• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PROJECT32

Years
  • 1. Introduction: What is PROJECT32?

PROJECT32 originally began as a fangame project of mine, which was an original idea in the beginning. The plan was to fully utilize the graphics engine of RPG Maker XP. When I ran out of ideas for my game, I decided I was going to do a fangame. The goal was to make something original, something that hadn't been done in the community. Once again, I was not pleased with the ideas that I thought up. Now, I am making this a project for he community, and hopefully with support from it, too. The project is a new graphics set for fangames, as well as modified scripts from Pokémon Essentials to go with them, and a few other resources that are completely original.

2. Mission: What is this for?

Currently, the community is dependant on Nintendo-related material. This includes Nintendo sprites and Nintendo-based sprites, such as the ones made by the famous Kyledove/Kymotonian. One goal of this project is to make a new standard, one that isn't so reliant on Nintendo material of any sort. This will also make us a little more okay with the Nintendo Legal Department.

Another goal of this project is to make fangames a little faster. As many of you know, Pokémon Essentials uses a scaling engine to make graphics appear to be the correct resolution. This makes many fangmes use a little more CPU power than they should. While I do know that it can be turned off, if there is a new standard of graphics set that fully utilize the RPG Maker graphics engine, this scaling system would not be neded at all.

The third mission is to make fangames look different from the real games, and from eachother. Many games are starting to look the same as the real games, which is not very cool. While the game development should strive to make games that feel like Pokémon ones, we shouldn't make games that look like them, too. Fangames are also starting to look way too similar to one another. That is why I will release just the plain outlines for every single graphic I make for this project.

3. Help: What can I do?

Since the project is being made for the community, help from the community it is being made for would be greatly appreciated. No submission will be denied, and the submitter will be properly credited. You can provide help in any of the following fields:

• Spriting (of any sort)
    • Music composition
    • Script composition
    • General feedback
    Of course, you needn't feel obligated to help, but any and all help is greatly appreciated. Remember: this is for you. And no piece will be denied.*

Sprite theft will not be accepted. Sprite theft includes conversions of other people's work that the creator wishes people not to use.

4. The Work: Where is it? When and how can I use it?

As you may have seen, I have had previews of it floating around my deviantArt account and here. The good news is that all that work, plus some you haven't seen yet, is all here. The better news, however, is that it can all be used now! Some of my pieces will fit great in current games, but others will obviously not. Below this paragraph is a sheet with all of the work so far, in no particular arrangement.

PROJECT32

I do realize that no one is going to adopt this yet (or possibly at all). That is all fine with me.

As per the usage of the work, that all depends on the wishes of the creator. If a creator wishes to not allow the use of a piece on anything besides an RPG Maker game, then so be it. The creator, however, cannot wish that a submitted piece not be used at all. This is not a showcase of any sorts. If a user wishes to take down a piece of work, than that person may do so, too.

5. Contributers: Who do I give credit to?

As of now, I am the only contributer. I will still post myself as an example as to how I will post contributers.
    • Name: Alistair
    • Submitted Work: Sprites/Graphics
    • Latest Submission: July 31, 2009
    • License: Read Here
    • Special Notes: As stated in my lisence, I do allow modifications of my work. You are allowed to submit recolors and edits of my work. This will include (in the future) works using my original outlines. If you do make a variation of my work, you must allow someone to use use if they wish.

Atomic Reactor

So is this like a resources thread?
    Cause one of those already exists?

Those look great btw alistair lol.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I really like the Pokemon Center and Pokemart. I hope this project becomes a large success. I almost wish I was able to sprite Tiles good enough.

Years
  • @AR: Oh, no. This isn't a reasource thread, not at all. It is a general project for Pokémon fangames, much like Essentials is (granted, a bit different). I already told Neo-Dragon about it, and he said I should make a thread when I am ready (I still have the PM, too). This encompasses not only the graphics end, but eventually will include modified scripts of Pokémon Essentials to get everything working correctly.

Tanks for the comments. Just remember, though, I am not here to showcase my work. That's not what this is about.

I also failed to mention in the thread that I am going to make all the base tiles. As you can very well see, a decent amount are done, and some are still in the works. There should be enough to possibly make a starter town as of now, and there is definately enough to make a city (as I have already demonstrated). In addition to some other tasks I have to do (more Acanthite tiles), I am working on some mountain tiles, ledge tiles, and finishing the buildings I have already made. Of course, spriting in this resolution takes a little while longer than in the regular one, but I will get the basics done before school starts, and hopefully some extras, too.

Also forgot to mention that I am re-animating the overworld that you can see in my sig (lost the original somehow). As soon as the overworld base is done being animated, I will post that, too.

Atomic Reactor

I'm sorry... So you want game makers to start using this? Instead of other tiles?
    Sorry for not understanding :(

Years
  • Basically, he wants to make the fan-games in the forum a lot more original. He is doing this by supplying a whole new style of tilesets. But it's a project, which means that everyone else can contribute with custom scripts and their own custom tiles.

Good luck with this, the tiles so far are really great (Y) I would really like to use them, but the current game i'm working on at the moment is on a forum with more... conservative ideals. I'll use them eventually though. Hopefully in the future I can also donate some stuff, just as soon as I learn how to script/sprite tiles.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    This is a pretty awesome project and I considered using it. The only problem is this doesn't match the Pokemon style too much. The Pokemart and the houses with the square shingles and lines match best with the game. The other ones really do not (like the second row of houses).

All in all can't really base this around a game until a lot of the tiles that are out are replaced with it, but I can't wait to see the other stuff you may make. There is definitely a lack of larger (1.5-2x larger than normal) sprites that aren't pixelated like yours.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I was waiting for you to release these tiles that were in your sig. They look excellent ;)

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • Wasn't that the real point of it?

Your art looks a bit flat, think of it this way. You need to decide where you are actually looking at it from, try giving them a perspective. THey look like you took the front wall of the building and the roof and and just kept then on the floor. It should look a bit 3Dish. Look at the 2D rips of diamond and pearl. Thats perspective. Secondly, you could make yours look like the camera is at an angle and not just facing down. Like if you are on a helicopter and your camera is like this | then the roofs should be flatly visible, while if the camera is like this / then the wall is visible but the roof seems to be getting smaller behind.

The trees look like they are smaller than the buildings, there are many big trees aren't there? Also for something large like this, the things need to be a bit more detailed. Like the trees, the branches and leaves.

Years
  • Actually, DrCoolSanta, the graphics were meant to be for a project of mine. If you would have read the frst post, you would have known that.

Anyway, in response to your crit, I do see your points. But, there are some things I don't really agree with.

First off, just because they are higher resolution does not mean that they should be as detailed as possible. In case you missed out on the past few official games, the graphics have stayed simple. That is the point of these, too, to keep the simplicity that is found in the official graphics. While I do realize I can do better with my textures and details, I am not going to go detail crazy just because I am using a higher resolution. This can include the trees, too. The trees found in the official games are not really that big in comparison to the buildings. They are always small. And please, do not think I am trying to make an excuse, either. It really is the style I am going for.

As per the perspective thing, I realize I can shade them a bit better to give them better depth, but other than that, the perspective is actually correct. The perspective was based on the one used in FR/LG graphics. About the 3D remark, they are not based on 3D work, therefor they will not look 3D at all. They are meant to be 2D. And also, as you should notice, the tiles in Kyleove's Sinnoh set have many edges cut off or at wierd angles, which is something that I have not really added into any tiles yet. Of course, that gives them the addition feeling of dimension.

I will take into acount all of your crit, however, and work on reshading current tiles and work on textures for future tiles. Thanks a bunch, seriously.

And thanks for the comments, guys. It's really nice to se people interested in this project. After I am done with the Acanthite tiles I am working on, I will post some more.

Back