• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
  • 'kay so I've got a quick question for you guys. I'm looking for a good way to build applications/executables. See, I've been doing some research on Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and I'd like to create a level editor so that I can edit the level data in a more user-friendly environment than editing bytes in a hex editor. However, I don't really know where to start. Most of my programming experience comes from reverse engineering games so I'm a lot better with low-level programming than with all of this high-level crap with your classes and inheritance and polymorphism gobbledygook. However, I do have some experience with C/C++ programming from an Intro to Programming class I took a while ago and from my application of that knowledge into GBA game development. But making applications is new territory for me. It seems like a lot of tool makers use Visual Basic but I haven't heard good things about it, to be honest. Are there any alternatives?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • 'kay so I've got a quick question for you guys. I'm looking for a good way to build applications/executables. See, I've been doing some research on Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and I'd like to create a level editor so that I can edit the level data in a more user-friendly environment than editing bytes in a hex editor. However, I don't really know where to start. Most of my programming experience comes from reverse engineering games so I'm a lot better with low-level programming than with all of this high-level crap with your classes and inheritance and polymorphism gobbledygook. However, I do have some experience with C/C++ programming from an Intro to Programming class I took a while ago and from my application of that knowledge into GBA game development. But making applications is new territory for me. It seems like a lot of tool makers use Visual Basic but I haven't heard good things about it, to be honest. Are there any alternatives?
    C# is Visual Basic with sane syntax. Alternately, you could learn the Windows API for C.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2010
    I'm not stick to VB, in fact I'm not programming in any language now. Too busy at school. And yes, I programmed a little in C # with Visual Studio 2008, which was great. Very similar to VB. Very similar to the Java programming language. But I have great memories with VB, and that's fine too. It is a language of much of his time.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    So, I've been kinda starting to learn C++, but I heard about C and C# etc, thinking that C++ is enough to make programs. But I've heard somewhere that e.g. the layout and visual stuff can only be done with C#? I'm not sure if it's true. Also what is the difference between C++ and C# they're both Object-Orientated right?

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
    Years
  • So, I've been kinda starting to learn C++, but I heard about C and C# etc, thinking that C++ is enough to make programs. But I've heard somewhere that e.g. the layout and visual stuff can only be done with C#? I'm not sure if it's true. Also what is the difference between C++ and C# they're both Object-Orientated right?

I don't know all of the changes made in C#, but I do know that pointers in C# are not as powerful (or useful).

For example-
    Code:
    // Given a sorted list at *head, insert the element item at the first
    // location where all earlier elements have lesser or equal value.
    void insert(struct element **head, struct element *item)
    {
        struct element ** p;  // p points to a pointer to an element

for (p = head; *p != NULL; p = &(*p)->next)
        {
            if (item->value <= (*p)->value)
                break;
        }
        item->next = *p;
        *p = item;
    }

// Caller does this:
    insert(&head, item);

Let's pretend the above code is in C# (lol). It would not fly in C# as C# won't let you use double indirection.
    You also have to label anything that has to do with directly accessing memory as 'unsafe'.

pointers how do they work? xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    So, I've been kinda starting to learn C++, but I heard about C and C# etc, thinking that C++ is enough to make programs. But I've heard somewhere that e.g. the layout and visual stuff can only be done with C#? I'm not sure if it's true. Also what is the difference between C++ and C# they're both Object-Orientated right?

If your in it to make cute little windows apps, Any .NET language will do (VB.Net, C#, etc...)

If you are going to be making programs that require lower level management, c++ or c is the way to go. if you are STARTING to learn how to program in OOP, you can start with C# or Java, its not going to hurt. then you can apply what you've learned in c++.

But, others have opinions. Normally when you ask a group of programmers about languages, each and every one of them will have a different argument, and they will all think they are right, because thats just how programmers are =] so watch out

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    I heard that it's easier to go from C++ to C# and not the other way around.. Is that true?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back