• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preparing for battle with Elite Four

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forums and new to Pokemon. I've reached the Pokemon League and this is the first time I'm having to put more than a few minutes thought into picking my team.

More frustrating: This is the first time I'm having to grind levels. Since I'm a new parent and don't have the time for gaming that I once did, I want to make sure I don't waste it.

Here's the team I'm planning on sending into battle against the Elite Four after I spend some time leveling them:

Gothorita, level 35
    Faint Attack
    Psyshock
    Heal Block
    Future Sight
    Item: Lucky Egg

Emboar, level 52
    Take Down
    Rollout
    Arm Thrust
    Flamethrower
    Item: Expert Belt

Sawsbuck, level 44
    Nature Power
    Jump Kick
    Aromatherapy
    Energy Ball
    Item: Miracle Seed

Excadrill, level 41
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Dig
    Hone Claws
    Item: Soft Sand

Basculin, level 41
    Aqua Jet
    Scary Face
    Surf
    Crunch
    Item: Exp. Share

Deino, level 38
    Crunch
    Slam
    Dragon Pulse
    Work Up
    Item: Exp. Share

I thought about swapping out one Pokemon for Unfezant, Emolga, or Sigilyph, but my Emolga got annihilated by Rock-type attacks in the fight against Marshal.

I swapped out Druddigon for Deino, but I'm re-thinking that since my Druddigon is 3 levels higher, has better stats for Attack and Defense, and has a Dark-type move (Night Slash).

Related question: What is the best place to level quickly at this point in the game (i.e. before defeating the Elite Four)? I've read guides on powerleveling after, but not before. For the time being, I'm starting battles with Gothorita (who is holding the Lucky Egg) then calling in Emboar to one-shot most wild Pokemon on Victory Road. Is there a more efficient method of powerleveling available at this point?

The game has been fun (and easy) until now, but I'm quickly losing interest. I've tried to avoid spoilers, but I know there's a wealth of post-game content. I think if I just get past this one hurdle, I can enjoy the game as much as I did before this fight.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated by this Pokemon noob. :)

cipE

Breaking
    Years
  • Well if you want to win, take out Deino lol. Put in Sigilyph. Gorthorita seems to be a weak link at the moment, so I'd consider switching with something for this run. Hmm, if you can't win, just grind until you can :/

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Well if you want to win, take out Deino lol.
    Aye, I decided to swap Deino out for Druddigon since Night Slash is more powerful than Crunch. I had originally picked Deino because he was the Dark-type Pokemon in my collection with the highest stats and that type alignment would have afforded greater defense in two of the four Elite trainer battles.

Put in Sigilyph. Gorthorita seems to be a weak link at the moment, so I'd consider switching with something for this run.
    I pulled Gothorita and replaced her with Victini. The move is based less on battle logic and more on personal preference. :)

Still, I'm willing to swap out Victini for another Psychic-type Pokemon as I don't want to level him (her?) to 49 to unlock Zen Headbutt. Maybe I will pick Sigilyph and level him to 44 for the Psychic attack.

Hmm, if you can't win, just grind until you can :/
    I'll grind a few levels if I need to. I just wish there were a more efficient place to grind levels than Victory Road. :(

UPDATE: So I've been trying out a few new things and this is my team as it stands:

1. Emboar
    2. Basculin
    3. Excadrill
    4. Gothorita (to level to Gothitelle)
    5. Litwick (to level to Chandelure)
    6. Mienfoo
    I was able to take down Grimsley with a similar team, but that roster included Sawsbuck and Druddigon.

I don't have any particularly strong Grass TMs (just Grass Knot), so I was thinking of bringing Emolga back on board to handle Water opponents and cover the Flying type (though not necessarily during the battle against Marshal since his Pokemon have Rock-type attacks).

At this point, though, I'm not enjoying the game as much as I was. :( I ran into a similar roadblock in Dragon Quest IX, but DQIX has Metal Slimes (and Liquid Metal Slimes) for convenient powerleveling. I haven't found a comparable spot pre-E4 in Pokemon Black yet.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. :) Again, I don't mind grinding a few levels here and there. I just don't want to have to spend hours doing it to beat the Elite Four.

Last edited:

BlueHighwind

EEEEEEVEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2012
    Honestly?
    You NEVER figured out the Audino training method?
    Well, here is how.
    Go to any normal patch of grass
    Ride your bike in a straight line outside the grass.
    When you see a patch of shaking grass, it is most likely an Audino
    Go into the shaking grass.
    Have your lead Pokemon hold the lucky egg
    Lucky Egg+KO Audino=EASY Experience.

Hope that helps.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Honestly?
    You NEVER figured out the Audino training method?

Not before I posted the thread, no:
    Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forums and new to Pokemon. I've reached the Pokemon League and this is the first time I'm having to put more than a few minutes thought into picking my team.

More frustrating: This is the first time I'm having to grind levels.

Well, here is how.
    Go to any normal patch of grass
    Ride your bike in a straight line outside the grass.
    When you see a patch of shaking grass, it is most likely an Audino
    Go into the shaking grass.
    Have your lead Pokemon hold the lucky egg
    Lucky Egg+KO Audino=EASY Experience.

Hope that helps.
    It does indeed. :)

I searched for powerleveling methods and found only ONE mention of pre-E4 powerleveling locations (specifically, the last patch of light grass before the Badge Gates). This information could be very useful to everyone who finds themselves outgunned on their first battle versus the Elite Four (which I imagine is the majority of players).

Here is my current team:

Basculin 47 @ BlackGlasses
    Aqua Jet
    Scary Face
    Surf
    Crunch

Excadrill 46 @ Soft Sand
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Dig
    Swords Dance

Lampent 45 @ Charcoal
    Will-O-Wisp
    Flame Burst
    Curse
    Hex

Gothitelle 46 @ Quick Claw
    Faint Attack
    Psychic
    Heal Block
    Future Sight

Sawsbuck 46 @ Miracle Seed
    Nature Power
    Jump Kick
    Aromatherapy
    Energy Ball

Emboar 55 @ Expert Belt
    Roar
    Rollout
    Arm Thrust
    Flamethrower

I've narrowly defeated Marshal and Shauntal and am confident I can take down Grimsley as I did so with a weaker team. My main concern is Caitlin; her Reuniclus is a beast. She's easily been my most difficult opponent of the four.

I'm slowly making my way there, but I'm still looking for suggestions. I've collected many TMs and four HMs on my journey, so I may swap out some moves before the battle against Caitlin.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Did you get the Cover Fossil (in the Desert Resort)?

Carracosta is far superior to Basculin and will help you if you train it. The only downside to Carracosta is it's speed, but you have aqua jet to help with that!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Did you get the Cover Fossil (in the Desert Resort)?
    I did. I haven't leveled Tirtouga yet, but I'm getting ready to make a list of Pokemon to level and evolve.

In related news: I beat the game! I narrowly defeated the Caitlyn, handily defeated the next boss, and then VERY narrowly defeated the boss after.

Carracosta is far superior to Basculin and will help you if you train it. The only downside to Carracosta is it's speed, but you have aqua jet to help with that!
    I've gotten attached to my Basculin (obtained him in a trade with a NPC and he's been a powerhouse in several major battles), but I'll give Tirtouga/Carracosta a shot.

Now that I've finished the main game, I'm looking forward to post-game content and possibly battling others online. I just picked up my first two eggs immediately after defeating the Elite Four and have been reading up on breeding. (It makes my head spin and vaguely reminds me of Fusion in Persona 3.)

I'm also planning on squaring off against Alder when I'm ready, so keep the team advice coming! :)

I also picked up several spare Emolgas for trading while leveling near the Badge Gates and hope to pick up Axew and Tynamo (and a few other Pokemon I haven't caught yet) in trades.

Bankaiglade

Rainbow Trainer
    Years
  • I beat the game...So if need any help thinking of beating the elite four During the main or during post game just pm or comment on my profile! Oh and...Is axew and deino catchable in black? and that one pokemon with the long white hair! And how do i complete the pokedex?! I cant seem to see all the pokemon...xD

I did. I haven't leveled Tirtouga yet, but I'm getting ready to make a list of Pokemon to level and evolve.

In related news: I beat the game! I narrowly defeated the Caitlyn, handily defeated the next boss, and then VERY narrowly defeated the boss after.

I've gotten attached to my Basculin (obtained him in a trade with a NPC and he's been a powerhouse in several major battles), but I'll give Tirtouga/Carracosta a shot.

Now that I've finished the main game, I'm looking forward to post-game content and possibly battling others online. I just picked up my first two eggs immediately after defeating the Elite Four and have been reading up on breeding. (It makes my head spin and vaguely reminds me of Fusion in Persona 3.)

I'm also planning on squaring off against Alder when I'm ready, so keep the team advice coming! :)

I also picked up several spare Emolgas for trading while leveling near the Badge Gates and hope to pick up Axew and Tynamo (and a few other Pokemon I haven't caught yet) in trades.
    Hes Got an Exclusive theme background music,xD Okay so,Ill tell ya the pokemon he has and their levels! Accelgor,Lv.75,Bouffalant,Lv.75,Escavalier,Lv.75,Druddigon,Lv.75,Volcorona,Lv.77(BEWARE:It knows HYPER BEAM!!!) And Finally....Vanilluxe,Lv.75!His Prize money is 30800 Poke xD So Now heres How i`d go about Winning against him,Bouffalant,uses head charge,so,either weaken it or use a pokemon that can take the move,But can also knock it into the red zone so when it uses head charge its power will knock it out!Vanilluxe,easyest of his to defeat,just use a super effect move,here.Accelgor,A strong fire type move will(heat wave for an example) take it out.Escavalier,Its hard to defeat,I`d probaly use a double team/toxic/or substitute trick...But using your strongest moves will be usefull too.(if its any help it knows iron head..)Druddigon,ur Strongest ice or dragon type move would work to knock it out.Volcorona,It knows hyper beam and Quiver dance (raises most of its stats not attack and defense though)so A water or flying type would be most effective here,just beat it with speed and attack,because its defense isnt very great,but its not low!Well,Thats what i recommend,also,try to get oen of your pokemon to level 80 and the others at an average of level....76? Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    You might also want to consider dropping Emboar or Lampent as you don't need 2 fire types to add to your weaknesses. You are lacking a decent tank or annoyer (all your pokemon are weak defensively) which would help a lot. Try a Whimsicott!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • ^ Yeah, I second that. It's not always good to have the same type twice (or more) on a team especially going against the Elite Four, I always tend to try and having all different types that way you've got more of a chance of having a perfect matchup. maybe an Ice type would be good, Vanilluxe posibily, great base stat total.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    You might also want to consider dropping Emboar or Lampent as you don't need 2 fire types to add to your weaknesses.
    Good point.

I'm currently leveling 3 Pokemon (Deino, Mienshao, and Carracosta). I may drop Emboar in favor of Lampent when preparing for the rematch with the Elite Four, if only to have a Ghost type in the party. I've already dropped Basculin in favor of Carracosta and will likely drop Excadrill as well.

Per Suicune's suggestion, I'll probably start leveling a Vanillite to have a strong Ice-type Pokemon. I caught Kyurem, but, as strange it may sound, I'd like to win the rematch against the Elite Four without using any legendary Pokemon.

You are lacking a decent tank or annoyer (all your pokemon are weak defensively) which would help a lot. Try a Whimsicott!
    I had thought that Excadrill would have a strong defensive stat, but I later learned that was not the case. (He just looks tough.) I wouldn't have expected a Whimsicott to have a strong defense, but I'll give one a try!

Back