• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    My first language was BASIC... Because that was the only thing my mum could teach me when I was little.
    Then I think, I taught myself PHP because I used to notice the .php extension in submitted forms and such and I wanted to do that (LOL) Took me 4 years? 8 years to 12 I think... Meh, I must've done things like bash and batch scripts before PHP...
    Then I started with C, and discovered Game Programming... Since most OpenGL, SDL etc tutorials were in C++, I moved to it... My early programs that were in C++ had bits from C here and there, took a while to completely learn C++ ways of doing things. It's been almost four years since then, 13 years to 17, and now I'm comfortable with almost all features of C++.
    Learning languages like Ruby, C# etc took like a week or less after I completed C++.

I never really took training, picked up things from books and online resources...

Quisling

Quisling deceives you all.
    Years
    I was always interested in OO programming, so I first picked up Smalltalk, which was one of the first OO language. When I became comfortable with ST, I then went to learn a new language, which is Delphi. I designed some programs using Delphi and it was easy to handle and quick to master.

After that, I picked up Perl, which I dropped/stopped learning after being not-so-productive with it. Finally, I got introduced to C++, which I use most of the time now and I am getting pretty good at it so far.

Though ST is now outdated and limited to some programmers, it will remain the best language I have ever used. I took a 2 month course in C++ last summer and I am now learning it by myself, through online tutorials and some interesing books.

Years
    I know a bit of C#, Python, and Java.
    I usually program in C#, and learned a bit of Java from taking AP Computer Science.

Does anyone know where I can find a good network programming tutorial (C#)
    I'd like to rewrite my IRC Bot from scratch (I'm currently using a library).

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I usually program in C#, and learned a bit of Java from taking AP Computer Science.

Network stuff is pretty rough. I don't know any offhand; Google's probably your best bet. If the library's open source, it might help to look at it and see how it works.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years

I once did write an IRC bot in PHP I think... Wasn't that difficult... But I think there are better ways to create a bot than to program your own.

If you were using C++, I'd provide more help :P

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    ^ Like this guy said, I think programming one is not so easy; there are better ways, I presume. Try Beej's NP tutorial.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Somebody tell me what to do? I don't have anything to program :P

Been ages!

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I was going to ask something like this a while ago :O I haven't been programming for a little over 1 months now and I want to try something new; SDL is on pause.

My friend suggested I try Objective-C to develop applications for the Mac, since I own a Mac myself, but I can't find a good tutorial or anything on it x[ And I even read some documents on D and MATLAB, and I am thinking of picking one up in this year.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I've been meaning to develop a program that reads two patterns from a file using regular expressions and batch renames anything matching the first pattern so it matches the second. If someone wants to do that, be my guest.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    My friend suggested I try Objective-C to develop applications for the Mac, since I own a Mac myself, but I can't find a good tutorial or anything on it x[

developer.apple.com has everything you need. Seriously.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Is there an IDE/compiler, to develop Apple applications, for Windows? I mean Xcode only works for Mac. Probably something stupid to ask, but just checking.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Why would you want to create Apple software on windows?

In any case you would require a testbed machine to debug it... Why not just get a mac.

If nothing else you get those copies of mac that work on a PC. Just check any torrent search engine, I'm forgetting what it is called.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    What I meant is I need to learn how to program applications on Windows, since I do not have a Mac currently. Though I am probably getting one on Christmas, so yea.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Which language are you trying to learn? I haven't ever used a Mac long enough or programmed something for them...

From the Wiki:
    The Xcode suite includes a modified version of free software GNU Compiler Collection (GCC, apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 as well as apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1, with the former being the default), and supports C, C++, Fortran, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python and Ruby source code

Dev-C++ IDE is otherwise obsolete but it is the easiest way to get a compiler similar to GCC on Windows. Otherwise get MingW or Cygwin on Windows to get GCC.
    However MSVC++ IDE and compiler is better for C or C++.
    For fortran you could get the compiler with cygwin aswell (It used to be called f77 or something)
    For Java, Python, Ruby just download the compiler / interpreter from the website.
    Notepad++ is a good all-purpose IDE if you want.

The rest would work best with Apple Mac I guess.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    I saw someone post this code somewhere:

Code:
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
        int x = 10;
        while( x --> 0) // x tends to 0
        {
            std::cout << x;
        }
        return 0;
    }
    Made me laugh for a while :D

Oh btw. I met someone who compiles Objective programs on a PC also (Under which OS, idk). He has a modified version of GCC. You'll have to google it, but now I know it is possible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well, yesterday I decided to begin learning how to code in C++. Any guides for beginners that you might have to recommend?

Quite frankly, I have extremely little prior experience coding (unless you count HTML/CSS/a little bit of Javascript) and being able to learn this stuff would be really good.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I got nothing, just this. I know most of these languages, (and I understand the master programmer one fairly well) and it made me LOL.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Well, yesterday I decided to begin learning how to code in C++. Any guides for beginners that you might have to recommend?

Quite frankly, I have extremely little prior experience coding (unless you count HTML/CSS/a little bit of Javascript) and being able to learn this stuff would be really good.

I always recommend a book rather than online sources, but this particular tutorial was very helpful for me. This guide mainly discusses the basics at first and slowly introduces OOP. If you have background knowledge in JavaScript, it should help you considering the syntax differs a bit.

Other sources that would be a set-up video tutorial on YouTube (a very good one, as well): https://www.youtube.com/user/antiRTFM

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back