• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PP Ups

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
    With the announcement of Pokémon Black and White 2, I thought I would ask a question that I have had for some time now. Are PP Ups good items to use, and do competitive battlers use them? They always progressively stack up when I'm playing through a Pokémon game and I don't know whether or not to use them. I'm also hoping to get into competitive battling when the games are released.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I don't play competitively either, but I would imagine that they'd be useful for moves with only 5 PP, such as Fire Blast. There's also abilities like Pressure to take into account, which double PP usage. I don't know how viable 'PP-stalling' is as a tactic, but overall, I can see increasing the PP of moves being helpful in preventing you from limiting your choices in terms of what attack to use during a long winded battle.

For in-game, I don't use my PP Ups because I have a tendency to hoard relatively rare items for "oh, maybe I'll need it later" purposes.

Airodactyl

#142 Forever and Always
    Years
    Partially because I'm sort of OCD when it comes to numbers in things, I never use PP Ups because they make the PP a non-0-or-5 number. Weird, I know, and probably quite petty, but the one time I did use one (I believe in Blue version) on Fire Blast for a Charizard, I just felt weird every time I used that move for the sixth time. I guess that 'experience' has affected me in deep ways when it comes to this extremely narrow part of my life.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't use PP Ups often, even though I considered using them a few times. Even though I battle competitively (Battle Subway or Random Matchup), I don't use them for some reason beforehand.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
    Partially because I'm sort of OCD when it comes to numbers in things, I never use PP Ups because they make the PP a non-0-or-5 number. Weird, I know, and probably quite petty, but the one time I did use one (I believe in Blue version) on Fire Blast for a Charizard, I just felt weird every time I used that move for the sixth time. I guess that 'experience' has affected me in deep ways when it comes to this extremely narrow part of my life.

Actually, you're not the only one. I'm the exact same way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Personally, I love PP Ups and PP Maxes. Lugia's Aeroblast PP is normally set at only 5, so I used them to bump it up to 8. Some of those extra uses come in handy when battling people with teams full of Legendary Pokemon!

Back