• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Redwood's Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof.Redwood

Researcher
Years
Hey PC, after a long time, I'm making a Sprite Showcase.

I'll post a few of my creations. They will all have names eventually but creativity is running low.

Some are mixes, later one's will be scratch or scratch/mixes.

PRE-EVOLUTIONS
heatranpreevolutionug8.png
Heatrunt - Evolves into Heatran - The only chance of a Heatrunt being born is in Volcano caverns. Their breeding grounds are often so hot that humans don't get the opportunity to see them often.
misdreavuspreevolutionmc5.png
Misdemean - Evolves into Misdreavus - People have been surprised to find this Pokémon lurking over their bed while they're sleeping. It is best to shew them away because they've been known to pull pranks on unexpecting victims.
murkrowpreevolutionmr6.png
Murkid - Evolves into Murkrow
EVOLUTIONS
jynxevolutionkl1.png
Gladice - Evolves from Jynx - Unknown evolution method - Gladice uses stilts to increase it height and physical appearance. If it were to fall it is said that they get enormous food cravings.
sudowoodoevolutionlk4.png
Falsawood - Evolves from Sudowoodo - Trade Sudowoodo holding Petrified Wood

I'll post more later. You're free to post your opinion but I'm not looking for C+C, thanks.

*Special Thanks to Don Patch for suggesting Gladice and Falsawood's names!

Last edited:

MegaFuz

Über Title
Years
I'd have to agree with Samson on this one. Heatrunt looks really good, even though it's just a heavy edit of Aron. The others need some major work, especially Misdemean and Murkid. The anatomy just looks far off and the shading and outlining could both use a major overhaul.

Years
Heatrunt is awesome, but your other ones could use some work.

For the second one, it should be a little bigger and in a better pose. You also need to shade properly the thing underneath the purple collar (Not the legs)

For the third one, just make it a little bigger and shade the gray feathers better.

For the last one, try making it smaller, so it doesn't look like a trainer edit. Also, try giving it a different pose. (I thought of a name: Gladyss)

Prof.Redwood

Researcher
Years
thanks guys.. I respect your opinion but I'm not looking for ways to improve.. I didn't even come looking for C+C.. when I get an idea it's just that, an idea. Later, if people liked the idea I'll do it completely from scratch.

I like the name Donpatch and it's almost my grandmother's name. I might change it to Gladice tho to give it more of an elemental sound..

My last one for now is my Sudowoodo Evo:
Took me the longest out of all the one's posted so far. The feet are completely custom and a bit of the arms. almost completely reshaded.

MegaFuz

Über Title
Years
thanks guys.. I respect your opinion but I'm not looking for ways to improve.. I didn't even come looking for C+C.. when I get an idea it's just that, an idea. Later, if people liked the idea I'll do it completely from scratch.

I like the name Donpatch and it's almost my grandmother's name. I might change it to Gladice tho to give it more of an elemental sound..

My last one for now is my Sudowoodo Evo:
Took me the longest out of all the one's posted so far. The feet are completely custom and a bit of the arms. almost completely reshaded.

You aren't going to get many posts in here if you are going to refuse C&C from people. Seriously...what is the point in posting this stuff if you don't want to hear people's critique? Do you only want to see the noobish posts like "OMG LOL THEY'RE ALL AMAZING 10/10 FOR ALL OF THEM!!"? No spriter is perfect, including you, so I would suggest becoming more open to people's criticism. =\

Prof.Redwood

Researcher
Years
I don't want C+C because I get a lot of n00bish people telling me what I should improve on then after when I take a look at their work, they don't even take their own advice on theirs..

I've been doing this a LONG time (I've been here at PC almost along as you have, unless you have a different login aswell). I've gotten a lot better than I was.. and I'm not perfect and I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else..

thing is the crit doesn't change even when I get better..
'improve the outline' - I swear, people have an macro button on their Keyboard that puts that in for them automatically so they sound smart. I've had people comment on improving the outline on something I ONLY recolored..
'the shading is off' - I get this all the time too.. it goes from the top left.. its the only light source unless there is fire on the sprite.. I know it.. Ive heard for almost 6 years now.. but its all I get

<6 word comments are useless and thats all I ever get.. so I'm just skimming out the garbage

a lot of the crit is only what a particular person would do differently.. and most the time it wouldn't make it look more authentic.. it would make it look more like theirs.. not mine

now, I have my reasons for not wanted to change mine and I already explained that they are just to get reactions to find out if they are worth doing 100% from scratch..

I came back here (I don't think I've made a post in the spriting area in over 12 months) because the few people that remain here actually have GOOD ideas.. this place always has.. and if anyone were to comment on the design it would be very helpful.. I except critique on fakes I don't ever plan on redoing from scratch.

You're probably wondering why I don't post any of my old work. I had issues with a mod here. I never did anything wrong, just a conflict of interests. I left and the mod said some awful things about me after as well, I don't even know if the person knows that I had heard but I don't care. except for that little problem, I've always enjoyed it here, and thats why I came back. I don't want another issue with a mod within 24 hours of me creating a new account. I didn't do anything wrong.

I'm getting a lot of garbage from the people at SPP as well, all I can say is: Don't like? Don't Care!

You can MOD this forum as much as you want but as long as I'm not doing anything wrong: don't give me a hard time.

I hope I dont need to explain anything else to you.

Don Patch, thats a great name.. Thanks :) I'll make sure to give you credit for it aswell.

Probably post one more tonight.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
you're a good spriter, i can see that, but you need to work on your concepts a lot more. that sudowoodo evo doesn't look like an evo... heck, it doesn't look much like a pokemon, but the shading and outlining is done well. you just need to work on presenting a better design for your concepts. for example, your jynx evo looks like a purple Princess Peach... also, Sudowoodo's evo, you made it look like an elongated tree, when in fact, Sudowoodo is not necessarily a tree, but just has the disguise of a tree. it's just a long perch of stone with green boulders, NOT a tree. you really have to look at extending that concept of the original pokemon into the evolution. so it should look more like a weathered stone rather a tree with twigs.

Prof.Redwood

Researcher
Years
I'll try to explain Falsawood (<-lovin that :P) alittle bit.. at least where all my ideas came from:

I was trying to think of a way to disguise Sudowoodo, the rock golem, even moreso. I was thinking.. what if he was fused with bark. Thats where the item comes in. I decided to go with Petrified wood.

Dictionary.com's Petrified
1. to convert into stone or a stony substance.

Wikipedia: Petrified wood is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals.

I figured if this was grafted on it I could get away with a better disguise.

Now the green stuff on its head... Moss.. Its the only way I could think that a rock could gain vegetation. Linky

The 'rock balls' (never was sure what they were) were turned into rock points in the shape of leaves.. but they still arn't. Any idea what the yellow dots or the antennae were for on Sudowoodo.. I decided to leave them out..

You're definetly right after Gladice tho it does look like a cross of peach and Grimace.. It wasn't at all on purpose.. I'll do some sketches to get a better look for the gown and hair.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I like your sprites alot, the coloring and the sahding is done very well

jynxevolutionkl1.png
Gladice - Evolves from Jynx - Unknown evolution method - Gladice uses stilts to increase it height and physical appearance. If it were to fall it is said that they get enormous food cravings.

This one creeps me out, I would never want to think of a Jynx evolution

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back