• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post Icon Re-do Competition

Rukario

Banned
Years
  • So.. if any of you noticed, with my last theme PokeCommunity Black version, that some of the post icons (mainly the smileys) have a bad case of the jaggies.

We'd like to solve that for now and future themes.. by having a little contest to see which of you can come up with the best overall looking post icon set in .png format based on (or using) our current set.

Obviously, you don't need to do ALL of them unless you want to for styling reasons (i.e. a whole new style, like web2.0 or whatever).

If you want to create a whole new set, you can also do so providing that it doesn't duplicate the current default set much, and we'll add as a new icon set category.

Since I'm making this a competition, we'll have a $10 PC gift card (or $10 Amazon Gift card) as a prize for best replacement set and the same for best new set.

Contest ends Mar 31st 2011 and is open to any themer / supporter on pc.

Years
    • Seen today
    Could we possibly get an extra week/2 weeks or something? I know these things can kind of eat up a lot of time, and people are busy. But I'll enter at any rate, any specifics in sizes? And to suit a black style such as this or in general?

I look forward to getting to work on this though!

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • the idea here is to replace the default set and/or add a new set that works on every PC style so they need to be bg color neutral (i.e. alpha chan transparent .png)

size isn't that big of a concern, but remember they are post icons and should be around 12 - 16px high by 12 - 30px wide.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • you can post several.. there will be 2 winners.. one for the default set and one for alternate sets.

voting will be done in a public poll open to all PC users. the 2 sets (1 default, 1 alternate) with the most votes win.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • you can post several.. there will be 2 winners.. one for the default set and one for alternate sets.

voting will be done in a public poll open to all PC users. the 2 sets (1 default, 1 alternate) with the most votes win.
    Can the sets be shown without name, as i feel like people tend to pick mods and higher, cause you know...

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • for the voting, yes they will be show as 'sets'

you can, and should name your sets (and I'll rename them the same + a number 1 for the first entry, 2 for the second and so on)

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Looks good. Count me in! ^^

How should we submit these? Are we talking a zipped folder with them all in posted in this thread or PM'd to you?

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • I'm thinking zipped folder for the submission..

but you should also post the set as images so others can see (or do a one image with them all in it kinda thing, similar to how it is displayed in the forum [like my image above]) using BOTH a light and dark background and for use later during the vote process (so I don't have to make those images) to show your work in the poll.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Well I guess I'll get this ball rolling. ^^ Here's the first edition of my icon set (I may make more depending on where the mood takes me).

The idea behind this set is to create something that would work with all themes, yet was uniquely Pokémon, since I feel that the current icons are far too generic. Every image (save one) is related to a Pokémon game in some way - the speech bubbles are from the Red/Blue/Yellow era, the emoticons are from the HGSS speech bubbles, and the arrows are the menu selectors from the GameBoy games. We also have a sign from FireRed/LeafGreen. I've kept the award star, because it still works very well.

There are 20 icons to replace the current 20 icons, all 16x16px. I've kept them all the same size, because otherwise I reckon it would look very untidy.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Kip, that's a perfect submission..

now if we can get them all submitted like that this will be quite fun.
    I will edit out "kips set" in the image and make it set #1 for use in the poll.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • Here is my attempt at a set. It could be better, but I don't have much free time nowadays. :\

Set #1 (Darthatron.zip):

Set #2 (Darthatron2.zip):

Lesson: NEVER let a programmer do artsy stuff.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I thought I'd try my hand at these. I don't usually mingle around with pixel work, but I had a good time with these. =D

I stole your format for the preview, Kip. I hope you don't mind. :P

Back