• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Problem Partner Error

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2021
    I have a problem with my version of Pokémon Essentials ... I almost finished my project, but I got a weird error when selecting a partner, although I followed the example of route 3. The error occurs during the battle, where my partner (who was already registered and selected in the file trainers.txt) does not appear (trback pictures is present). His pokémon instead appear, but do not attack. Who can help me?
    Error Name is "TypeError", "Symbol as array index".
    P.S.: Sorry for my English :_D

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    Can you post a screenshot of your partner event? That might help us zero in on the issue.

Your error means that somewhere you reference an array item, but instead of using an integer (or a variable assigned an integer) for the array index, there is a symbol (probably followed by a word if some sort). So for example, instead of array[3] or array[ variable], you've probably got something like array[:item] or used a variable whose assignment begins with a symbol.
    The other possibility is that you used brackets somewhere when parentheses were called for, but I don't think that's as likely.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2021
    Problem Partner Error

Problem Partner Error

Thanks for the reply. However, I sent you these two photos as an attachment ... the first shows the event (the text is in Italian but there are also scripts), while the second shows the error that comes out during the battle.

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    Hmmm, the event looks ok. The problem may be with the PBS file. What does the partner Trainers line in trainers.txt look like?

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2021
    Problem Partner Error

Problem Partner Error
    So, I'll post the trback photo in the "Graphics" folder and also the partner line in "trainers.txt". I took the items from him, because he had some, but the situation does not change ...
    In another version of Pokemon Essentials (17.1), I have overwritten route 3 event, and it works perfectly ... I wouldn't want to have touched anything in the program's internal scripts ...

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    Okay, so I finally had a chance to look at the script referenced in the error message. That's where it is retrieving the trainer's skill level from trainertypes.txt. So it sounds like that might be where the error is actually coming from.
    Sorry for the runaround. This hasn't been as straightforward as I initially expected.

Years
  • deleted your duplicate thread; please keep one discussion/forum, please.

also it may help us in the future if you used the snipping tool to make screenshots of your issues. type snipping tool in your windows search bar and the program should pop up. the program is self-explanatory to use. This makes reading your errors and PBS files easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AxzMc9_kEc

Some of your mistakes are due to that awkward event. You should look at that video and make sure you've followed every step correctly.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2021
    Thanks to all three for the help provided. The video tutorial I had already seen but I will have to see it again ... and sorry for the double thread...

Ragox

Ragox
    Years
  • Dear Rob, I've been faced with the same error to the point I almost completely deinstalled Elite Battle System in the hopes of fixing it.
    The error lies within your pbRegisterPartner bit;
    The wiki and examples state you can use pbRegisterPartner(:TRAINER,"Name",PartyNumber), but what you should try instead is pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::TRAINER,"Name",PartyNumber).
    I am sorry it's like almost a year late, but I hope it might help you and anyone that might stumble across this problem in the future.

Back