much that all the old Pokémon are in the game.

Although, having them all on one side is basicly Narnia.

Croaker

Fleet Commander
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    It was fine. Only having the new Pokemon for the main story was brilliant but the postgame is the postgame. There is only so much you can do with 150 pokemans without spreading them too thin, especially when you have around 500 more ready to use. They really don't need to make catching them all any more difficult than it is already, or add any silly gimmicks for that. It also gave the incentive to explore the postgame caves and grass.
    Also, we must consider (the numerous) first time players who don't even know the old monsters.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • It's always something stupid that doesn't please you all. Honestly? The fact that there were some old Pokemon bothers people? How else can you get a start on your national pokedex without the originals? Don't say dream world, because not everyone has Wi-Fi. Don't say Poke transfer, because someone might not have old games. What is the problem with old Pokemon being available after the game is completed? It made me love the game more after I saw something different after completing the game. This targets everybody's wants. Just enjoy the game and get over it.

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
    Years
  • It's always something stupid that doesn't please you all. Honestly? The fact that there were some old Pokemon bothers people? How else can you get a start on your national pokedex without the originals? Don't say dream world, because not everyone has Wi-Fi. Don't say Poke transfer, because someone might not have old games. What is the problem with old Pokemon being available after the game is completed? It made me love the game more after I saw something different after completing the game. This targets everybody's wants. Just enjoy the game and get over it.

No one is complaining all that heavily. You make it sound like we are sending death threats to GF.

My point is the lack of realism in these Pokemon not being here. Part of why I loved Platinum, since it had both old and new pokemon in it. I have no true problem with it, but I like realism, even in fantasy games where children seem to be the target audience.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    They were needed seeing as the No 1. complaint for Gen III was that half the old pokemon were unobtainable. There are some pokemon which just can't be found in B/W, but only a handful. (Which you can get from the Dream World anyway.)

So, they were needed.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel like they could have handled it better (maybe have the game recognize you finishing the storyline/viewing the last scene, then over the course of 10 or so DS days have the Pokemon appear more and more), but overall I think the old Pokemon add to the game as much as the new Pokemon. In the beginning, I felt much more confident with my team choices, because I only had to choose from 156 Pokemon instead of 600+. With the Unova Pokedex, I got my confidence high enough that I feel ready to take on the task of trying to catch every Pokemon, because I'm no longer intimidated by the huge number of Pokemon there are. It forces you to think of the Pokedex in smaller parts, imo, which makes it much less intimidating. Throwing you into a world of 650 species of Pokemon and implying that the goal is to catch ALL OF THEM is super overwhelming.

Back